Yami and Pillion Back road ride report

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yami 900

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
Yami and Pillion road-trip.

For some of you, you would have seen there was a topic discussion on “Planning a ride”. Jupiter and Veldbrandt replied with great roads and gave a lot of info. Thanks again guys!
So here is my Ride Report. This being my first solo ride, and have to do the whole report on my own!
Ok, so here we go!

Welgelegen to Knysna and back    -  From Monday the 27th May to 31st May.
Distance traveled: +- 2000km on a Yamaha Super Tenere 1200.
Weather conditions: Left Welgelegen at approximately 9am with a bit of drizzle up until the Hugenote Tunnel. The rest of the road trip was a bit overcast with the odd bit of sunshine, but riding with the chill factor of most probably about 0 deg.

The prep of the ST and getting ready.

During Sunday afternoon, I started prepping and filled up the ST, as I just came back (Thursday) from a 7 week tour abroad. Also spent most of the time with the kids to make up for the time away. My son and I spent Saturday together, with the Quading community out in Worcester’s farming fields. We had a good time. My daughter had to work unfortunately. But she was ok with the idea of me heading out on the ST with Liesl. They both understood that we needed time away and owe it to ourselves.
As we just bought the house, we still have a lot off stuff unpacked and in storage, I managed to get most of my gear sorted.
Panniers where locked onto the bike, and the tank-bag fitted. Liesl was a bit dismayed as to how much space she had, being a real typical women who want to try and get her bedroom cupboard and kitchen sink in. I gave here a bag that fits in the pannier box and said: That’s all you get! By Sunday night she was packed and ready. Without the kitchen sink and hairdryers and what not!
I was a bit worried about the rear tire. Not much tread on it, but was convinced that it would last the trip.

Monday morning. (Cold, windy and wet outside)
We both got up at 6am. Both had a lot to get done: Liesl getting the kids ready and to school and me packing the ST in the garage. We managed to be finished and on the ST at 9am.
I took it easy, as the roads were a bit wet! I did not want to have a bad start. Headed out on the N1 towards Worcester. We pulled in for breakfast at the Ultra City Worcester. As we finishing up and putting on our gear, the rain started falling down again. The clouds looked a bit dark towards the east, the direction we where heading. So we opted to put our raingear on. Not far out of town, the sun started shining. So it was just a quick wash down, nothing major! Next stop was going to be Ronnies Sex Shop.
The roads where quiet. So I had a lot of time to look around and chat to Liesl, we were connected via the F5 and F4 Blue Tooth Intercom. Which I might add, I just fitted into the newly bought (on Saturday) Spirit helmets. They came with the built-in sun visor, which I really like a lot. Don’t have to wear sunglasses and have the irritating pressure on your sides and ears hurting after a long day’s ride. These helmets fit nice and snug. At 160km p/h, I could still speak and hear Liesl, with minimal wind noise.
We arrived at Ronnies’ at about 1pm. Just in time for lunch. Enjoyed a burger and chips and a nice cup of coffee. Took a few pictures and then saddled up to head out East. Next stop, Ladysmith. Arrived there and filled-up the ST. From there we headed towards Oudtshoorn. The views and Passes are just amazing and the ST just loves the twisty bits.
From Oudtshoorn, we headed to George, Wilderness and then on to Sedgefield. The traffic cops are quite active on these stretches of road. Just outside of Sedgefield we turned off to Teniqua Tree Tops, where we would spend two nights. A little secluded wooden cabin in-between the trees overlooking the kloof. With great views and tranquility.  It is self-catering accommodation, and we did not take any food with us. So we dugged into the biltong and droe wors that my daughter packed in for us. We had a great nights sleep.

Tuesday
We had a late start, headed out for breakfast in Sedgefield at a coffee shop at about 10am. We shared a delicious English breakfast, hot coffee. I decided to phone George Yamaha and asked if they had a rear tire for me. I was not happy with the condition of the tire and thought that the grip would not suite me on the dirt roads with a pillion. I think the high-speed tar did not help it. Spoke to Henrie and he said he is ready and waiting for me. So we headed back to George. At George Yamaha, Henrie took my bike to the workshop. He offered us coffee and we had a lekka chat in their comfy chairs. Really felt welcome and in good hands. Thanks for your good service and friendliness.
We got advice from Henrie on some back roads to Knysna, which I loaded on the GPS. So we took the Swartrivier Hoogte pass and Silverriver pass then Kaaimansgat pass. We went pas Karatara Forest Village and ended up on the N2. Turned left towards Knysna. When we got to there, I opted to fill-up the ST and get some snacks. Then we headed on one of Jupiters suggested routes: “Kom se pad”. This takes you through the most scenic routes of the Knysna Forest.  Nice ferns and Yellow wood trees. Beautiful mountain streams and passes. All to be enjoyed for a few hours ride.  This was a circle route and ended just outside Knysna, so we headed to the Knysna Waterfront for supper. We pulled in at Ocean basket. I had a delicious plate of fish and chips. Liesl enjoyed fish and prawns, which I helped her finish. Lucky the day ended just as we arrived at Tree Tops, with the sun setting between the hills.
The attraction point of Tree Tops is this BIG sunken bath with a view of the forest and nothing else! So the first thing that Liesl did was run the hot water. Which I forgot to say, was as dark as mud, as they pumped it out of the river. It looked bad, but that does not put you off, when you are sitting in a hot bath overlooking the breath-taking valley. Add a cuppa coffee and some chocolate bars and you have an unforgettable time!

Wednesday
We had an early start at about 7am.  Washed, polished and packed we headed towards the N9 and Knysna.  In Knysna, we stopped at the Wimpy for breakfast. That done and dusted, we then headed on the R339, a dirt road towards N9 and Uniondale. Early morning between the forest trees and minimal sunshine, it was quite a chill. Thanks to the heated grips, I could relieve some of the chill on my hands.
This route is really a MUST-DO in the garden route. If you miss this one, then you must rather go and ride superbikes or get a Harley. This route has a few passes, all with stunning views. In the middle of a kloof, is “Angies G-Spot”, a little bar and few cabins. Situated right on the river’s edge. It’s a great little bar with quite a few odd things around. Like a “proes straat pretoria dop” straight from the baboon’s ass!  We enjoyed a coke and stretched a bit, saddled up and headed towards ROUTE 62. From there, we headed west for the first time. At the T-junction for the N9, we headed north. We then turned west on Veldbrandt’s secret road that takes you all the way to Calitzdorp. Then onto R62 to Ladysmith. We arrived at Koedoeskloof at about 4pm. Thanks to Facebook, Veldbrant knew we where almost there and welcomed us at his gate! We offloaded, and started relaxing in the Dwarsbar with Veldbrandt.
Later that evening we had an awesome plate of Lambs curry. Absolutely Mouth watering! We exchanged stories and had a good kuier with Eugene and Debbie and went to bed at about 10pm.

Thursday.
We had breakfast at 9am. Debbie gave us a few tips on things to-do in and around Ladismith.  After getting dressed and geared, we headed for town. Did some Wine and Brandy tasting, of which we bought two bottles.
We opted for Seweweekspoort pass. First filled-up the ST, got a few snacks and then hit the road. Just after you leave the tar behind, you notice the mountain before you and wonder how and where are you going to be going through. Well, this is also a MUST-DO pass! How the hell they even found this routing through this mountain, must just been pure luck. We took it nice and slow, observed the cliffs and mountain pieks as we tracked through the mountain. We ended up at the other side of the mountain (Which is the back side of “The Hell” (Klein Swartberg Reserve). We had a thirst quencher and something to nibble. We took the long route back to Koedoeskloof. Again a very nice scenic route. We arrive back at Koedoeskloof for an afternoons snooze as the temperature was on the low side. Later that afternoon, Liesl and I strolled out in the veld, observed nature around us and took some photographs.
That evening we had Koedoeskloof’s double decker burger (Nick-named by Boere). Even the desert was mouth watering!

Friday.
We were up early, as I wanted to be back in Cape Town long before dark. Had things planned with the kids. (Which did not happen due to the LOVELY WET weather!)
Had breakfast and then packed the mighty steed. Said our good byes and thank Veldbrandt and Debbie for the heart warming hospitality and great food. We managed to hit the road just after 9am.  We headed west on the gravel road that runs next to Anysberg reserve all the way to Montaqu.
This trip was quite nerve racking, as I have never before checked to see how far the ST can do on a full tank. So the last +- 80km, went slow, driving on a reserve tank. But once we got to Montagu pass, and I could see the town in the distance, the ear was turned a bit. We managed to make it.
We filled-up the ST in Montagu and headed towards Worcester. At Worcester Ultra City, we stopped for coffee and that was the end to a wonderful trip.  We started on the last stretch back on the N1 home filled with fond memories of our trip.

What I can recommend. Koedoeskloof is about 260km from Cape Town. If one gets off work early on a Friday afternoon, Ladysmith should be just far enough to reach by Friday evening. Overnight at Koedoeskloof and enjoy the hospitality of Veldbrandt and Debbie. Saturday you could do the circle route through Seweweekspoort Pass. Saturday evening you could feast on some more great food from Veldbrandt and then head home on Sunday.
Most of us do Oasis, this could be just as good or even better than Oasis. Much more gravel roads and other views to enjoy.

Pictures to follow. ;)

Attachments

• L&D.jpg
    L&D.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 469
  • 931429_10152888743050227_1600659782_n.jpg
    931429_10152888743050227_1600659782_n.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 468