Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Petition to save Killarney  (Read 1357 times)

Offline zollie

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • A motorcycle canít sing on the streets of a city.
    • Damduiker
Petition to save Killarney
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:49:32 am »
http://savekillarney.com

Many people are not aware that there is complaints being lodged against the Killarney Race Track which is endangering the track and creating a rift in the Motor Racing world of the Western Cape. Where many other provinces are getting new race tracks and upgraded venues we are on the brink of loosing ours.
Why is there a petition to save Killarney? Simply put we as the Motorsport community would like to rally our support behind Killarney so that they have signatories on board to warrant an extension of the property lease.
If you would like to support Killarney Race Track please sign the petition.

Please spread the word among our two wheeled friends
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
Re: Petition to save Killarney
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:56:52 am »
What are the issues? It is not near residential areas?

Offline zollie

• Pack Dog
    • Damduiker
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:06:56 am »
What are the issues? It is not near residential areas?

Jup Noise complaints from residents, and there is now a big question mark regarding the renewal the lease ... which terminates in 2022.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:13:33 am by zollie »
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

Offline cocky

• Ryyyyyy net ASFB.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • DILLIGAF
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 10:12:46 am »
This issue really amazes me. The track has been there for years, long before most of the houses were built, the owners bought there knowing there is a race track close by. Now they are pissed off by the noise................... go figure really.  Simply stupid and arrogant if you ask me.
Just because your past did not turn out like you wanted it to does not mean your marriage will not be better than you ever imagined it could be.
Die Kaapse Hoender!

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 10:15:17 am »
This issue really amazes me. The track has been there for years, long before most of the houses were built, the owners bought there knowing there is a race track close by. Now they are pissed off by the noise................... go figure really.  Simply stupid and arrogant if you ask me.
Exactly... just like folks here in Bloem moaned about the airport! It was there before the plotte! ::)

Offline zollie

• Pack Dog
    • Damduiker
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 10:25:05 am »
"Killarney has been around for 53 years and has built a home for all racers, once praised for reducing street racing by having Street 2 Strip events in the evening, Killarney is now being strong armed into technicalities surrounding racing.

Some of the new reinforced rules are decibel readings which should be lower. It must be reduced dramatically.

70db Ė 80dB
Noisy office or an alarm clock
Loud

80dB Ė 90dB
Electric razor, lawnmower or an vacuum cleaner
Loud to very loud

90dB Ė 100dB
Chain saw, air compressor or a jackhammer
Very loud

The race cars should not have a DB reading more than 85dbís, in an effort Killarney has erected barriers of earth to help with the noise levels.

Without Killarney around there is no other place for avid car enthusiasts to participate in the sport and many will take to the streets, which ends very bad for everyone involved. The Sunday track days has already been cancelled, which is sad for those which looks forward to the event."

--they focus a lot on the Street2Strip events happening on Friday nights, but the same applies for ANY events - Be it stockars, Full Circuits, Half Main etc...... utter rubbish!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:26:14 am by zollie »

Offline Hanno @ Mad Macs

• aka Hando . Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • http://dsadventure.wordpress.com/
    • Dual Sport Adventure
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:40 am »
Exactly... just like folks here in Bloem moaned about the airport! It was there before the plotte! ::)

Agreed.

They bought their houses and plotte knowing that the race track(airport) is there.

Now they start squealing. I can not understand this.

Wish it was as simple as telling the land owners to faark off. If they did not want the noise they should not have bought the property.
Shop 2- 4 . Melcksloot Village . Somerset mall. Somerset West. 021 852 4851

Offline boere

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL1000V Varadero
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:46:59 am »
At least we know were this land will end up.
 :3some:
Fuck the land owners wait till they see there new neighbours then let them put up a fight. Then it will be"Too little too late" :patch:

Offline Eddy81

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 11:00:28 am »
I lived in tableview for a year, always heard the cars and commentating, but I liked it!! It always felt like I lived in one of those southern places in America where they love Motorsport. This is the same crap that is the worry with kyalami at the moment.

People by houses and offices next door to these tracks and then complain about the noise!!

I'll def. sign the petition

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:05:14 am »
ge-sign.  :thumleft:
Honda XL650V Transalp
Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 11:08:12 am »

Same thing happened to the Stellenbosch Flying Club's airfield.

There are now sieriehaas rules regarding approach- and departure paths and the amount of throttle you are allowed to use.

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Crossed-up

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:05 am »
IIRC the land belongs to the Council and WPMC has a very long, cheap lease. Someone has an angle to make a lot of money out of this.  To get their hands on a few hectares of undeveloped land so close to a growing major residential area would be mind-bogglingly profitable.  So you stir up a few folk nearby and wait for the fallout.

And the guys who have plans to build F1 tracks out near Z7 or Atlantis will not be particularly supportive.

But another way to look at it is to welcome Killarney's demise as an opportunity for Cape Town to gain a really top-class new track. Let's face it, Killarney is too small and ill-equipped to ever be in the running to host a major event.  So maybe we should let it happen.  

It will be a sad day for me when Killarney closes.  My dad played a big part in the 1950's in bringing the various motor clubs together to throw their collective energies into Killarney, so the place has special memories for me.

And as for the people who bought property next to an existing track and then complain -  :BangHead: :bootyshake: :knob: :la: :middlefinger:

Offline The Rock

• Peter: a masculine given name, derived from the Greek word πέτρος (petros) meaning "Rock".
  • Race Dog
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2013, 11:44:04 am »
But another way to look at it is to welcome Killarney's demise as an opportunity for Cape Town to gain a really top-class new track. Let's face it, Killarney is too small and ill-equipped to ever be in the running to host a major event.  So maybe we should let it happen.  

you do have a point, but then the new track should be finished and operational before the old one is closed down - and i dont see that happening!
Honda XL650V Transalp
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline SOMMERNET

• Puppy
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • My first wheels-R150.00 Beers were 17c...Texan 19c
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2013, 11:54:15 am »
I cant help think that possibly the people/developer behind a new Grand Prix TRACK might have something to do with this issue?
Time will tell!!
I have heard a few rumours but will not spread tem at this point in time and there are political issues also..........

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2013, 12:29:11 pm »

Same thing happened to the Stellenbosch Flying Club's airfield.

There are now sieriehaas rules regarding approach- and departure paths and the amount of throttle you are allowed to use.

which in some cases compromises the aircraft safety! Bloody ridiculous I say. ::)

Signed too... hope it has some effect! :thumleft:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:31:18 pm by RobC »

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2013, 12:32:12 pm »
I cant help think that possibly the people/developer behind a new Grand Prix TRACK might have something to do with this issue?
Time will tell!!
I have heard a few rumours but will not spread tem at this point in time and there are political issues also..........
I was not aware of a GP track... starts to make sense now. :patch:

Offline The Rock

• Race Dog
  • Revelation 19
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2013, 12:39:11 pm »
Time will tell!!
I was not aware of a GP track... starts to make sense now. :patch:
Ja if they are going to build a GP track, i say let the squatters have Killarney - but i will believe it when i go to watch the first F1GP or MotoGP held at that track.  ;)
Honda XL650V Transalp
Gomoto X-act 200
Yamaha F310

Offline Buddy

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 12:58:08 pm »
It's exactly the same reason the Hesketh Circuit in Natal closed down, and what is currently in the process of happening to Swartkops in Pretoria as well. Urban creep on a circuit that had been established way out of town 50 years ago, now finds itself surrounded by the city.
The Townkraaier of Kraaifontein

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »
It's exactly the same reason the Hesketh Circuit in Natal closed down, and what is currently in the process of happening to Swartkops in Pretoria as well. Urban creep on a circuit that had been established way out of town 50 years ago, now finds itself surrounded by the city.
Same thing happened to Brandkop here in Bloem. It was always nice to watch the races from the boulders on the hillside. :'(

Offline missinglink

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 01:11:36 pm »
I also stay in Table View,just about opposite the race track. I also enjoy the sound that comes from there,it is "part"of Table View. "My"bloody Hadidas :eek7: in the back yard tree makes more noise......
When someone told me I lived in a fantasy land I nearly fell of my unicorn.