Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BMW 1200GS engine rebuild  (Read 26941 times)

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
Re: BMW 1200GS engine rebuild
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:14 am »
For some of us it is unfortunately about money,lack of it.
I am 54 and have never paid a mechanic a cent in my life on any vehicle I have owned until I damaged
our merc's gearbox about 2 years ago.. Then I paid big time :eek7:
I started in an era when cars,bikes were much more straightforward but always I made the effort to read up/study the engine I am going to be working on. Stealing with my eyes from real mechanics the important basic stuff you will never read about in any manual. I cannot remember my own tel number but I can strip an engine completely and just know without much thinking about it where every part,bolt,washer goes. Cannot explain it. I have a love for mechanical things,love the smell of solvents
and combustion gasses etc  :imaposer:
I had this unrealistic dream of owning a sailboat. So i decided to build a large steel yacht. 44feet or 30 000 pd displacement.
Never welded in my life but spend about 3 months practising hanging around welding/engineering shops and before I started my boat I was a good welder. Took me 5 years of back breaking work.
If you love mechanical things,do the homework thoroughly before you jump in. :thumleft:

We won't believe you before we see the pictures   :biggrin:
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2013, 01:41:37 pm »
For some of us it is unfortunately about money,lack of it.
I am 54 and have never paid a mechanic a cent in my life on any vehicle I have owned until I damaged
our merc's gearbox about 2 years ago.. Then I paid big time :eek7:
I started in an era when cars,bikes were much more straightforward but always I made the effort to read up/study the engine I am going to be working on. Stealing with my eyes from real mechanics the important basic stuff you will never read about in any manual. I cannot remember my own tel number but I can strip an engine completely and just know without much thinking about it where every part,bolt,washer goes. Cannot explain it. I have a love for mechanical things,love the smell of solvents
and combustion gasses etc  :imaposer:
I had this unrealistic dream of owning a sailboat. So i decided to build a large steel yacht. 44feet or 30 000 pd displacement.
Never welded in my life but spend about 3 months practising hanging around welding/engineering shops and before I started my boat I was a good welder. Took me 5 years of back breaking work.
If you love mechanical things,do the homework thoroughly before you jump in. :thumleft:

We won't believe you before we see the pictures   :biggrin:

Pluk ek nou n lat vir my eie gat. Kan nie fotos op komper kry maar het maar n paar afgelaai van my facebook  O0
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2013, 02:03:09 pm »
any pictures of it in the water  :peepwall:

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2013, 02:52:43 pm »
Eish,well done .Daars niks so steady en veilig soos n staal hull nie . Watse staal gebruik mens vir so n job.
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2013, 03:00:12 pm »

Not with me. My daughter died ,lost my woema and sold it to a doctor and his son who took it down to Richardsbay.
I know what you mean by your question as many start a project like that but few finish. I had the nearly 60 foot mast (keelstepped) engine,tanks,shaft,prop,steering most of the furniture but big money items like electronics ,sails and decksystems stil needed. Unfortunately my life was in a shambles after that tragedy and never bothered to stay in contact.
Would have loved to see it in the water after all the blood,sweat and tears we poured into it.

:ricky:

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2013, 03:03:02 pm »
Eish,well done .Daars niks so steady en veilig soos n staal hull nie . Watse staal gebruik mens vir so n job.

Gewone mild steel.
6mm keel
4mm chine below waterline
3mm the rest and deck.

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #86 on: June 02, 2013, 04:31:35 pm »
with the price of steel these days it must cost a fortune to build something like that

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #87 on: June 02, 2013, 06:12:05 pm »
any pictures of it in the water  :peepwall:

Not with me. My daughter died ,lost my woema and sold it to a doctor and his son who took it down to Richardsbay.
I know what you mean by your question as many start a project like that but few finish. I had the nearly 60 foot mast (keelstepped) engine,tanks,shaft,prop,steering most of the furniture but big money items like electronics ,sails and decksystems stil needed. Unfortunately my life was in a shambles after that tragedy and never bothered to stay in contact.
Would have loved to see it in the water after all the blood,sweat and tears we poured into it.

Oh Subie, you speak from your heart.  I am humbled.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 06:22:30 pm by Mzee »
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2013, 06:19:13 pm »

Oh Sibie, you speak from your heart.  I am humbled.

Thank you Mzee. I think Pleco is going to bring out the big stick for this hijack. :eek7:

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2013, 06:24:23 pm »
Pleco, you have done something that makes you our secret hero.  You have inspired many of us and sometimes we get carried away in the stories of Subie and others.  You won't mind I hope when the human spirit releases itself in times like these.  :thumleft:

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Pleco

• Interesting experiences in the DRC
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • What happened to the rest?
    • Bekker
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2013, 07:04:57 pm »
Pleco, you have done something that makes you our secret hero.  You have inspired many of us and sometimes we get carried away in the stories of Subie and others.  You won't mind I hope when the human spirit releases itself in times like these.  :thumleft:

I have very few issues like that Boet. Seeing Subie's yacht and hearing about his daughter puts my mountain to climb here in perspective.
HP2 HPN Smile generator
(Sold)BMW 1200GS. (Old bike, Old rider, New engine)
(Sold)Kawasaki: The art of arriving! 
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline Herby

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2013, 10:52:21 pm »
Google website A&S BMW Motorcycles Parts Fische and open on your particular model The colour coding and oversize available with part numbers and dollar price will explain most of your problems This particular website has taught me a lot about BM s Also how lucky the Yanks are to have agents and the many enthusiasts that know their stuff I have learnt to Google all things that puzzles or interests me Hpe you come right

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #92 on: June 03, 2013, 08:41:35 am »
Google website A&S BMW Motorcycles Parts Fische and open on your particular model The colour coding and oversize available with part numbers and dollar price will explain most of your problems This particular website has taught me a lot about BM s Also how lucky the Yanks are to have agents and the many enthusiasts that know their stuff I have learnt to Google all things that puzzles or interests me Hpe you come right

This is so true.  I do the same for the yammie with the yankees. Those folks know their stuff. :thumleft:

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Gene

• Bike: BMW (all models)
« Reply #93 on: June 03, 2013, 08:56:19 am »
Ive done many engines (golfs, fiat ) but kept it simple, you guys astonish me, a motorbike engine is a 100 times more high specced than other motors, and to do that yacht, hell no i,ve built a Porsche replica, and that was like hell,eventually finished it after 12 years and sold for R50 000,every body part made by hand, (moulded fibreglass) never again... :P

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #94 on: June 03, 2013, 12:06:41 pm »
Lukas,  1st of all, congratulations on your absolute tenacity, Bulldog se moer!! You have also learnt a lot, and while that is good, you will never become even a semi-OK mechanic from one engine's trials and tribulations. Experience takes more time. Even so you have actually done well, and advice like that from Skipskop, without sugar-coating things is fantastic.

I would recommend using Yamaha's sealer called Yamabond for your metal to metal seals. Yamabond was developed for Yamaha's 2stroke engine casings where no gaskets are used and primary compression is important.

Lastly, on mechanics. I am one, and I can vouch for the fact that a large percentage of "mechanics" should be confined to greasing nipples, interpret that any way you want.
There is however a few good men left, and I like to put myself in the latter category. Now here is the problem, we are deemed "expensive", and people always try and save a buck.
If a good mechanic asks you what seems like a lot of money to rebuild your engine, consider what you have been through here, and his quote may start to look like a good deal.
Which it is.
I admit that to find a good mechanic is not easy. Ask around for references.

Thanks Danie.

You are the 3rd guy now that said I must rather use the Yamabond, so will go that way. The BMW only use head gaskets and tappet gaskets. The rest gets glued together.

On mechanics. I don't always have the money to pay a good mechanic, but I do use the ou toppie in Durbanville for Landies from time to time, as I am 100% sure the job will come back better than new.

If you were still operating, I would have saved until I could pay you to do this for me. But I suppose no BMW's allowed in your workshop?  :pot:

Again, I would only need a mechanic to rebuild and assemble the bottom end, or the whole engine at most. The heads and refitting the engine back into the bike, is really simple work, which even I cannot f@ck up.

The worst work is to remove and refit this motor out of and into the bike, as the motor is the middle part of the frame.

The problem for me is to pay and trust somebody with the most critical part of the build.  :peepwall:

But I suppose I will be giving up if I cannot get this done right a second time round.  :'(

HP2 HPN Smile generator
If you have to watch the road more than the scenery, then you are riding too fast!

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #95 on: June 03, 2013, 12:12:56 pm »
OK, plan from here on.

1. Save up some money.
2. Get BMW to commit and make 200% certain they supply the correct bearings in oversized versions
3. Strip engine halves completely and have everything cleaned by an Engineering shop
4. Assemble bearings in casings and conrods and take with crank to have matched up at Engineering shop.
5. Replace cam chains and guides
6. Replace oil pump
7. Assemble according to REPROM 5 with Yamabond taking care not to block any holes or oil slots. (Maybe under supervision from one of the guys here. Any volunteers?  :peepwall:

What did I leave out?
HP2 HPN Smile generator

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2013, 12:22:44 pm »
7. Assemble according to REPROM 5 with Yamabond taking care not to block any holes or oil slots. (Maybe under supervision from one of the guys here. Any volunteers?  :peepwall:

as mentioned before silicon and gasket maker has killed many a motor

have a look at the factory documentaries where they build the motors and you will see how the robots build these motors

they use so little sealant, less than a 1mm bead of sealant on the outside edge of the casing - then the casings get pressed together any excess is pushed out the exterior and the interior would be contaminated by sealant.

goodluck with the rebuild - really interesting  :thumleft:

Offline Skipskop

• ;-)
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2013, 01:07:32 pm »

Nice find Herby ,thanks.
Yamaha CV80 Beluga

Offline Pleco

• Bekker
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2013, 01:23:03 pm »

Nice find Herby ,thanks.

This is the problem area I have:

http://www.ascycles.com/Illustrated_catalog2/MicroList.aspx?id=51556&catID=11&catname=Engine&bindName=CRANKSHAFT_ATTACHING_PARTS&bindCat=11_3669

Green yellow or white? See pics of the paint dots on my crank on a previous post. Apparently not connected to the VIN.  ??? ???

HP2 HPN Smile generator

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2013, 01:25:11 pm »
I'd have to guess yellow?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)