The good, the bad and the ugly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

immigrant

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha Super Tenere
"You're not actually going on this trip, ARE YOU?!?" was my wife's reaction when i started packing my panniers. Our boy was born a month ago and my mother in law came to visit and help out. I never pass up a good opportunity and thought it would be the perfect time for me to go on a little trip whilst my wife has someone to help out with the kids (3 year old and 1month old). I had lots of holidays and I had a general route in mind but had no idea exactly where i would spend every night. That "carefree" attitude got me in to a whole lot of trouble, but more about that later.
Where i live in Canada it takes at least 600km to get "somewhere" - "somewhere" means the "mountains" so myself and two friends left for Dawson Creek, BC at 5 in the morning. its roughly a 900km trip. They both have family and friends in Dawson and thought they will ride with me, visit family and return whilst i continue on my travels. The road to Dawson is pretty much flat, with long stretches of straight road, so we put down our heads and maintain a good speed. Me on my s10, the other on a Vstrom and the other on a very, very, very load Vstar. Did I mention that bike was LOUD? And it has a very small fuel tank so we stop in every town. This guy loves to ride a bike and put on 35000km last year  ::001::

DSCN0033_zpsf70ec9d5.jpg

DSCN0051_zps8c094e51.jpg

On or way to Dawson Creek we have to ride a section known as "the highway of death" It is the highway going to Fort McMurray - the oilsands capitol of the world. Everywhere you look it is jacked up pick-up trucks going 150km/h to get to work on time, and semi trucks loaded with steel and pipes to keep up with the demand of the oil rigs. We have to pay attention not to get crushed or run over but we make it out of the "death zone" unharmed

We get to Grand Prairie at 17h00 and decide to stay with Vstrom riders brother for the night cause we both need to find a gel seat cover of sorts cause our asses are not happy. I forgot my Airhawk pad at  home but it would have set us back to much if i turned around to get it, so we just kept going. The next day we waste a whole morning on looking for pads with no luck. VStar rider is laughing cause he sits on a couch

After a short ride we pull in to Dawson Creek that afternoon

We stay in Dawson Creek for a day and i continue on to Prince George, BC, a 404km ride, leaving at 12h30 because I woke up thirsty and with a big headache.

Just outside of Chetwynd i finally start seeng mountains

I filled up in Chetwynd but because of the mountain pass i used a lot of fuel and i limp in to Prince George, BC. at around 17h00.