We went to Dullstroom.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grootseun

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GSA
This is a quick ride report, on a long ride.

I went to bed really late, or should I say really earlyâ?¦ in the morning.
I fell asleep on the couch, while watching a dvd with the wife. Then off to bed, but I am wide awake. Eventually, I watched some tv, posted on the forum, but mainly hoped for the rain to stop.

After being awake more than sleeping, I eventually get out of bed at 3am and started to prep my bike. I also fitted slicks to my wifeâ??s mountain bike for her race on Sunday. Got going at 4:30am, on my way to meet Luislang  there.. the first of 4 that morning.

Image013.jpg

See the ugly FNB/Wesbank monster in the background.

Luislang arrived about 3 minutes after I filled up, formalities done.. we took the highway to the meeting point. We saw another 3 rolled cars in the 30 minutes it took us to get to the Engen garage in Pretoria.

We arrived at the Engen 15 minutes early. Adventure boy arrived and eventually Plothond & Co with quite a racket. Plothond sporting new pipes with NOTHING in themâ?¦

Took the road to Rayton to meet another rider (the name magically disappeared from my memory) Rode some really crappy gravel next to the railway tracks for a short stint. And thatâ??s where we encountered traces of the mud monster. Nothing too hectic.

Traveled some nice dirt in beautiful greenery.
And then the GPS-map combo seemed to not work together too great.
Image014.jpg

Whethe
Image015.jpg

Fakawi?
Image017.jpg

Too many cooksâ?¦
Image018.jpg

Why did Grootseun cross the road?
Image015.jpg

To get a picture from the other side.

Image016.jpg

My bike behaved really well, Iâ??m so proudâ?¦

The other bikes:
Image019.jpg

Image020.jpg

Then when we sort of decided where to go, we hit the road again. With my New M2R Jacket, with a cellphone pocket in front, I could easily get to me new phone with dedicated camera button.
In transit pics:
Image021.jpg

Image022.jpg

Image026.jpg

Some in transit scenery:
Image027.jpg

Some idiot:
Image028.jpg

More tar:
Image029.jpg

Stop between the â??mountainsâ?
Image030.jpg

Imagine you were a midget and they really are mountains:
Image031.jpg

Image032.jpg

Got to open the dakâ??s throat a little and when we crested there was quite a nice view of the greeneryâ?¦it really is nice to ride sweeper with no dust.. and great scenery
Image033.jpg

Image034.jpg

Image035.jpg

From whence we came:
Image036.jpg

A nice view of the valley below.. not depicted in the picsâ?¦ but it was really beautiful
Image037.jpg

Male bonding????
Image038.jpg

More dirtâ?¦ nice!!!!
Image040.jpg

Some â??I almost dropped my phone while riding on the wrong side of the road to get these picturesâ? pics..I need to get a lanyard to keep my phone off the tar.
Image042.jpg

Image045.jpg

Image046.jpg

Image047.jpg

Then the fun started.

The first mud encounters where luislang gooied the landing gear often.

The top layer of the gravel was smooth after the rain, and just below lays the mudâ?¦making the bike snake and wiggle all over the place, and thatâ??s even before hitting the mud patches.

Then up on a road with some serious rocksâ?¦good eyesight and object AVOIDANCE and not FIXATION is needed.

Then I saw tonteldoosâ?¦
Image048.jpg

Shortly after we arrived at our destination.. hungry and thirsty. Dullstroom, Mpumalanga
Image049.jpg

Luckily we had a nice waitress.. she could swim quite well under water I would imagineâ?¦
Image050.jpg

Then lotsa karkpraat.. loud laughterâ?¦.everyone speaking to Runner on the phone.
And a GREAT brekkie.

Then we hit the road back with the most stunning scenery of the day, I felt like I was in another countryâ?¦it was breathtaking.

Pics do not do it justice at all.
Image051.jpg

Image052.jpg

Image053.jpg

Some some family of luislang.

Image054.jpg

This little feisty Rinkhals was quite upset by the bikers disturbing itâ??s Saturday afternoon.
Really small snake.. it was about 30 cms long.. but not scared of big ugly bikersâ?¦he would have taken any one of usâ?¦

Hereafter I did not take any more pics. We hit some nice fast gravel.. in fact the autobahn of dirt roads. The boys on the 9fiddyâ??s and 990â??s left us behindâ?¦

Then it all came to an end. Plottie & Kie stopped at the dros in Middleburg for some golden liquid but Myself, Luislang and Adventure Boy decided to head home on the crap highway.

I did about 650kmâ??s for the day. It was the best riding I have yet encountered. I wanna do this ride again, it really is a great part of the country.

Thanx for Plothond for being our fearless leader, and everyone that joined this ride. Thanxfor the karkpraat and about a laugh a minute.

My Name is Grootseun and i dont really know what to write here.