Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: XTZ660 Tenere dissapointed  (Read 4203 times)

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
Re: XTZ660 Tenere dissapointed
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2013, 01:27:52 pm »
C'mon guys lighten up,  I didnt "diss" the bike, nor did I insult anyone.

I just stated my opinion.  You cant deny the bike is designed more for tar than dirt (just look at all the expensive panels etc) and it is heavy - heavier than even the Dakar, if I remember correctly.  If you liked the Dakar or that type of bike, I'm sure you would really like XTZ, but if you wanted something that was a lot better for off road riding then its not the right bike - that's a fair honest statement.  Why get upset about it?

I don't understand why people get so upset when someone gives an honest opinion instead of only singing praises about a bike - no point in living in denial.

I made it clear why I personally didn't want the bike after considering it - why take offense at that ?????
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2013, 02:04:29 pm »
C'mon guys lighten up,  I didnt "diss" the bike, nor did I insult anyone.
I just stated my opinion.  You cant deny the bike is designed more for tar than dirt (just look at all the expensive panels etc) and it is heavy - heavier than even the Dakar, if I remember correctly.  If you liked the Dakar or that type of bike, I'm sure you would really like XTZ, but if you wanted something that was a lot better for off road riding then its not the right bike - that's a fair honest statement.  Why get upset about it?
I don't understand why people get so upset when someone gives an honest opinion instead of only singing praises about a bike - no point in living in denial.
I made it clear why I personally didn't want the bike after considering it - why take offense at that ?????
Nothing wrong in what you have said, but ...
Bikers can be quite sensitive if someone else is critical about their bikes. The bike you own will always be the best one  ;D
I call my 1150 a pig. If someone else would tell me that I ride a heavy, ugly looking pig, I also might take it the wrong way, even if it's true.
Let's just call the XTZ660 Ten one of the best single cylinder DS bikes ever made. Which it is really.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:46:16 pm by DirtyHarry »

Offline Vlakhaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2013, 02:24:04 pm »
@alanB - I appologize if I misunderstood your post. I got the impression your main concern was weight and suspension, which lead you to an enduro bike, not the Tenere you talked about. You are of course entitled to your opinion, it is what a forum is about. It was not seen as insulting.

I just think that one should experience a bike under the riding conditions it was designed for before deciding to dismiss it completely for some figure on a piece of paper, irrespective of make or model. My very familiar GSA felt far lighter than a cruiser I rode recently, even though the BMW was significantly heavier.

I haven't been on a Dakar in a very long time, but from what I can remember it was also a completely different feeling from the Tenere. To me, riding the Tenere under DS conditions, compared to my 2009 KLR under the exact same conditions, the Tenere felt far lighter, even though it was on paper heavier. Ride height and suspension was probably the main reasons.

Offline DirtyHarry

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • The journey will never end.
    • waveline holiday accommodation
« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2013, 06:42:16 pm »
 :thumleft:
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:44:39 pm by DirtyHarry »

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2013, 06:47:58 pm »
where is the expensive panels on the Z???
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline DeeCeeBee

• Race Dog
  • Tasmania - Australia
« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2013, 07:14:21 pm »
I have been lusting over this bike since I first laid eyes on it. For ME it ticks all the right boxes and I WILL be looking for a previously loved one soon as I have just been promoted at work... 
Just for interest sakes @subie... Why the "r" and not the " z"??
XR650R
Africa Twin Adv Sport DCT
XR100R

Offline Jondu

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2013, 07:24:18 pm »
To me, riding the Tenere under DS conditions, compared to my 2009 KLR under the exact same conditions, the Tenere felt far lighter, even though it was on paper heavier. Ride height and suspension was probably the main reasons.

Is dit regtig so? Ek loer net die Tenere en het gedog die KLR wat ons het hanteer beter.
Sorry vir die hi-jack

Offline Sir Rat

• So it begins.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
  • Sir Sir Sir
« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2013, 07:37:45 pm »
Ag nee wat kÍrels. Ek dink die XT660Z is vir ou oomies wat wil kewl lyk op n DS bike. Die bike het alles op en die looks maar ry net  lekke op teer.  :peepwall:

Even buzzlight looks like an old man on his Z.  ;D

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2013, 07:41:28 pm »
I have been lusting over this bike since I first laid eyes on it. For ME it ticks all the right boxes and I WILL be looking for a previously loved one soon as I have just been promoted at work... 
Just for interest sakes @subie... Why the "r" and not the " z"??

The R is lighter,seat height lower. The R is perfect for my type of adventure trips and riding style. I am more confident on the "simpler"
lower,lighter R. I have been all over the country with my R. Never needed "better" suspension,more ground clearance, better windprotection (which I don't understand what is the issue about this ). I plan my trips so my 250 - 300km fuel range is adequate for me.  Both my R's never had any headshakes,fuel surging , or crap suspension  (vendors are so quick to point out )The Z like the new shape KLR is just to "busy" with all the extra tupperware for me. I love the way my R handles. I am on my second R totally in love with the bike so may be a bit biased  :ricky:
My bike is just for adventure trips and nothing else. No trips to cafe or just round the block.
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline DeeCeeBee

• Race Dog
  • Tasmania - Australia
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2013, 07:57:11 pm »
Thanks subie.
Seems it suits your purposes just right
Lots of opinions and advice offered here though, the best I think is to ride before you decide.
To me, the tender just looks so lekker!!
XR650R
Africa Twin Adv Sport DCT
XR100R

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2013, 08:07:36 pm »
Dink my smaak is ook n bietjie weird.
Ek hou nie van die XT660 Z en nuwe KLR se look nie. Die ou fugly shape is weer vir my great.
Die ou 600 tenere was vir my seker die lelikste,gevrekte bike wat ek ooit gery het. Die ding was solid en betroubaar soos n ou kanniedood trekker.
Die groot BMW bikes is pragtig maar heeltemal belaglik in my oe as adventure bikes.
Nog net een KTM gesien wat vir my mooi is. Daai model wat orange swifty ry ,die 950R

:lol8:   :ricky:
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline Vlakhaas

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2013, 10:59:51 pm »
To me, riding the Tenere under DS conditions, compared to my 2009 KLR under the exact same conditions, the Tenere felt far lighter, even though it was on paper heavier. Ride height and suspension was probably the main reasons.

Is dit regtig so? Ek loer net die Tenere en het gedog die KLR wat ons het hanteer beter.
Sorry vir die hi-jack

Die Tenere het vir my ligter gevoel. Die KLR se pap voor suspensie tel teen hom op hantering

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2013, 07:49:54 am »
As jy dink 'n 660Z is nie capable offroad nie het jy nog nie saam met Jules gery nie. Maar kom ons wees eerlik, jy praat uit jou hol uit as jy die 660 en die 690 in die selfde sin noem  :deal:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:50:43 am by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #73 on: June 18, 2013, 08:03:28 am »
As jy dink 'n 660Z is nie capable offroad nie het jy nog nie saam met Jules gery nie. Maar kom ons wees eerlik, jy praat uit jou hol uit as jy die 660 en die 690 in die selfde sin noem  :deal:

Jy's 'n lekker skoorgat, maar die keer stem ek saam met jou.  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #74 on: June 18, 2013, 08:07:51 am »
The bike you own will always be the best one  
I call my 1150 a pig. If someone else would tell me that I ride a heavy, ugly looking pig, I also might take it the wrong way, even if it's true.
Let's just call the XTZ660 Ten one of the best single cylinder DS bikes ever made. Which it is really.

Of course everyone thinks their bike is the best!  That's as it should be.

Personally I think this is the best single cylinder DS bike ever made  :thumleft:

But that's just my opinion.  I wont get upset if other people don't agree.  :biggrin:

Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2013, 08:19:07 am »
Die XT660Z is die beste 660 op die mark. Kaptein Zef het gepraat ;D
I used to be called Captain Slow but then i got Zef

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2013, 05:33:38 pm »
I feel that SideTrack should have made mention of his intended use for the bike.

We do technical DS rides:
He joined me on our recent ride (3x 690's, 1x 525, 2x450's)
The ride was not planned to be particularly technical but the foreman of the farm that we were supposed to traverse, had his panties in a bunch and we had to take an alternative hardcore 4x4 route.

I have been riding technical terrain for a long time and in general, used to lead the technical hardcore rock routes like Butch'es Rock in dewildt etc. so I'm rather capable.
Upon seeing the rock faced entrance to the 4x4 route and riding one of the 450's in the group, I found myself having to summon up some courage.. next attraction, the dudes on the 690's simply just cruised up the thing! I could feel my jaw dropping.
The route was over a kilometer long, stretching into the mountains and I was astounded by the 690's prowess.

What I think Sidetrack meant was that the 660Z doesn't appear to be in the same league as the 690 in terms of its technical abilities and therefore feels disappointed by it.

I cannot image muscling a 180Kg bike up that hill and to its defense, it shouldn't be!
But if factors outside of your control demand that you take the technical alternative, it would be kak having to turn around due to the fact that you are riding the "wrong" bike  
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 07:30:27 pm by swart skaap »

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Grey hound
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2013, 06:46:39 pm »
I feel that SideTrack should have made mention of his intended use for the bike.

The ride was not planned to be particularly technical but the foreman of the farm that we were supposed to traverse, had his panties in a bunch and we had to take an alternative hardcore 4x4 route.

I have been riding technical terrain for a long time and in general, used to lead the technical hardcore rock routes like Butch'es Rock in dewildt etc. so I'm rather capable.
Upon seeing the rock faced entrance to the 4x4 route and riding one of the 450's in the group, I found myself having to summon up some courage.. next attraction, the dudes on the 690's simply just cruised up the thing! I could feel my jaw dropping.
The route was over a kilometer long, stretching into the mountains and I was astounded by the 690's prowess.

What I think Sidetrack meant was that the 660Z doesn't appear to be in the same league as the 690 in terms of its technical abilities and therefore feels disappointed by it.

I cannot image muscling a 180Kg bike up that hill and to its defense, it shouldn't be!
But if factor outside your control demands a that you take the technical alternative, it would be kak having to turn around due to the fact that you are riding the "wrong" bike  

The proof is in the pudding  :deal: You have to taste it  ;D

But having read sidetracks Ride Reports over the years I'll be very surprised if he chooses to ride a 660Z  :thumleft:

Looks like I choose the bikes he dislikes. Years ago he mentioned how underpowered etc the KLE was, and now the 660. I wonder what he will dislike next, that would be my next bike according to the pattern  ;D
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2013, 07:27:34 pm »

But if factor outside your control demands a that you take the technical alternative, it would be kak having to turn around due to the fact that you are riding the "wrong" bike 

The proof is in the pudding  :deal: You have to taste it  ;D

But having read sidetracks Ride Reports over the years I'll be very surprised if he chooses to ride a 660Z  :thumleft:

Looks like I choose the bikes he dislikes. Years ago he mentioned how underpowered etc the KLE was, and now the 660. I wonder what he will dislike next, that would be my next bike according to the pattern  ;D
Have you ridden a 690 then?

Somehow, these 650cc discussions always loop back to the 690 vs X vs Y vs Z comparisons. After our last ride, I can truly see why those bikes are the benchmark for guys like Sidetrack and myself. Too bad they are so expensive and look mundane in standard trim.

IMHO, the best solution is probably a low mileage TE610, simply because the XR600R's all have too high mileage and need rebuilds.

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreaminí ....
« Reply #79 on: June 18, 2013, 08:21:14 pm »
The bike you own will always be the best one  

Of course everyone thinks their bike is the best!  That's as it should be.

Personally I think this is the best single cylinder DS bike ever made  :thumleft:

But that's just my opinion.  I wont get upset if other people don't agree.  :biggrin:

I do agree but the TE could have been so much better if Husqvarna just fixed a couple of small issues to start with. The platform and idea behind it is brilliant though. I'm in the process of buying back my 610.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 08:29:14 pm by sidetrack »
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien