Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: XTZ660 Tenere dissapointed  (Read 4199 times)

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: XTZ660 Tenere dissapointed
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2013, 08:08:18 am »
Oh dear - I answer a question about my bike and everyone's upset again  :biggrin:

You are forgetting about the 'dual' part. Why should the name be changed to suit your riding preference and why can't the sport part be applied to the road?

Well OK, your implication would be something like a superbike adapted for dirt (ie a road racing bike adapted for dirt)? So maybe something like the Versys 1000 which I understand has a superbike derived engine? 

Although that's not the way I personally understood the term DS.  My point was the way I  always understood the origin of the term "dual sport" was an off road racing bike that had been adapted for tar riding/cruising.

But we are arguing about semantics in any event.

glad i own a Dakar that comes standard with racing heritage

the BMW F650RR won the Dakar - you dont get more racing than that

o wait you are now going to say that the Dakar is not racing and that you were more talking Roof of Africa kind of racing

race bike of today is useless overweigh pig of tomorrow

im doing 700km on my overweigh race bike today how far are you going

Why are you getting upset?  If you like your bike and it suites you then that's all that matters!

But for me the Dakar dissapointed me quite a lot, to the point that I really grew to dislike and only rode it once evry few months when my car was in for a service.  To be fair its not got any resemblance or embedded design left over from any off road racing bike - its a road bike through and through.  Its started out as a BMW version of the Aprillia Pegaso.  So any link to the bike that won the Dakar is in the name and the marketing brochure - but I fell for that and still feel bitter about it. 

But as I said, if the bike suites you, and you like it - then why worry about what I say or think?

PS the first trip I did on my Husky was down to Himeville (and then into Lesotho  :thumleft:) which was just over 700ks on the 1st day - no problem.  Also been up to Louis Trichard, Giyani, Hoedspruit, Pilgrims Rest, Dullstroom in three days solo - no issues.

Granted the Dakar is a lot better at cruising long distances - I rode down to Knysna and back on it 1200ks odd per day and it was great for that!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 08:11:08 am by alanB »
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline edgy

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
    • A Stone's Throw Bed & Breakfast
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2013, 08:10:32 am »
But for me the Dakar dissapointed me quite a lot, to the point that I really grew to dislike and only rode it once evry few months when my car was in for a service.  To be fair its not got any resemblance or embedded design left over from any off road racing bike - its a road bike through and through.  Its started out as a BMW version of the Aprillia Pegaso.  So any link to the bike that won the Dakar is in the name and the marketing brochure - but I fell for that and still feel bitter about it.

Agreed,my Dakar was great on the road....that was that!!
www.astonesthrow.co.za

BEER..."I drink it when I`m happy or when I`m sad. I drink it when I`m alone. When I have company I consider it obligatory. Trifle with it if I`m not hungry and drink it when I am. Otherwise, I never touch it - unless I`m thirsty"

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2013, 08:25:39 am »
Oh dear - I answer a question about my bike and everyone's upset again  :biggrin:

You are forgetting about the 'dual' part. Why should the name be changed to suit your riding preference and why can't the sport part be applied to the road?

Well OK, your implication would be something like a superbike adapted for dirt (ie a road racing bike adapted for dirt)? So maybe something like the Versys 1000 which I understand has a superbike derived engine? 

Although that's not the way I personally understood the term DS.  My point was the way I  always understood the origin of the term "dual sport" was an off road racing bike that had been adapted for tar riding/cruising.

But we are arguing about semantics in any event.

I don't have any implication. I just ride bikes. All I am saying is that dual is also part of the equation, not just sport so it could lean either way. Hence DUAL, it's in the name....
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2013, 08:28:49 am »
Agreed,my Dakar was great on the road....that was that!!

What do you think the designers had in mind when they created the Dakar?
I would say 60% road, 40% gravel and 0% off road. They nailed it pretty well and created a successful bike.
By the way, Dakar is only a name for the bike. It was never designed to actually race in it.
We must always have the design script in mind before we bash a DS bike for being soft.

I understand that you feel bitter about your bike for it's shortcomings. After all, you wished your bike could do something that it was never designed to do in first place. Who's fault is it?

Offline the_BOBNOB

• is not a
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2013, 08:42:53 am »
i'm not upset i'm just trying to show that a race bike of 10y ago is overweight in todays standards

so i dont add any "weight" to a DS bike must have racing heritage - excuse the pun  :P

whatever floats your boat is my moto - if it has 2, 3 or 4 wheels i'll ride it (i do not do unicycle thats just stupid  :-\ )

in a perfect world i would have a XR650R motor in a KTM 640 Adventure frame/bike

but that is not ever likely to happen so i will have to make lemonade with the lemons i have  :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2013, 09:06:54 am »

but that is not ever likely to happen so i will have to make lemonade with the lemons i have 

Goodluck without sugar and water

Offline NeilV

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
    • My Flickr account
« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2013, 09:09:28 am »

whatever floats your boat is my moto - if it has 2, 3 or 4 wheels i'll ride it (i do not do unicycle thats just stupid  :-\ )

:-[ As a unicycle rider I am offended by your comment.  :laughing4:  :lol8:
Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2013, 09:13:06 am »
I understand that you feel bitter about your bike for it's shortcomings. After all, you wished your bike could do something that it was never designed to do in first place. Who's fault is it?

Quite right, it was mine.  I got all rosy eyed and even though I should have known better just looking at the bike closely I let the glossy brochures etc get the better of me  :biggrin:.

But in the end reason prevailed.

Hence my comments about not living in denial - I know from experience it doesn't help.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2013, 09:15:31 am »
Eks nou sommer lus en koop vir my 'n Z en kom ry die kak uit julle ouens op julle 'regte' adventure bikes  :pot: :peepwall:
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2013, 09:21:01 am »
Eks nou sommer lus en koop vir my 'n Z en kom ry die kak uit julle ouens op julle 'regte' adventure bikes  :pot: :peepwall:

Knowing how well you can ride - I'm sure that would be the case  :thumleft: :biggrin:

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2013, 09:22:11 am »
Eks nou sommer lus en koop vir my 'n Z en kom ry die kak uit julle ouens op julle 'regte' adventure bikes  :pot: :peepwall:

Knowing how well you can ride - I'm sure that would be the case  :thumleft: :biggrin:

Oh stop  :redface:  :lol8:

Offline Operator

• is a Forum Vendor and a
  • Grey hound
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:05 am »
 :bueller:

This thread is so boring.

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #112 on: June 20, 2013, 09:25:17 am »

Ek het dit nogals geniet. Dis vervrissend dat mense iets anders af kraak as BMs  :lol8:

Offline Operator

• Grey hound
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #113 on: June 20, 2013, 09:32:36 am »

Ek het dit nogals geniet. Dis vervrissend dat mense iets anders af kraak as BMs  :lol8:

Dis waar  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Operator

• Grey hound
  • Official Vendor
    • Vendor
« Reply #114 on: June 20, 2013, 09:37:57 am »
Enige bike kan enige plek indonner................dit hang net af hoe baie guts die ryer het  ;)    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Soos Eisbein eendag gesÍ het op 'n trip...............sy idee van adventure riding is :

"Taking a GS 1200 in to inappropriate places"   :spitcoffee:

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #115 on: June 20, 2013, 09:50:52 am »
wa die moer gaan die eindig? Eers was dit 'n kak bike, toe ry elkeen waar hy wil en met wat hy wil, nou chalange die plastics die DS bike op 4x4 track.

Ek nog net dankbaar dat die swaar BM's nie hier uitmekaar gehaal word nie, maar is seker dit sal ook nog gebeur.

Hier was al 'n paar waar woorde gespreek, maar dowe ore en groot ego's hoor dit nie.

Ek hou van Andy se bikes en ek like Dustmite se KLR, maar ek weeg 118kg en is 2m lank, so ek voel hulle is te klein en verkies die groter swaarder bikes waarmee ek ook maar oral gaan.

En nee, ek gaan niemand chalange nie en ook geen chalange aanvat nie. Ek vat 'n bike vir die dag en dis die chalange om die roete vir die dag met die keuse van bike klaar te maak. Selfs die 1200S is soms 'n chalange om weer by die huis te kry al is dit heelpad teerpad.

En soos Operator gese het. Klaar gepraat. Geen argumente nodig oor my standpunt ook nie, WANT DIS MYNE.
Jy lees, maar verstaan nie.
Ek het gese dat die 690's die roete maklik gedoen het..

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline Boerbok

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Melbourne (ex-Centurion)
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2013, 10:27:32 am »
Enige bike kan enige plek indonner................dit hang net af hoe baie guts die ryer het  ;)    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Soos Eisbein eendag gesÍ het op 'n trip...............sy idee van adventure riding is :

"Taking a GS 1200 in to inappropriate places"   :spitcoffee:

Dit mag dalk waar wees, maar:

"...dit hang net af hoe baie guts die ryer het, en hoe dik sy beursie is:deal:

I do not mind taking someone else's 1200GS into inappropriate places, as long as I don't have to fix it afterwards...  ;D

Ook, enige bike kan slegte paaie ry, maar jy gaan dit nie noodwendig geniet nie.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 10:28:44 am by Boerbok »
Hans

CURRENT: 2017 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
SOLD: 2013 BMW F800GS - 2007 BMW G650 XChallenge - 2004 BMW R1200GS - 2002 KTM 640 Adventure - 1998 Honda XR600R

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #117 on: June 20, 2013, 10:33:19 am »
Went to look at a Tenere today. It has always looked good in pics but when I saw it today I was a bit dissapointed. I know it's heavy standing next to it I can see why, it's huge ! Double silencer's, moerse bar ends and lots of other stuff just adding to the weight. The ground clearance also looked a bit dodgy and the forks resembles toothpicks. Next to it was a Dakar which I have ridden before, being around 8 years older in design I saw no real advanatge for the Yamaha sans slightly better looks. I cannot undertand how KTM can build such kick ass bikes like the 690 and the Japanese gives us these dare I say it "boring" bikes. Please Tenere owners I'm not dishing, just wish the superbike technology could rub off on the ds bikes as well. Yes 90% of us cannot even ride a 660 to it's full potential but when the going gets tough I'm pretty sure the 690 will make life alot easier than the 660. The search continues for a 650 class bike ....

The 660Z was cleverly designed and built for long distance D/S touring, and if you have evr ridden 690 and 660Z you will see how clever it is. Small diameter forks offer considerably less stiction, this is resistance to movement due to larger contact area through seals and bushes, and plays a major part in smoothing out small ripples. And small ripples is what makes up a dirt road and this contributes greatly to the Z's ability to do long distances without wrist arthritis.
The chassis is specially designed for full-load touring with strenghtened rear frame. To compare this bike with the 690 that has a plastic subframe is not only unfair but also not clever.
And the Z is still slightly lighter than the Dakar, but the Z is of course "tour-ready" off the floor.

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2013, 11:37:01 am »

Ek sal gou nog n dual sport gaan soek wat my nie impress nie :)
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #119 on: June 20, 2013, 11:52:25 am »

Ek sal gou nog n dual sport gaan soek wat my nie impress nie :)
hahah!

-- Jou lekke ding! --