Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Export bike to Aus  (Read 6499 times)

Offline WimC

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
Export bike to Aus
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:58:24 pm »
I need an export company to export a bike to Australia. Any suggestions?
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Yamaha WR250R

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
Re: Export bike to Aus
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 03:15:18 pm »
Australia is FULL of Sh1T when it comes to bringing any anything.
Expect paper work - tons of it.
LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline blauth

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 03:53:32 pm »
I assisted SteveInDAR to prep all the paperwork for export to Tanzania....

It's a ball ache!!!
- Will need police clearance for export. For this, you will need the Certificate of Origin for the bike.
- Will need MicroDot.
- Letter of Authority from owner of motorcycle.
- Need letters from the person purchasing the bike (if this is the case) with their details (ID's etc, address where it's being exported)
- Invoice for Customs purposes.

and I am sure there are a bunch of other things they will need.

Offline chickenbadger

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 04:20:58 pm »
Temp export or permanent?
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. I dont have this luxury.

Offline badballie

• Macum Amicum Est
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • www.bikersagainstdrugs.co.za
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 04:48:56 pm »
Check this :

Automobiles/Motorbikes:
IMPORTING VEHICLES TO AUSTRALIA
Overseas vehicles are generally built to different specifications to those required for the Australian market; Do
not assume that a vehicle which seems to be similar in appearance is identical to a model already available in
Australia.
An importer needs to obtain a Vehicle Import Approval before the vehicle is shipped available from DOTARS:
http://www.dotars.gov.au/
http://search.dotars.gov.au/search/search.cgi?collection=Dotars&form=simple_dotars&query=importing%20moto
r%20vehicles

For vehicles imported before an import approval is given
The Commonwealth Department of Transport and Regional Services has advised that an import approval cannot
be granted [under Section 19 of the Act or under the regulations made pursuant to Section 20] where the
vehicle(s) has been imported without an import approval.
The Motor Vehicle Standards Act (MVSA) 1989 and the Regulations do not allow the Administrator of Vehicle
Standards to issue an import approval where a vehicle has already been imported into Australia.
It should be noted that importation occurs once the vehicle is landed or brought within a port for the purposes of
landing it. Under Section 18 of the MVSA, it is an offence to import, without an import approval, a nonstandard
vehicle or a vehicle that does not have an identification plate.
The origin office must ensure that client applies for the permit prior to shipping.
You are required to complete an import application form from available from: http://www.dotars.gov.au/ and
forward along with your cheque to Federal Office of Road Safety in Canberra to obtain your Import Approval
Document.

The vehicle will not be handed over to you without this approval, and any delays may prove costly.
Import permits are also required for motor bikes, motor scooters, vespa's, and scooters, even including
some of the larger childrens replica motor cars /bikes/scooters such as miniature Harleys . This is without
exception and also applies to caravans, sidecars and trailers, from box trailers up .
Import approval will be granted if the following requirements are met:
 a number of firms in Australia have approval to fit compliance plates to a limited number of imported models.
Some of these firms will modify individual vehicles for you, and fit a compliance plate. If you wish to import
under this category, you must obtain a written agreement from one of these firms stating that the vehicle will
be modified to comply with the Australian Design Rules and a Compliance Plate fitted. Vehicle Standards
Bulletin No 8 may be viewed on the internet at http://www.dotrs.gov.au/ and gives details of those firms
which have approval; or the vehicle is a Standard Vehicle, ie the vehicle is already fitted with an Australian Compliance Plate; or
 a Letter of Compliance has been issued by the Compliance Plate Approval holder eg BMW, Mercedes Benz
etc, who holds full volume compliance plate approval, ie those who import or manufacture vehicles for the
Australian Market in large numbers. Vehicle manufacturers or distributors have no obligation to fit an
Australian Compliance Plate or issue a Letter of Compliance for vehicles built overseas (for further
information see Page 6); or You have owned and used the vehicle overseas for a period of not less than twelve continuous calendar
months, you are of driving age and are an Australian citizen or a migrant holding permanent residency in
Australia: or the vehicle is 15 or more years old on the date it lands in Australia, or, for small trailers (less than 4.5 tonnes
laden vehicle mass) was manufactured before I July 1988.
Usually vehicles for use on public roads in Australia are required to be Right Hand Drive (RHD), contact your
local State or Territory Registration Authority for information on acceptance of Left Hand Drive (LHD) vehicles.
Before importing a vehicle, you should make sure you meet one of the import requirements, or you may have to
export the vehicle, scrap it, or face a fine of up to 120 penalty points, 1 penalty point equals A$110 (as at
2/2/00), for each offence.
For the customs clearance of motor vehicles (including motor cycles) the client must personally produce the
following documentation upon arrival:
 Original Import Permit.
 Identity page of passport.
 Export permit (if applicable).
 Proof of purchase that states the date of purchase, as well as the price paid. If not available owner may
arrange valuation on arrival, charges will apply.
 Brisbane only- a valuation is mandatory for all vehicles, including motor bikes and trailers etc.

Any other documents relating to the motor vehicle that shows the length of ownership. (Eg: Insurance
papers/certificates, registration papers, logbooks and service books).
 One off import letter
 Australian Customs Service form titled “Statement for Vehicle Imported by a Passenger” (B357). Not
mandatory but will assist in the clearance.-
Important Notes:
It is most important that clients bring the above documentation into Australia with them personally and
do not pack it in their household goods shipment.
The Department of Environment & Heritage has advised that a new document is to be completed and signed
by the client in order for clearance to be obtained for motor vehicles being imported into Australia..
Attached please find a template:
t should be noted that Motor Vehicles do NOT qualify as Personal Effects and a permit from the Department of
Environment and Heritage is still required to allow importation
Full details available @ http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/FS_Ozone040819.pdf

Demurrage charges may accrue at the port until this document  is obtained.
 The client must have Permanent Residency before an Import Permit will be granted.
 A client may bring a vehicle in under a “Carnet” (if the client is not taking up permanent residency).
However, the vehicle must be re-exported within 12 months.
 New Zealand citizens only- MUST NOW ALSO HAVE PERMANENT RESIDENCY PRIOR TO SHIPPING
AND BEFORE IMPORT PERMIT WILL BE GRANTED.
 DUTY/TAXES CALCULATIONS - visit Austalian Customs website full full details

Get a Internation Removal company to assist - not just a freight forwarder. What happens is Freight forwarder charges you up to port in Aus, then your indaba. So you end up with running around looking for someone to assist and they charge what they want because you in the crap. And you end up paying demurrage.
Cash, Gas or Ass............ no-one rides for free :-)

I did it because I can, I can because I want to and I want to because you said that I couldn't !!!!!!!

Offline WimC

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 11:19:20 pm »
Permanent export. My XT660Z Tenere has a lot of extras and would be extremely expensive to buy over there. SW-Motech protection, Trax topbox, SW- Motech pannier frames, Hyperpro suspension, Power Commander and Autotune, Leo Vince pipes, Garmin Montana mount, SW - Motech footpegs, Yamaha LED indicators, high screen etc.

Badballie. I am looking for a shipping company that can do all the paperwork that is necessary.

Thanks for everybody's contribution, all info would be helpful.
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Yamaha WR250R

Offline IRISH

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 11:54:03 pm »
WimC, I have just exported my bike to NZ for much the same reasons that you have stated. NZ and OZ have similar requirements. I used Stuttafords Van Lines to transport my container and the bike went with my furniture and personal effects. They e-mailed me all the hoops that I had to jump through and they were largely what Blauth stated. The micro-dot is something I can't fathom out as I am the owner and in NZ I will still be the owner and they make a flippen mess of your bike. Just about every part gets painted with some horrible glue and then the dots are stuck to the bike. You will also have to have the bike stripped and cleaned properly and that includes a new airfilter or a very clean one. I had to show invoice evidence of this. A good idea is to get hold of the AA in Aus. If you find someone there to help you, take a photo of your frame tag with the VIN number on it and e-mail it to that person. You will then be told if your bike complies with brake standards and structural requirements. If it does not you will not be able to export it, but most Jap bikes do conform so you should not have a problem. They will milk you for money that side as you cannot ride the bike until it is registered and insured and the testing/scrutiny address is not the same as the warehousing at the harbour. You will also get charged storage fees and they will want to charge you for transport unless you have a trailer to borrow.

Offline Aquatic

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 12:09:57 am »
Permanent export. My XT660Z Tenere has a lot of extras and would be extremely expensive to buy over there. SW-Motech protection, Trax topbox, SW- Motech pannier frames, Hyperpro suspension, Power Commander and Autotune, Leo Vince pipes, Garmin Montana mount, SW - Motech footpegs, Yamaha LED indicators, high screen etc.

Badballie. I am looking for a shipping company that can do all the paperwork that is necessary.

Bikes are expensive here, yes. But it will cost you way more to bring your bike here. Way more!!!! Promise
Return your bike to OEM. Put your farckles in a box and buy another XT when you get here.

Unless you have the money burn and the bike has sentimental value.

Where you landing? Good luck
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:10:22 am by Aquatic »
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 05:37:13 am »
Why is it so difficult to export something you intend to use?
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 07:22:13 am »

Bikes are expensive here, yes. But it will cost you way more to bring your bike here. Way more!!!! Promise
Return your bike to OEM. Put your farckles in a box and buy another XT when you get here.Unless you have the money burn and the bike has sentimental value.

Where you landing? Good luck
Sounds like a much better idea than the schlepp and costs of shipping the bike in its current state.

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 07:35:33 am »

Fortress Australia, mate!
Don't you watch "Border Control"?
That's the polite, happy face of Australia Customs and Immigration.
Catch them on a bad day... ?!!

On my visit to Sydney in 2000, the beagle drug sniffer dog was walking up and down the line of waiting passengers, sniffing their hand luggage.  As a dog lover, I said "Hullo boy" to him and got shat out by the B-with-an-Itch handler.
"DO NOT ADDRESS THE CANINE CUSTOMS OFFICER!"
No 'please' or 'sir' like the movie...

She didn't get it all that morning - for sure!

LIFE'S MUCH COOLER WITHOUT UNDERWEAR,
Life-long supporter of the "Free the Nipple" movement
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I'm far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Chuck U Farley

• Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • What the Chuck, Farley?
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 08:48:13 am »

Wim, do you want to "export" the bike i.e...... only the bike goes to Oz & not you?
OR: If you are either immigrating or going over to work on one of the regognised work visas, the you can take the bike with you & not pay import duties provided it has been registered in you name for longer than a year.

Bikes are expensive there because they attract import duties. If you do qualify to take it exempt of this tax, it makes a lot of sense to do so. Best to use an agent that has had experience with this before & has a connection with an import agent on that side.

Keep us updated on your progress.
go BIG or go home

Offline lecap

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2013, 08:56:41 am »

Fortress Australia, mate!
Don't you watch "Border Control"?
That's the polite, happy face of Australia Customs and Immigration.
Catch them on a bad day... ?!!

On my visit to Sydney in 2000, the beagle drug sniffer dog was walking up and down the line of waiting passengers, sniffing their hand luggage.  As a dog lover, I said "Hullo boy" to him and got shat out by the B-with-an-Itch handler.
"DO NOT ADDRESS THE CANINE CUSTOMS OFFICER!"
No 'please' or 'sir' like the movie...

She didn't get it all that morning - for sure!

Well at least she spoke to you ???

Mrs. Le Cap thought of it being appropriate and polite to greet the passport control customs fart at Munich International with a friendly "Good Morning!" and only got an empty look in reply ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline chickenbadger

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2013, 09:38:42 am »
Im glad Econotrans has not been mentioned yet.

They will do the job that you require them to, but faaaaark it is a ball ache trying to deal with them, and two weeks after you dropped your bike off because "you need to get your bike here yesterday" and the bike is still milling somewhere in the country and they wont give you ANY information on anything to do with anything, so you start doing your own research with the shipping companies like MSC and the shipping companies tell you the real information that contradicts what Econotrans tells you, now its a fight, but your baby is still somewhere in someone elses possession.

Fark it.

Dont use them.

This was our experience shipping our bikes from Cape Town to Mombasa under Carnet, I cant imagine permanent import to Australia. Incompetence and lack of transparency from the start. And they nominated one hell of a corrupt deconsolidation company in Mombasa to receive our bikes, they tried to charge us a whole host of made up costs just to release the bikes, these made up costs came to the same amount as it costs to ship the bikes to Mombasa.

Try see how much it will cost to just take a whole container, I know it would have been cheaper if we just took one whole container for ourselves (two of us). But Paperwork might be a hassle...
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. I dont have this luxury.

Offline Aquatic

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 10:31:47 am »
You can bring the bike over quite easily if you plan to park it in a show room.
You will pay duties and possibly tax on the bike.
 Getting it compliant to use on the road is when you hoes.
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline Chuck U Farley

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 10:47:22 am »
You can bring the bike over quite easily if you plan to park it in a show room.
You will pay duties and possibly tax on the bike.
 Getting it compliant to use on the road is when you hoes.

I'm half way thru the process. I have PR & have been told I will not have to pay duties as long as the bike has been registered in my name for longer then 1 year. I desparately want to take my airhead with because it's special, sentimental etc, but I'm starting to think it might be too much of a ball ache to to get it compliant for rego etc. Tough call, I might rather take a GSA with or just can the whole thing & take a serious beating & buy when I get there!
go BIG or go home

Offline Wolweseun

• Forum Vendor
  • Vendors
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • VannieBaai
    • Bikes n Bits
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 11:04:24 am »
Sell your XT and just take the Farkles buy a new and fit there
Will probably end up cheaper and far less hassle

Mike same for you strip bike and send pieces, buy another one there and rebuild into that frame
"Life is like a penis - simple, relaxed and hanging free...

it's women who make it hard"

www.bikesnbits.co.za

Offline Chuck U Farley

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 11:19:14 am »
Sell your XT and just take the Farkles buy a new and fit there
Will probably end up cheaper and far less hassle

Mike same for you strip bike and send pieces, buy another one there and rebuild into that frame

Good idea! It's just that I stretched my skills to the limit to build the bike the first time & I'm not going to have Volker to run to everytime I get stuck!!  :biggrin:
go BIG or go home

Offline WimC

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 11:39:42 am »
@ Aquatic: I am landing at the end of the month in Rockhampton. My family and container will join me in December.

I am already paying for the container for my household goods, so there is no extra costs involved for shipping the bike, just all the hectic paperwork.
KTM 1090 Adventure R
Yamaha WR250R

Offline Chuck U Farley

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 11:46:26 am »
@ Aquatic: I am landing at the end of the month in Rockhampton. My family and container will join me in December.

I am already paying for the container for my household goods, so there is no extra costs involved for shipping the bike, just all the hectic paperwork.

I'm about a year behind you. Sterkte boet!  :thumleft:
go BIG or go home