Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Installing a TrailTech Striker and LED lights  (Read 4055 times)

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: Installing a TrailTech Striker and LED lights
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 06:43:47 pm »
This is really Impressive Alan! I just installed a pair of Mk 3 LED spotlights on my new F800GS and they work very well!
Apologies if this looks like hijacking your thread, but is it easy to bend aluminium? You are definitely the expert!
I have a Givi top box mount that weighs 2kg - much too heavy. I read that aluminium weighs a 1/3rd of mild steel and I want to make a new base plate. It will have 90' bends like your spotlight mounting plate. Can one bend aluminium at 90' (and how) or should one rather weld? Repairing bent levers means heating them in a flame and bend while hot. Is this the same with aluminium?

I would use stainless steel for that, it is a little bit heavier, but a whole lot easier to bend.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2013, 06:57:40 pm »
Took the bike for nice shake down ride. Taking the protective film off the display seems to have worked!

I could see the screen reasonably well while standing.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2013, 09:50:43 pm »
What alan is saying is spot on regarding the bend being the weak point on alu - I have seen this time and again with Touratech stuff ... they love alu and when it gives it cracks and breaks on the bend. And is then difficult or impossible to repair. A metal working engineering firm will have a plate bender that can easily bend straight even bends. You also get different grade alu incuding a hardened type. I am not sure of the structural importance of the plate on your rack but feel sure part of its purpose is to restrict the plastic flexing ... when this happens the topbox exits the carrier... not nice for youm...or mecriding behind  :eek7: Personally I would stick with the existing setup. Hijack off  ;D

Thanks Gentlemen. This plate supports the Givi luggage rack at the bended lips so the bended areas do carry stress. Thanks for all the advice. Top box weighs 3.7kg and the plate assembly 2kg. So 5.7kg to have the benefit of a top box (which is a huge benefit in normal city use). My bike just felt so much nimbler before fitting 23kg's worth of farkles. I guess I will just have to live with it...
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 05:51:06 am »
You are a genius.  :thumleft:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline TK

• Life's an adventure, enjoy the ride.
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 10:58:13 pm »
Hey Alan........now I see why you got that USB charging port from me. Nice touch.
Also for future reference. If you guys are having something laser cut and need to bend you can ask to have (and want of a better word)a bending slots cut where you would bend the plate.......bend by hand to the right angle and then have it tacked in place.
Also if you are going to use ali plate to make  something up go for a softer type......the harder the ali the more likely it will crack. Note that S/S also has a tendancy to crack and I therefore prefere to use mild steel plate
Just my 2 cents worth.

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2013, 07:18:58 am »
Agreed on the hardened alu and also SS ... which also does not like vibration esp at welds where it is often weakened.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2013, 10:36:35 am »
Rode out to Dullstroom for the week. 

Took the bike for a ride down a a dark road at night.  The lights work very well!  The flood unit provides more than enough light on its own actually but it it doesnt shine that far the way I have it set up now, more or less the same as a car's lights on dims. 

On brights you can see nice and far.

Given the expense of the lights though I would say you don't really need the spot unit.  A single flood unit would be enough as an upgrade on most dirt orientated bikes like the 610 that are sold with useless headlights.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:40:07 am by alanB »

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2013, 09:14:12 am »
Had a nice ride back from Dullstroom yesterday, sticking mostly to dirt via Loskop Dam.

The TrailTech Striker had another little issue though.  At one point when I was doing about 120 (on the GPS) it started to read all sorts of different speeds ranging from zero to 50, 90, 70, 120, 50 (not exactly those numbers but that sort of thing), and then got stuck on zero for a few k's and then suddenly came back to life again.

I'll have to check whether the speedo cable is either broken or has a loose connection or something!

BTW TrailTech are sending me a replacement remote switch  :thumleft:

Offline sidetrack

Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2013, 11:58:20 am »

:thumleft:

Another headlight upgrade worth reading

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/id/2842/project-husqvarna-te610-part-7-baja-designs-racelight-with-boatman-h4-conversion.aspx

Interesting - I have the Baja Design 8" and fitted it on my HP2 and converted it to H4 and fitted a HID unit. I showed on ADVRider how I did this without reverting to a 7" fitting (why lose 1" of reflector???). I am not sure if I left the details on AdvRider as Boatman complained as he was selling his 7" conversion - detailed in this link. My conversion was very simple - you carefully remove the H4 fitting from a standard bike reflector (in my case my standard HP2 headlight) and fit it to the Baja Design reflector.  :thumleft:  I will look if I can find the link.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2013, 05:40:47 pm »
I think modern LED's are a  better solution for dirt bikes because:

1) They are far  less sensitive to vibration and knocks - should last as long as the bike
2) Smaller and potentially lower mass
3) Draw less current for the same or more light (the units I have draw 17W each and  each produce twice the light output of a standard 50W halogen).  This lower power draw while giving lots of light is often a big advantage for dirt bikes with small alternators.  Not really an issue with the 610 though.
4) Unbreakable polycarbonate lenses in most LED lights
5) If you choose a good unit, the light pattern is very clean and even.  In comparison, my old reflector that I had installed a HID unit into had all sorts of blotches and "hot spots" in its projected pattern - whereas the new lights are very evenly and cleanly projected onto the road - just nice even white light  :thumleft:  But this is definitely a function of the quality of the LED reflectors used.  Cheaper units may not necessarily have this.

The only point against LED's is that the level of development is getting to the point that they are probably going to get a lot cheaper in the next few years - so it may pay to wait - but then my HID stopped working forcing me to make a decision.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 06:12:55 pm by alanB »

Offline DeepBass9

• 2010 DL1000-'91 DR650 DAKAR
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
    • www.dreamlodge.co.za
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2013, 05:49:50 pm »
I think modern LED's are a  better solution for dirt bikes because:

1) They far are less sensitive to vibration and knocks - should last as long as the bike
2) Smaller and potentially lower mass
3) Draw less current for the same or more light (the units I have draw 17W each and together each produce twice the light output of a standard 50W halogen).  This lower power draw while giving lots of light is often a big advantage for dirt bikes with small alternators.  Not really an issue with the 610 though.
4) Unbreakable polycarbonate lenses in most LED lights
5) If you choose a good unit, the light pattern is very clean and even.  In comparison, my old reflector that I had installed a HID unit into had all sorts of blotches and "hot spots" in its projected pattern - whereas the new lights are very evenly and cleanly projected onto the road - just nice even white light  :thumleft:  But this is definitely a function of the quality of the LED reflectors used.  Cheaper units may not necessarily have this.

The only point against LED's is that the level of development is getting to the point that they are probably going to get a lot cheaper in the next few years - so it may pay to wait - but then my HID stopped working forcing me to make a decision.

Agreed, with the speed that LEDs are developing, I think HID will soon go the same way as a betamax video tape.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2013, 07:19:08 pm »
Also agree - pity though as the Baja desert look is great.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2013, 09:15:41 pm »
Baja Designs also do a very good LED solution but its hellish pricey!

http://www.bajadesigns.com/ProductDetail?ItemNumber=497001BK

Apparently it puts out twice the light of the Rigid Industries equivalents - but its more than twice the price.  :P

A long thread on LED lights on ADVRider here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=848904
which descends into name calling etc but has some good points in amongst the usual internet arguments.  Lot of debate about whether its worth going for cheap Chinese stuff as opposed to the much more expensive US options - IMO this is a personal choice - some people will always go for the cheap stuff, others will always go for quality and pay more accordingly.  I tend to be in the latter camp being an engineer, not a trader. 

Cheap Chinese stuff just annoys me for a whole lot of unrelated reasons.

In any event these lights are being sold/bought in very much the same way that digital camera's were in the early days - all anyone seems interested in is the lumen number.  The more the better (just like pixels were in cameras).  But I think that's just a red herring.  The quality of light is about a hell of a lot more than just how bright the LED is (which is all lumens really tells you).    Eventually with cameras you had these cameras with unbelievably high pixel ratings that took crap photo's (problem called noise caused by the pixels being too small on the sensor) - and still people wanted more pixels - so the OEM's gave people what they wanted - so image quality actually declined for a few years until only recently people have finally understood more pixels isn't always better and recently some brave OEM's have actually reduced the number of pixels to give us better cameras.

I can see the same thing happening with these lights over the next few years.  You don't need ten times more light than a standard 50W halogen bulb - but that's where this is going IMO  :biggrin:  But still, these lights are the future IMO.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2013, 05:54:57 pm »
I must admit I'm not having a great experience with TrailTech Striker.

So far having the following issues:
1). The remote switch works sporadically
2). The speedo goes through periods where it reads nonsense. Randomly showing much lower values than actual speed or even being stuck on zero for a while before recovering 
3) one of the four LEDs for the warning lights didn't work

TrailTech have shipped me replacement leds which sorted that out. They also sent me a replacement remote switch but that problem persists.

Latest suggestion is for me to send it all back for testing. Which is going to cost money for postage as well as mean not having a speedo etc for a while. Worst is because it's an intermittent problem they might switch it all on, see that it works and ship it back without tracing the real problem. Leaving me back at square one  :-\

I'm going to have to do that because it's useless having instruments you cant trust.

Been a bit of a pain in the arse all told to be honest!

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2013, 06:59:36 pm »
Must admit I have heard of alot of failures on the Trailtech speedo replacement stuff. Granted offroad riding tends to beat up everything but stock electronic speedo's and old school mechanical ones tend to last longer. Not really any other options on the market though.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 07:05:33 pm by sidetrack »

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2013, 08:55:35 pm »
Shit sorry to hear this as looked grand and a neat solution.

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2013, 05:44:37 pm »
The Baja Designs Squadron LED's, $319  :o

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 08:16:38 pm »
At that price, I'll just camp one more night.
:)

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2013, 08:27:29 pm »
Seeing as I was speaking the devil yesterday (http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=133875.0), my TrailTech Striker finally turned up in the post  :thumleft: after being returned via normal post from TrailTech after "testing".

Whats interesting is that despite their denials that there is anything wrong, they sent me back both remote switches plus an extra speedo cable - which I really appreciate - shows some level of sympathy for the predicament I'm in.  

Although they managed to scratch the screen  ::)

I remounted it all on the bike again.

As expected, the remote switch worked for a couple of presses of the button, and then just like before, stopped responding.  >:(

The speedo cable was worse.

The first one I installed didn't work at all!

I resorted to re-installing the Husky cable (which has the same fittings top and bottom, only being a bit shorter and mine has been repaired repeatedly from a broken wire and tends to stop working every so often.  So I was hoping to replace it - this is one of the reasons I bought the TrailTech unit in the first place).  Lo and behold it worked fine!  I should have tried this before because that at least points towards the TrailTech cable being the problem with the distance readout.

On the off chance, I tried the other cable they sent and it worked too  :thumleft:  :ricky: ....so far.

So maybe at least half the problem is sorted?

Touch wood.

IMO they should implement better quality controls, because the evidence seems to be pointing towards a high percentage of faulty bits and pieces that make up their system:

1) 1 of 4 Led bulbs not working
2) 1 of 2 speedo cables faulty
3) Something wrong inside the unit with regard to the remote switch (that's the only reason I can see why it works for while and then stops, something intermittent is happening inside the unit, maybe at a logic level?).

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 08:29:00 pm by alanB »