Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW 1200GS engine rebuild  (Read 26939 times)

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
Re: BMW 1200GS engine rebuild
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2013, 01:32:15 pm »
I'd have to guess yellow?

First guy that's been paying attention to my original question  :deal:  :imaposer:

I made so much shit, that the guys were too shocked to answer this one.  :lamer:

Thanks Buzz. Maybe I must add a poll? Then I can give BMW some indication.
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2013, 01:35:10 pm »
By the way Buzz, I forgot to thank you on this one. Without your help, stripping it down and assembling it would have been a major operation. You got the righthand side of the bike down to an art.

Seems like your supervision was a bit kind on the engine assembly though!  :biggrin:
HP2 HPN Smile generator
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2013, 01:36:46 pm »
You never invited me for the assembly, cause you knew what I would say  :deal:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #103 on: June 03, 2013, 01:37:17 pm »
Oh, and it's only a pleasure, kind of you to let me learn on your bike  ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2013, 01:42:39 pm »
You never invited me for the assembly, cause you knew what I would say  :deal:

Its that old fat guy Krag Kris again. The Landy mechanic. Thats probably why!  :imaposer:
HP2 HPN Smile generator

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #105 on: June 03, 2013, 03:47:45 pm »
Pleco and if you were down the road, I would have asked to be your spanner boy. I would sit at your feet and learn from you.  :lol8: :thumleft:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Online capeklr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #106 on: June 03, 2013, 04:19:13 pm »
Pleco and if you were down the road, I would have asked to be your spanner boy. I would sit at your feet and learn from you.  :lol8: :thumleft:

You are down the road, the road just happens to be +- 1400km's long.  >:D

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #107 on: June 18, 2013, 10:42:02 am »
OK, I visited Donfords in Stellenbosch on the 9th.

Only good thing is that the guy refused to sell me a bearing, until I can positively tell which one I want. Not sure how this relates to customer service, as we get drilled by the boss to make sure we understand that the customer comes to us (the industry experts  :deal:) for advice. Not the other way around.

Me: Good morning, can I see your workshop manager?

Parts salesman: Yes sure just hold on.

WM arrives

Me: (Showing him the crank with the colour dots) Can you please identify these colours and supply me with the right bearings in oversize?

WM: Sorry sir, we cannot do that. You will need to specify the bearings.

Me: OK, can you then just supply me with an oversize yellow bearing set?

WM: You cannot cut the crank, as we do not sell oversize bearings. You need to specify the colours for the different sizes.

Me: Yes, the colours are 0.01mm apart, but you get the 3 colours also in an +0.25 each, so you can cut the crank.

WM: No, the colours are the different sizes. You cannot cut the crank, you have to replace the crank with all the bearings and conrods as a matched set. (about 20k)

At this point my buddy walks away.  :dousing:

Me: (I pull out the workshop manual) Here on the manual they talk about grinding stage 0 and stage 1. 0.25mm. Please look at your screen. (WM looks) Do you see the 3 colour bearings (yes). Now scroll down, and do you see the 3 colour bearing sets in +0.25?

WM: Yes, but the colours are the different sizes.

Me: Jip, they are 0.01mm apart, but you also get all 3 at +0.25, also 0.01 apart.

WM: Well, we never cut a crank.

Me: OK, you don't know what you sell, you also don't know that you get oversize/undersize bearings for this crank. So from this point on, how do you expect me to trust anything you say?

It went downhill from there. I asked for a quote for the oil pump, pointing it out to the sales manager on the screen. I am still waiting.  :eek7:

I then took the crank with casing with bearings with all the bolts and the specs to Ryan's for assembly, and measurements to try and find out which Bearings. On Saturday, he still has not touched it. I feel like saying F@CK!!

Can anyone confirm that Johnston Engineering is good for bike work?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:55:24 am by Pleco »
HP2 HPN Smile generator

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #108 on: June 18, 2013, 12:06:30 pm »
Ai boet this is frustrating . Wont the W/M even show you a new bearing set ?,that should have some printing on the back to identify the sizes.
Another suggestion is.
If you can find a good engineering shop ,to get a set of standard bearings and have the crank big ends cut and metal sprayed,rebuilt, to standard .
But only if you can find a good shop that is prepared to help you.
Just a question I asked before, what are you doing about the con rod that ran the bearing,that onconrod  looked badly damaged on the picture and can not be re-used.
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2013, 12:24:50 pm »
Just to make sure we are on the same page here. we are talking about the big-ends ?
Looking at the part fish -?spell ?  . The colours are only there to indicate if the shell(red) fits in the cover side and the shell (blue) ,fits in the rod side .
It will be same colours for std bearings and .25mm u/size.
Am I missing something here PLeco ?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:28:36 pm by Skipskop »
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2013, 12:32:32 pm »
Just to make sure we are on the same page here. we are talking about the big-ends ?
Looking at the part fish -?spell ?  . The colours are only there to indicate if the shell(red) fits in the cover side and the shell (blue) ,fits in the rod side .
It will be same colours for std bearings and .25mm u/size.
Am I missing something here PLeco ?

White yellow and green are for the mains and journal bearings for the crank. These are the headaches.

The big ends are not a problem. The come in a colour per side of the conrod, and in oversize. Engineering shop will have to make a call on the Con Rod. R2k per set. Cannot buy 1, as they come in weight classes matched to the pistons.

I have mailed BMW head office in JHB to lodge a formal complaint. That was at 09h00 this morning. No response yet.  :sip:
HP2 HPN Smile generator

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2013, 01:12:56 pm »
You might get a good shop  that can clean up the con-rod for you - not ideal tough ,but might just get you going again.
What is your measured tolerances of your old mains and how does it compare to the specs ?
Eina ! I see now that front main does not look to good,I suspect it was the bearing closest bearing to the oilpump and had to endure most of the flux and shit that was caused by the welding of the sump.
The rear ,if the crank is in spec ,could still survive a couple of k k`s if have to.
Yamaha CV80 Beluga

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2013, 03:19:36 pm »
Just a question here.

How much would I get if I sell this as parts?

Seriously starting to consider it. Bike completely stripped, so parts can be inspected and measured for correctness. Wear I do have, is Cam chains, Main bearings, oil pump and rings(replaced with new)

???
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 03:41:03 pm by Pleco »
HP2 HPN Smile generator

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2013, 06:08:38 pm »
Just a question here.

How much would I get if I sell this as parts?

Seriously starting to consider it. Bike completely stripped, so parts can be inspected and measured for correctness. Wear I do have, is Cam chains, Main bearings, oil pump and rings(replaced with new)

???

Hold fast.  You only need the engine, not gearbox or rest of the bike for that matter.  Try 'engines for you' as found on gumtree or try ebay.  I am sure that will be your most cost effective option.  Lots of bikes get written off.   :thumleft:
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2013, 10:52:49 pm »

Only good thing is that the guy refused to sell me a bearing, until I can positively tell which one I want. Not sure how this relates to customer service, as we get drilled by the boss to make sure we understand that the customer comes to us (the industry experts  :deal:) for advice. Not the other way around.

WM arrives

Me: (Showing him the crank with the colour dots) Can you please identify these colours and supply me with the right bearings in oversize?

WM: You cannot cut the crank, as we do not sell oversize bearings. You need to specify the colours for the different sizes.

Me: Yes, the colours are 0.01mm apart, but you get the 3 colours also in an +0.25 each, so you can cut the crank.

WM: No, the colours are the different sizes. You cannot cut the crank, you have to replace the crank with all the bearings and conrods as a matched set. (about 20k)

At this point my buddy walks away.  :dousing:

Me: (I pull out the workshop manual) Here on the manual they talk about grinding stage 0 and stage 1. 0.25mm. Please look at your screen. (WM looks) Do you see the 3 colour bearings (yes). Now scroll down, and do you see the 3 colour bearing sets in +0.25?

Me: Jip, they are 0.01mm apart, but you also get all 3 at +0.25, also 0.01 apart.

Me: OK, you don't know what you sell, you also don't know that you get oversize/undersize bearings for this crank. So from this point on, how do you expect me to trust anything you say?

It went downhill from there. I asked for a quote for the oil pump, pointing it out to the sales manager on the screen. I am still waiting.  :eek7:

I then took the crank with casing with bearings with all the bolts and the specs to Ryan's for assembly, and measurements to try and find out which Bearings. On Saturday, he still has not touched it. I feel like saying F@CK!!

It would appear that you are giving them far too much information.  Simplify it.

Look at the pics below, choose the part you want and order it, by part number.  No explanation is necessary.  Then take the new, oversized bearings (that you will most likely wait 3 weeks for) to a reputable machine shop and let them cut the crank to fit the new bearings.

I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2013, 12:45:25 am »

Only good thing is that the guy refused to sell me a bearing, until I can positively tell which one I want. Not sure how this relates to customer service, as we get drilled by the boss to make sure we understand that the customer comes to us (the industry experts  :deal:) for advice. Not the other way around.

WM arrives

At this point my buddy walks away.  :dousing:

It went downhill from there. I asked for a quote for the oil pump, pointing it out to the sales manager on the screen. I am still waiting.  :eek7:

It would appear that you are giving them far too much information.  Simplify it.

Look at the pics below, choose the part you want and order it, by part number.  No explanation is necessary.  Then take the new, oversized bearings (that you will most likely wait 3 weeks for) to a reputable machine shop and let them cut the crank to fit the new bearings.

Egzactaly ;-)

Even better plan ,put the engine parts in a box and courier them up to Jughead
Yamaha CV80 Beluga

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2013, 04:29:26 am »

Only good thing is that the guy refused to sell me a bearing, until I can positively tell which one I want. Not sure how this relates to customer service, as we get drilled by the boss to make sure we understand that the customer comes to us (the industry experts  :deal:) for advice. Not the other way around.

WM arrives

At this point my buddy walks away.  :dousing:

It went downhill from there. I asked for a quote for the oil pump, pointing it out to the sales manager on the screen. I am still waiting.  :eek7:

Egzactaly ;-)

Even better plan ,put the engine parts in a box and courier them up to Jughead

Pleco don't give up so soon.  I am will be very disappointed.   I am in with the above suggestion.  You come this far why give up?  Come on dogs, come on board. :deal:?
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #117 on: June 19, 2013, 08:50:49 am »
OK, got the price for the Oil pump casings R1200. I also asked to get a quote on the yellow set of main crank bearings in +0.25 as well.

So, I get a pic of the conrods, and get asked to please pick between the red and blue bearings.  :angry4: :angry5: :angryfire: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

So, just to while my time, I asked him what the difference is between the blue and red big end bearings. That might keep him busy for a while, as last time, they could not tell me.  :sip:
HP2 HPN Smile generator

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2013, 09:29:06 am »
if the local dealers are giving you grive try max bmw in north america they are quick to respond and their online parts ordering works great

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2013, 10:55:14 am »
if the local dealers are giving you grive try max bmw in north america they are quick to respond and their online parts ordering works great

The Rand has gone for a ball of shit, so the already expensive parts unfortunately get very expensive, even before shipping.

I will have to persevere with the local guys. Emailing and calling and leaving messages at BMW customer support has not gotten me any response yet.  :sip:

I will now try the German site. Lets see.

While I have all these frustrations and issues, I have enough to keep me busy, but I cannot let this type of service slide. I need to take it somewhere higher up. I suppose I am only going to add to the frustrations.
HP2 HPN Smile generator