Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Ally panniers for 1200gs  (Read 1104 times)

Uncle Bob

Ally panniers for 1200gs
« on: May 18, 2006, 10:25:51 am »
I need/want a set of ally panniers for my 12oo gs, i already have the plastic BMW expaning topbox and tankbag but SWMBO can't pack small enough, also my camping gear was bought by someone(me) who has a bigger is better approuch and i've always had a double cab to pack all of it in.
With touratech sa gone i'm now left in the dark.
on the ukgser forum they reckon these http://www.cajasahel.com are some of the best i can have them shipped here for approx. 950 euro and suppose if i have them labelled as used import will be low.

is it worth it or are there proper alternatives in SA?

Thanks in Advance

shark_za

Ally panniers for 1200gs
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 10:35:17 am »
The old bunch of touratech lost the rights but a new group have started it up a lot more professionally.

http://www.touratechsa.co.za/index.html

Uncle Bob

Thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 10:49:15 am »
Shweet thanks, worthit though

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
Ally panniers for 1200gs
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 10:52:33 am »
You guys can contact Paul aka Caveman at EIBC as well, very nice dude and will ship from the UK for much less than Civil :roll: is quoting.

EIBC Ltd These panniers are very well made and the fitting of them on and off the bike with the pannier system is one of the best I have seen.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline X Banana Boy

Ally panniers for 1200gs
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 02:36:26 pm »
In the US there is Jesse Luggage and Happy Trails as the main one's.  There are probably others but I can't think if them at the moment.

Offline X Banana Boy

Ally panniers for 1200gs
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 02:39:03 pm »
Quote from: "X Banana Boy"
In the US there is Jesse Luggage and Happy Trails as the main one's.  There are probably others but I can't think if them at the moment.

here are the links: http://www.jesseluggage.com/
http://www.happy-trail.com/

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
Ally panniers for 1200gs
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 02:49:50 pm »
I believe those Jesse boxes is some of the best you can buy. Have never heard a bad word about them ever.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Uncle Bob

Look good
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 03:41:30 pm »
Is there an agent in sa?

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
Re: Look good
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 03:53:01 pm »
Quote from: "Bob's yer uncle"
Is there an agent in sa?

I don't think Jesse's got agents anywhere in the world. Even in the UK you have to order them from there, same goes for Corbin seats. Real pity because they are top goods but after all the import duties etc just don't know whether it's worth that much. Now if you had a friend who was visiting the USA and did not mind packing a few metal panniers in his suitcase :D

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Ally panniers for 1200gs
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 05:11:21 pm »
Touratech and Cytech have lekker ally panniers, I have Hepco Becker from Cytech and love them. 43 l each.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Uncle Bob

Ally panniers for 1200gs
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2006, 08:30:45 am »
Quote from: "Adventurer"
Touratech and Cytech have lekker ally panniers, I have Hepco Becker from Cytech and love them. 43 l each.

Piccies ?

Is there a dealer in RSA or did you import them?

Uncle Bob

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2006, 08:32:06 am »
Quote from: "Maverick"
Is there an agent in sa?

I don't think Jesse's got agents anywhere in the world. Even in the UK you have to order them from there, same goes for Corbin seats. Real pity because they are top goods but after all the import duties etc just don't know whether it's worth that much. Now if you had a friend who was visiting the USA and did not mind packing a few metal panniers in his suitcase :D

Well i'm going to Vegas in September - maybe i should wait a bit ?

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2006, 10:53:18 am »

Bob if you going that route personally would wait. Just sort your order out before hand and make sure they have stock and can deliver/post it to you when you that side. All you do is pack your clothing etc in the panniers and take it back as your luggage (koffers). Hopefully the frames is of such that they can also somehow fit into the lot.

The Jesses is really awesome boxes and you will not be dissapointed.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Ally panniers for 1200gs
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2006, 11:03:44 am »
The reason why I bought Touratech's Zega panniers is because they have an agent in SA. If something breaks or leaks I can bitch an moan however often I want and try and get things sorted.
With a long distance order it becomes a bit tricky.

They also have a good reputation and I like the clean and simple design.

Uncle Bob

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2006, 01:45:46 pm »

Bob if you going that route personally would wait. Just sort your order out before hand and make sure they have stock and can deliver/post it to you when you that side. All you do is pack your clothing etc in the panniers and take it back as your luggage (koffers). Hopefully the frames is of such that they can also somehow fit into the lot.

Sorted, wait i shall, bring back panniers i will.

Offline X Banana Boy

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2006, 02:45:31 pm »

Sorted, wait i shall, bring back panniers i will.

Jesse should be able to mail to your hotel.  Jesse is in Arizona.  tell t6hem your plans and he should be able to work out something.