Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: R1200 GS Low "Suspension" Spec - Advice Please  (Read 4557 times)

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
R1200 GS Low "Suspension" Spec - Advice Please
« on: June 19, 2013, 10:14:12 pm »
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice here regarding the so-called "Low Spec" of the GS range.....specifically the 2008 model (f/lift) that I have recently bought.

As most of you guys might already know (if not...then you can read about it here - http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=126842.0 ) that I had recently written-off my 2005 GS on a recent. The replacement bike I got was a 2008 GS. I had taken the bike for a test ride before I bought it & @ the time everything seemed normal & fine. I had transferred all my luggage over to the new bike & rode it back down to CT.

This 2008 GS has ESA, whereas my 2005 GS had normal manual SA. I had noticed while en-route back to CT, that the bike definitely seemed to have a lot softer suspension & also the ground clearance seemed far lower too. I honestly did not really notice this feeling/feedback when I took the bike for a test ride.....but having travelled basically the same roads/conditions/weight/luggage as I had done just a few days earlier on my old bike.....I then only really picked this up.

I had been playing around with the different ESA settings all the way home.....but just could honestly NOT be convinced that any of it made any difference. Even now back home & having commuted to & from work everyday, even w.r.t. cornering......this bike most definitely seems quite a bit lower.

I have taken the bike to Atlantic BMW & briefly enquired w.r.t. this so-called "Low Spec" of the GS range.....& they surprisingly could not really tell me too much. So I am still not too much wiser w.r.t. this  :patch: :patch:

All I know is that it is concerning me that if it is a "Low Spec" bike.....is it possible to make it a "normal Spec".....& if how/how much/options/etc/etc/etc..... is what I would love to know. Is it even worth it to go to all that hassle or is it just more practical to sell it & buy another "Normal Spec" GS???

The fact is that having just bought the bike & generally quite happy with it.....what are sensible options here???

Thank for any info/advice/options you guys might have..... So lets hear please??
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 01:24:10 pm by Bring It On »
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
Re: R1200 GS Low Spec - Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »
Not sure if this might help...but here is one of the photos I took of the bike (with all my luggage on) on my way back to CT.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:55:41 pm »
Does low spec mean it has less features, or less ground clearance???
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Roarman

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 11:40:01 pm »
I assume ride height.
Shaun, surely Anton and the guys there at Atlantic should know a thing or two about the suspension setup.
When I set my ESA I can feel the ride height change. Also i can feel the difference in the ride if I change between comf, norm, sport. Hopefully I'm not imagining it. I have 2008 as well. You welcome to check my bike for differences to yours.
Rory

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 06:10:21 am »
Is it not just a low seat?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 06:45:05 am »
When the bike is running and you change the setting from "1-helmet" to "high-mountain" the icons should flash while the settings are changing. If you are sitting on the bike there should be a noticeable change in the bike height as it effectively lengthens the stroke on the shocks. you should get about a 20mm lift. Also makes it easier to get onto the centre stand when loaded, but increases the lean-angle on the side-stand too! I have a GSA, but I will try and take a couple of pics tonight (too damn cold to ride a bike to work in winter here :biggrin:)
The pre-load settings (soft, medium & hard/sport) are harder to feel - until you ride a road with undulations where the suspension is actually working fairly slowly - ride the same piece of road with the different pre-loads and you should be able to feel it. Also do the same test on "Low-mountain" on a gravel road - you can certainly feel the difference!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Ratt

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 07:54:51 am »
The stance looks about right to me, but I'm no expert.

Why is the robot on the ground though?
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline m0lt3n

• Ervare noob
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 12:24:23 pm »
Ive also got a 2008 but new spec (led indicators)
Remember you must stand still to do settings changes. On mine...going from mountainous to single up you can visually see the bike lowering, the front shock will lower suddenly and clearly, twice. If yours doesnt then i am guessing your esa does not work or exist
Dooie visse gaan saam met die stroom...

Offline BrandsiekBrak

• Formerly known as Lycan
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:37:20 pm »
I have taken a look at some photos of my bike fully loaded, and tried to find one at the same angle as yours. Seems as though you bike is slightly lower than mine. Even though mine is the full spec 2009 Adventure, I don't see why the suspension should be any different.

Mine also picks up/drops markably when i change the suspention setings, and the dampening differences are also felt on roads that make it work

This being said, some where on the forum I read that the ESA might build up a memory if left in the same setting permanently. Then it doesn't make the marked height adjustment. Solution was given to take it to BMW and have the ESA reset. Don't however know how true this is, has never happened to me. Then however, I play with the setting a lot
If you are packed for adventure, you can never be lost or late

Previously know as Lycan after getting bitten...
but then became infected

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 12:39:19 pm »
I have taken a look at some photos of my bike fully loaded, and tried to find one at the same angle as yours. Seems as though you bike is slightly lower than mine. Even though mine is the full spec 2009 Adventure, I don't see why the suspension should be any different.

The GSA is taller than the GS by some 20mm afaik? My 2010 GSA is certainly taller than my mates 2009 GS.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline Ratt

• Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • An experiment in Artificial Stupidity...
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 01:15:49 pm »
So all things considered, going to the dealer to reset and check it sounds like the best choice.

So why is the robot (traffic light vir die britte) on the ground?
I'm not saying kill stupid people, I'm saying, remove the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

**072 596 1303 in Knysna if you have troubles**

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 01:25:17 pm »
Does low spec mean it has less features, or less ground clearance???

Yes...Low "Suspension" Spec. :thumleft:

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 01:28:00 pm »
I assume ride height.
Shaun, surely Anton and the guys there at Atlantic should know a thing or two about the suspension setup.
When I set my ESA I can feel the ride height change. Also i can feel the difference in the ride if I change between comf, norm, sport. Hopefully I'm not imagining it. I have 2008 as well. You welcome to check my bike for differences to yours.

After explaining to them & even having one of their guys from the back to come out & look/sit of the bike.....who mearly told me that it "Might Probably" be a "Low Spec" model. No info or real solutions of how I can "change/alter/etc" the bike.....as I am requesting here.

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 01:30:01 pm »
Is it not just a low seat?

Nope..... ;D ;D I have it set on the high setting. So was my previous bike & like I have said earlier.....this bike most definatley feels both "lower & softer"....NOT a nice feel/feedback. :patch: ;)

Offline capeklr

Re: R1200 GS Low "Suspension" Spec - Advice Please
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 01:32:10 pm »
With the engine running, but standing still if you change the settings to high mountain you should feel the bike get taller. If this does not happen there might be a problem with the system. A friends GSA would get so tall that his feet barley reached the ground on the big mountain settings.

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 01:33:05 pm »
When the bike is running and you change the setting from "1-helmet" to "high-mountain" the icons should flash while the settings are changing. If you are sitting on the bike there should be a noticeable change in the bike height as it effectively lengthens the stroke on the shocks. you should get about a 20mm lift. Also makes it easier to get onto the centre stand when loaded, but increases the lean-angle on the side-stand too! I have a GSA, but I will try and take a couple of pics tonight (too damn cold to ride a bike to work in winter here :biggrin:)
The pre-load settings (soft, medium & hard/sport) are harder to feel - until you ride a road with undulations where the suspension is actually working fairly slowly - ride the same piece of road with the different pre-loads and you should be able to feel it. Also do the same test on "Low-mountain" on a gravel road - you can certainly feel the difference!

I promise you.... I have tried every possible option I have been told/advised/read...... standing still, moving, 1 mountain, 2 mountains, soft, sport, etc, etc, etc.....
Everything make no difference to either the hight or stifness. >:( >:(

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 01:35:52 pm »
I assume ride height.

Thanks for that offer.... I would like to take you up on it if I may. Can you perhaps PM me your address & cell number & also let me know when it would suite you for me pop around to check it out.

Offline capeklr

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 01:36:26 pm »

Then that system is not working properly.

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
Re: R1200 GS Low "Suspension" Spec - Advice Please
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 01:37:59 pm »
With the engine running, but standing still if you change the settings to high mountain you should feel the bike get taller. If this does not happen there might be a problem with the system. A friends GSA would get so tall that his feet barley reached the ground on the big mountain settings.

Yes.... I have tried all the various settings with the bike running.....but still nothing.

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 01:43:26 pm »

Then that system is not working properly.

OK then....perhaps the next question might be....where besides BMW can I get it checked out.....cause the guys out @ Atlantic could not really help me much w.r.t. this when I was there. Not to speak bad about them in any way.....but I honestly left there not really feeling too confident that they knew what to do or even how to fix it or tend to my query.... Donfords perhaps???