Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Export bike to Aus  (Read 6500 times)

Offline DakarDirk

Re: Export bike to Aus
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2014, 10:14:06 pm »
Also contemplating taking my 2011 800GS with farkles over next year or buying new over there.
To sum it up a new bike there costs about R 40 000 more than here. A new 800GS is about R 170 000 and 660tenere  about R 130 000 at R10/$AU.
Tough decision to make but worth it if you want to go to the trouble. A decent export company will be an advantage

Offline DakarDirk

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2014, 12:06:40 pm »
Just an update to fellow dogs who are in the same boat (and it seems that there are a few) taking their bike to Oz with them when emigrating.
I'm visiting my family on the Gold Coast at the moment and have paid some visits to the local bike shops, especially interested in buying a 660 Tenere in a year's time. The manager was not very keen to talk cash deals and quoted me AU$ 15500 for clean bike on road (which includes about $500 rego for a year).
I can buy a new bike in SA for R95 000 and kit it out for another R20 000. If it costs me another R15 000 to get it on the road over there, I reckon I'll still save R25 000 by importing it plus I'll have it farkled out already.
Anything I've missed ?

Offline Aquatic

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
    • Ratel Engineering Design
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2014, 03:00:43 pm »
While you're here, go to the nearest transport department office and go and enquire the cost of putting a foreign vehicle on the road. Try and contact customs as well and see if/how much duties will be applicable.

Just an update to fellow dogs who are in the same boat (and it seems that there are a few) taking their bike to Oz with them when emigrating.
I'm visiting my family on the Gold Coast at the moment and have paid some visits to the local bike shops, especially interested in buying a 660 Tenere in a year's time. The manager was not very keen to talk cash deals and quoted me AU$ 15500 for clean bike on road (which includes about $500 rego for a year).
I can buy a new bike in SA for R95 000 and kit it out for another R20 000. If it costs me another R15 000 to get it on the road over there, I reckon I'll still save R25 000 by importing it plus I'll have it farkled out already.
Anything I've missed ?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:05:22 pm by Aquatic »
The conundrum that is life...
You have to be absolutely smashed to have the guts to attempt it,
But perfectly sober to achieve any success!

Offline 10Klr

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2015, 02:55:06 pm »
Hi All

Great thread, something i will be looking at too. 

Any idea of the on-road costs etc?

Cheers
Love the one you are with

Offline IanTheTooth

• Bike: AJS (all models)
  • The past is a foreign country
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2015, 05:03:51 pm »
Yes. I'm planning to take my DR650 and TDM900 to Brisbane but I'm really not sure about the WR250. It is licenced for the road here (haha) and it would be for off road use only there but I'm not sure about the paperwork in the middle!

Anyone taken Ski boats and caravans?
The dog that caught the car. What now?

Offline DakarDirk

« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2015, 09:41:51 pm »
A good site to check out what is needed to import your bike into Aus:
http://rvcs-prodweb.dot.gov.au

If you're going to Queensland here is another site with info regarding rego of vehicles in QLD:
http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/registration/roadworthy/index.html

I have decided to sell my bike and buy new over there. Actually I've already bought a 660 tenere in Aus which I'll rego when over there in May. Cost quite a bit more there than here, but got a nice bike with lots of farkles on a promotion deal. If adding the R15000 importing expenses and trouble, it was not that much extra.