Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: NO MORE KLR, DR & XR in SOUTH AFRICA  (Read 13426 times)

Offline McSack

• Hairy-arsed throttle-slinging
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: NO MORE KLR, DR & XR in SOUTH AFRICA
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2013, 09:39:11 pm »
Honestly, given the current global environment meltdown, all efforts to reduce emissions helps.

The XR is what? 20 year old tech?
If Honda is not prepared to update the thing by reducing its emissions and adding EFI to reduce its consumption, it shouldn't be allowed to sell it.
Ag fsk man ... cows contribute more to global warming than all the bikes, cars , trucks and busses put together.
Let's rather just eat more beef
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2013, 10:14:07 pm »
Honestly, given the current global environment meltdown, all efforts to reduce emissions helps.

If Honda is not prepared to update the thing by reducing its emissions and adding EFI to reduce its consumption, it shouldn't be allowed to sell it.
Ag fsk man ... cows contribute more to global warming than all the bikes, cars , trucks and busses put together.
True, let's all just drive 6 litre pickup trucks.

P.S. your statement is taken out of context and ultimately invalid-- if you want to know why, here's a video of a comprehensive study, talked about during TED.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vpTHi7O66pI&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vpTHi7O66pI&amp;feature=share</a>
 :thumleft:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:21:51 pm by swart skaap »

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline Trippple XC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2013, 03:05:17 am »
Time to move on and leave all the old technology behind my 2 c worth.
Big deal bring in a whole bunch of old tech bikes before cut off date and in a year we will have Thread about how Kak the support is because we cannot get spares from the agents for our one year old new bike sporting twenty year old technology  :biggrin:
"Ride on ' Rough-shod if need be,smooth shod if that will do,but ride on 'Ride over all obstacles,and win the race'"- Charles Dickens

Offline Chairman Meow

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2013, 06:37:01 am »
TrippleXC.... -, on the other hand I would be surprised to see some of these high tech parts be available for some bikes in even a decade from now.
There is also a differance between old tech en simple tech, the latter being more accurate when it come to these type of bikes., which of course is what makes them appealing in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 06:38:07 am by Chairman Meow »

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2013, 06:58:30 am »
Probably find it is some bullshit legislation that was copied and pasted from one of the european countries  ::)

Agreed.

100%
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2013, 08:40:55 am »

P.S. your statement is taken out of context and ultimately invalid-- if you want to know why, here's a video of a comprehensive study, talked about during TED.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/vpTHi7O66pI&amp;feature=share" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/vpTHi7O66pI&amp;feature=share</a>
Together with recent studies that show that increased CO2 promotes plant growth we should be using his advice and herd the animals with bikes not horses. >:D

We also have speculated on the cause of Sahelian greening, suggesting that the aerial fertilization effect of the ongoing rise in the air's CO2 content, which greatly enhances vegetative productivity, and its anti-transpiration effect, which enhances plant water-use efficiency and enables plants to grow in areas that were once too dry to sustain them, may be playing prominent roles [see our reviews of Prince et al. (1998) and Nicholson et al. (1998)].  Be that as it may, whatever the reason for the greening of the Sahel over the past quarter-century, it is clear that in spite of what the world's climate alarmists claim were concomitant unprecedented increases in the "twin evils" of anthropogenic CO2 emissions and global warming, the Sahel experienced an increase in vegetative prowess that was truly, as Olsson et al. write, "remarkable."
http://www.co2science.org/articles/V9/N2/EDIT.php

Just one of many references found on the inter webs regarding the good CO2 has on plant life... :sip:
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:16:07 am by RobC »

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2013, 10:03:47 am »
hahah

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline lecap

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2013, 10:13:59 am »
If they pull that through I'll shelf a lifetime supply of parts to rebuild my KLR's and DR's - A few piston kits and maybe a crankcase and a set of gear shafts & a clutch will last me until my dispatch. Still cheaper than buying a R100,000+ two wheeled computer gimmick.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2013, 10:16:51 am »
If they pull that through I'll shelf a lifetime supply of parts to rebuild my KLR's and DR's - A few piston kits and maybe a crankcase and a set of gear shafts & a clutch will last me until my dispatch. Still cheaper than buying a R100,000+ two wheeled computer gimmick.
My idea too...  :thumleft:

Offline wiledog_X

« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2013, 11:30:50 am »

agreed.
"What happen!!? Someone set up us the bomb!! We get signal. All your base are belong to us!!!"

Offline IDR

• <insert bias disclaimer here>
  • Administrator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2013, 12:45:38 pm »
Guys I really think that this has nothing to do with emissions.

As pointed out above by Cracker, the KLR complies with US emission control standards and it is still going to be imported into the US.

California has very strict emission controls, most of the other states it's a free for all as far as motorcycles are concerned.

Which is also why you get 2 versions of (for example) a KLR - a California-specific model, and a 49-state model.
The three things you need to fix anything in the universe: duct tape, WD-40 and a hammer.  If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.  If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40.  Otherwise use the hammer.

Offline McSack

• Race Dog
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2013, 04:19:26 pm »

Boet it you want to talk about validity and context at least post results of studies that are  a bit more current and haven't been largely poked full of holes.  :P
First of all the research and trials that Savory bases all his claims on was done some 40 years ago ... we know a bit more and things have moved on a bit since then
Secondly ... some facts about those trials that Savory conveniently forgets to mention in his dramatic speech:
Cattle that grazed according to Savory’s method needed expensive supplemental feed . They also became stressed and fatigued, and lost enough weight to compromise the profitability of their meat.
And even though Savory’s Grazing Trials took place during a period of freakishly high rainfall, with rates exceeding the average by 24 percent overall, the authors of a review contend that Savory’s method “failed to produce the marked improvement in grass cover claimed from its application.” The authors of the overview concluded exactly what mainstream ecologists have been concluding for 40 years: “No grazing system has yet shown the capacity to overcome the long-term effects of overstocking and/or drought on vegetation productivity.”
Thirdly there is a fairly serious amount of methane production that’s associated with cattle husbandry (yes cow farts). One cow contributes more to global warming in a year than my fugly does ... imagine what a whole field of the fskers will do ... I say eat them all before they destroy our planet ;)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:21:27 pm by McSack »
~ Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself ~

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2013, 04:32:54 pm »
Not so fast, "Boet"
Next time, read the rest of the debate on your Google'd page.

No where does Savory, say that manufacturing feed, exterminating predators, building fences, or manipulating genes would need to be done at all. In fact Savory states that ONLY when the land is completely bare is it necessary at first to feed the animals.

Lets choose the pessimistic word of an associate Professor of history over that of a Biologist.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 04:43:42 pm by swart skaap »

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Online RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 04:36:36 pm »
Not so fast, "Boet"

No where does Savory, say that manufacturing feed, exterminating predators, building fences, or manipulating genes would need to be done at all. In fact Savory states that ONLY when the land is completely bare is it necessary at first to feed the animals.

Kyk na die prentjies; die bewyse le daar.
plus die cowfarts bemes die plante met CO2... ::)

Offline McSack

• Race Dog
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2013, 04:49:17 pm »
Not so fast, "Boet"

Lets choose the pessimistic word of an associate Professor of history over that of a Biologist.
Hmmm... don't see your quote in my googled webpage ... maybe I selected a different "Savory is talking kuk" link :) ... I was looking for peer review regarding what he claimed .
Here's another classic from Savory when confronted with the failure of his method in scientific trials :
 “You’ll find the scientific method never discovers anything. Observant, creative people make discoveries.”

[edit ... oh wait ... I found it :0
It’s difficult to imagine how a human-managed ecosystem such as Savory’s—dependent on manipulating the genetics of livestock, building sturdy fences, manufacturing supplemental feed, and exterminating predators—is more representative of “nature’s complexity” than a healthy desert full of organisms that have co-evolved over millennia.
sorry SS ]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 05:11:31 pm by McSack »

Offline McSack

• Race Dog
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2013, 05:10:46 pm »
... anyway , we digress. I love riding my KLR and it will be a sad day if government legislative  BS takes arguably the 3 best-bang-for-your-buck DS bikes out of the market

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Race Dog
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2013, 06:51:57 pm »
I was looking for peer review regarding what he claimed .
Did you find one?

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2013, 06:53:53 pm »
... anyway , we digress. I love riding my KLR and it will be a sad day if government legislative  BS takes arguably the 3 best-bang-for-your-buck DS bikes out of the market

Well it's happening, so best get used to it
How can I be lost if I've got nowhere to go?

Offline lecap

« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2013, 09:05:00 am »
Guys I really think that this has nothing to do with emissions.

As pointed out above by Cracker, the KLR complies with US emission control standards and it is still going to be imported into the US.

California has very strict emission controls, most of the other states it's a free for all as far as motorcycles are concerned.

Which is also why you get 2 versions of (for example) a KLR - a California-specific model, and a 49-state model.

Cali spec is due to them having restrictions to limit hydrocarbon emissions from the tank (outgassing of fuel).
Pretty much rubbish since the amounts of hydrocarbons released from your tank are fairly minimal during normal operation & storage.
Different story with recirculating fumes from the tank during filling.

That's why no one really ever bothered to adopt the Cali model and charcoal canister shite whilst tanker trucks worldwide (afaik) and individual fuel pumps at filling stations almost worldwide except in Mzansi ::) recirculate the fumes from the tanks whilst filling.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Online Wolzak

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
  • Previously Offshore
End of Road for XR 650, KLR 650, DR 650?
« Reply #59 on: August 16, 2013, 10:33:43 am »
I read this in this Month's ABR Automotive Business review:
SA Motorcycle Importers have until December 2013 to fall in line the Auto Industry and comply with UNECE, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe regulatory, technical and safety standards.
The three abovementioned Bikes do not meet the standards and it will be impossible to Import them after the Cut off Date. A lot of Chinese Imports also fall into this Category.
Legislation was passed in 2011 and Stakeholders had 2 Years to get their Ducks in a Row.
Article by Gavin Foster.
This is sad news indeed.
Current Bikes
KTM 790 R Rally
Harley Davidson Deuce
Aprilia Moto 65