Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tie down when bike is trailored ( Stoetie style)  (Read 4089 times)

Offline Oshkosh

Re: Tie down when bike is trailored ( Stoetie style)
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 03:15:23 pm »
My Set Up
I only put the Front Straps on as a Safety Precaution.  :thumleft:

Where can I get the strap that goes over the back wheel?

Myne paar jaar terug by FullT gekoop.

Dankie, sal gaan loer as ek weer in daai wereld is :thumleft:

Sorry NK only saw your Query today ( a whole year late :BangHead: ).
I bought it from these guys.  :thumleft:

No worries, I actually made the post earlier this week...... Thanks for the info!

Tied mine on front axle, but will need something to secure back!

I see there are a number of Eye bolts next to the rail at the back wheel you could also run a strap over the back tyre just to stop it bouncing.
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Online Noneking

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2015, 03:21:33 pm »
My Set Up
I only put the Front Straps on as a Safety Precaution.  :thumleft:

Where can I get the strap that goes over the back wheel?

Myne paar jaar terug by FullT gekoop.

Dankie, sal gaan loer as ek weer in daai wereld is :thumleft:

Sorry NK only saw your Query today ( a whole year late :BangHead: ).
I bought it from these guys.  :thumleft:

No worries, I actually made the post earlier this week...... Thanks for the info!

I see there are a number of Eye bolts next to the rail at the back wheel you could also run a strap over the back tyre just to stop it bouncing.

Will try thank you!
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 03:43:34 pm »

That looks a lot higher than the front axle? On the image it also looks like it is connected to the crashbars? Hope not as they will break easily.
If you used the front 'forks' (or whatever you call them on the bmw) take note that the straps might cause marks. Use something soft under them.
At least that nice trailer helps a lot to keep the bike upright in the front.

With that exhaust in the way you are going to struggle with a proper angle on the rear wheel straps.  I normally kept the rear down and upright with straps to the subframe as in the image.
A wide enough angle on the straps and connected high up on the bike means low tension in the straps.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 03:48:48 pm »
Our forum member ozosborne sell these:

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 03:52:20 pm »

That looks a lot higher than the front axle? On the image it also looks like it is connected to the crashbars? Hope not as they will break easily.
If you used the front 'forks' (or whatever you call them on the bmw) take note that the straps might cause marks. Use something soft under them.

With that exhaust in the way you are going to struggle with a proper angle on the rear wheel straps.  I normally kept the rear down and upright with straps to the subframe as in the image.
A wide enough angle on the straps and connected high up on the bike means low tension in the straps.

You will end up compressing the rear suspension going that route which you do not want to do!
NK you also get a nylon strap similar to my rear set up will check if I can find the supplier.
I put my front straps through the bottom triple clamps with a cloth to prevent rubbing.

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2015, 03:53:56 pm »
Our forum member ozosborne sell these:

SM you beat me to it. :thumleft: :biggrin:

Online Noneking

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2015, 05:24:27 pm »
SM, see now photo taken before I attached at axle. Was worried about damage to "forks".

Thanks guys, will give Oz a go
2007 KTM 990 S
2019 KTM 790 R

NONEKING'S RIDE REPORTS - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=226099.0

Offline gser

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Gelukkig nog nie hard GeSloeg nie
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2015, 06:30:22 pm »

My Take on

Those rear strapped points on the sharp edges will scuff through, move it to the eye bolts to the rear or get soft straps the same as the front once with clip- type metal latches to go to the base of the trailer eye bolts., i.e. metal to metal at the lash/hook-up/anchor-point.

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

Tie down when bike is trailored ( Stoetie style)
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2015, 08:47:50 pm »

You will end up compressing the rear suspension going that route which you do not want to do!

Must admit that I am not very fond of compressing suspension myself. But I still ask why not do it?

On the Ktm front you have no other option than compressing the suspension. Adding straps to the rear makes it much more stable. I normally just sit on the seat and pull the straps tight and get off. How is that much different to riding my bike the whole day with luggage an maybe even pinion?

Edit:  for me the rear straps are there for a bit of safety and to reduce a bit of the forces on the front straps.

A spring is a spring and if you don't over stress it the spring will just bounce back. A shock only have force while in motion. If stable there are no forces. Do the modern bmw bikes have something else that can get damaged?

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2015, 09:12:26 pm »
SM, see now photo taken before I attached at axle. Was worried about damage to "forks".

Thanks guys, will give Oz a go

Did you post a picture somewhere?

Don't know whether it is right or wrong but when my bike is fastened to the trailer I take it by the handlebars or rear rack and rock it from side to side. It should rock the whole trailer with it. If the trailer rocks less than the bike then I feel the tie down has too much play and/or the forces in the straps are too high.