2013 Tatts Finke Desert Race

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveD

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
From a GHR Honda press release:

The Queens long weekend had desert racers from all over Australia once again converge on the red centre town of Alice Springs for the Finke Desert Race.
The event itself is recognised as the single biggest tourism event in the Northern Territory. For those offroad fans and competitors it is a must do on many peoples bucket list. The event has live radio coverage on ABC national radio, also live webcasts and tracking for those at home. Every shop in town is part of this event with around 20,000 people camping along the track.

Approximately 450 bikes and quads along with 100 off road cars, buggies and trucks descended on Alice Springs for the 38th running of the iconic event.

Friday night was scrutineering with a big crowd enjoying the meet and greet with entrants and a chance for the kids to get their autographs.

Saturday had everyone out at the start finish area for prologue where another big crowd was in attendance.

GHR Honda rider Jacob Smith on his CRF450R won the prologue on Saturday and was joined by his brother Todd (both from Condobolin NSW) on the front row. 

Sunday 11.30 am had the two riders start off from the front row to do battle all the way to Finke 228km south.  Jacob got the jump on Todd early however Todd kept him in sight and passed him around the first fuel stop. Todd slowly put together a lead of 2 minutes 41 seconds by the time he arrived in the Finke township.

Monday had all competitors now facing north to head back to Alice Springs.

The first 20 riders start on corrected time. That is Todd started first again at 11.30am while Jacob had to sit on the start line for 2 minutes 41 seconds until he could take off. This is done so that on the way home the top 20 know if they pass someone, then that is a position gained. Riders generally stop twice for fuel on the way down and then on the way home.  Fuel stops are done with dry break fuelers, new goggles, and a gel shot for energy.

By the end of the iconic race Todd had mastered the track and beaten his own brother to take out the title. Todd Smith commented "Jacob was on fire early in the race and helped pull me along. I felt good all weekend, the bike handled better and was a bit quicker than before, Simon had done a great job in testing, the refuel crews were all spot on and was good to have a GHR Honda 1 - 2 with my brother and best mate beside me."

For Jacob it was a case of almost but not quite "I felt good in the prologue and early on but then probably tired myself out a bit, all weekend the bike and crew were faultless and I don't like coming second, but if it is going to be to anyone then I am happy for Todd.  It is pretty special again being on the podium together, a big thanks to Simon, Pete, Jake and Glenn along with Vroomy and his crew and all the team sponsors."

[flash=480,385]https://www.youtube.com/v/NDWfmIUF7BA[/flash]

[flash=480,385]https://www.youtube.com/v/Iy_lLPtAGDE[/flash]