BMW 1200GS engine rebuild

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pleco

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
Hello There.

I am rebuilding the GS's motor. This to me is an interesting project, and a huge learning curve. I want this motor as sweet as it could be. Been working on it for a while.

Replaced all bearings and seals, and re assembled. Ran it a 1000kms and had to strip, as the cam chains were stretched too far. It was stupid not to change them at the time, but on the positive side, it now gives me a good chance to inspect the previous work.

I had a lot of frustrations with parts supply on the previous rebuild, and now it seems some of my fears and frustrations were well founded. I will post the rebuilds here (have it on adv rider) as I get a chance.

For now, I need a well respected engineering shop to assist me with matching bearings to the crank, as BMW cannot or does not want to help me, even when I give them the VIN number.

Not sure if anybody has attempted this before, as info on the web is non existent.