Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: R1200 GS Low "Suspension" Spec - Advice Please  (Read 4553 times)

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S3354.712 E01828.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
Re: R1200 GS Low "Suspension" Spec - Advice Please
« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2013, 02:30:03 pm »
Hi Shaun - why not pop around to Shane Hoskins, at Yamaha Paarden Eiland, and ask HIS views, since he has a lot of experience with the 1200 GS/A's, and can surely advise you?

PS: have you double-checked the rear shock IS O.E.M.?

PPS: did you knock the traffic light down?  ::)

Cheers
Chris

Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S3354.712 E01828.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S3354.712 E01828.208

Offline TheBear

« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2013, 02:44:15 pm »
ESA Pre-Load:  Bike needs to idle with nobody on it to change between the 5 settings.

Do you know if this changed for the 2010 models? Mine changes as long as the bike is stationary - with me sitting on it I mean?

Interested to know what the outcome is....

You can sit on it.  The manual recommends that you don't.
#33 #BRADICAL!

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2013, 04:09:50 pm »
Hi Shaun - why not pop around to Shane Hoskins, at Yamaha Paarden Eiland, and ask HIS views, since he has a lot of experience with the 1200 GS/A's, and can surely advise you?

PS: have you double-checked the rear shock IS O.E.M.?

PPS: did you knock the traffic light down?  ::)

Cheers
Chris

Thanks Chris for that suggestion & info. Eisbein also suggested that I pop around. I will make a plan to pop around asap next week.
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2013, 06:13:16 pm »
ESA Pre-Load:  Bike needs to idle with nobody on it to change between the 5 settings.

Do you know if this changed for the 2010 models? Mine changes as long as the bike is stationary - with me sitting on it I mean?

Try the Kama Sutra  >:D
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2  Husky 701R  Husky  TE610E  BMW G450X  KTM 250XCW  Yamaha YZ250X BMW R100S YAMAHA BWS 

:ricky:

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2013, 06:17:16 pm »

Try the Kama Sutra  >:D

:spitcoffee: :laughing4: :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer: Good one.....never thought of that :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2013, 11:58:27 am »
That "low spec" suspension variation is BS from someone who should be selling/servicing furniture by the sounds of it.
There is only one spec of ESA available (well two now that the LC is out)
I have recently had a spate of 2008 models in for shock replacement because they have ceased working. If your bike is showing the change on the dashboard and there is nothing much happening in terms of height adjustment then it sounds like the system is not alerting the two pre-load motors to change the heights. Take it to a BMW dealer and get them to put it on the GT1 and that might be able to clear the fault fairly cheaply. If the motors are physically working then it sounds like it time to replace the shocks which is where I come in.

Take it to Shaun at Yamaha in Paarden Eiland and he can give you valued advice.

If you want a quote on the Wilbers WESA suspension solution that works with the BMW ESA system please give me a shout on
Denver@blingkingbikes.co.za or  0824508878
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!
Agents for: HYPERPRO, BiTUBO, OHLINS, RACE-TECH, K-TECH

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2013, 12:13:15 pm »
Thanks a lot Denver for that info & advice :thumleft: :thumleft: I will most definitely be making a plan to get the bike out to Yamaha in P/Eiland ASAP next week. It sure does seem that I just might be one of those "Unlucky Okes" that has one of the bikes that falls into that bracket of, as you nicely put...."spate of 2008 models " :eek7:

The bottom line is that it is not working correct & it needs to get fixed.

Thanks again to everyone for your valued comments, advice & info :thumleft: :thumleft: Muchly appreciated. Another worrying factor for me which is starting to get a bit bigger & bigger......is the question of how much this whole exercise is probably gonna end up costing me :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:15:46 pm by Bring It On »

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 10:20:05 pm »
Just thought I'd let you guys know that I managed to pop around to Shane (Helderberg Yamaha P/Eisland) today briefly, who went through the bike's electronics & ECU settings on the PC, also checked out both front & rear shocks, played around with the settings & finally got he front shock to "activate" :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

The rear shock however still is NOT "playing along or coming to the party" >:( >:( Shane is gonna take the rear shock out next week to get to the motor & check it out.....then hopefully be able to do his magic & get the damn thing to work like it should.

Till next week.....pleas guys.....hold all thumbs that when I give report back after getting my bike back....that it'll be with GOOD news. ;)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 09:52:20 pm by Bring It On »

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 10:47:55 pm »
Shaun should bmw upington not assist you seeing that you bought it like that from them? dont they test esa when they trade a bike?
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 10:56:19 pm »
Shaun should bmw upington not assist you seeing that you bought it like that from them? dont they test esa when they trade a bike?

They purely assisted me in sourcing the bike & with the purchase process, but the sale was a "private sale" between me & the owner. I do honestly feel that the BMW Dealer did assist me greatly while I was up there & do honestly feel that they are not liable for this.

So far as far as I can understand the way that Shane explained to me....is that this fault hopefully is simply from the shock being set almost permanently in/on one single lower setting for a very very long time & has thus caused it to seize up. This is what I am hoping for it to be....& not that the entire shock is totally damaged. Hence the reason that Shane will take it out & strip it next week to check it out properly.

Offline buzzlightyear

• Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 10:57:41 pm »
Understood :thumleft: good luck!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 11:01:16 pm »
Understood :thumleft: good luck!

;) :thumleft: Thanks Buddy..... I really am just hoping & praying that this issue can be resolved & sorted out ASAP & most importantly...... as Cheaply as possible.  ;) ??? ??? ;D

Offline capeklr

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 11:01:41 pm »
Some light at the end of the tunnel. :thumleft:
BTW if the shock can not be repaired, Blingking here on the forum sell the Wilbers shock for the ESA system. Much better price.

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 11:06:15 pm »
Some light at the end of the tunnel. :thumleft:
BTW if the shock can not be repaired, Blingking here on the forum sell the Wilbers shock for the ESA system. Much better price.

Thanks a lot for that info :thumleft: Will have to look into that option....should Shane not be able to solve/sort out this issue.

Online Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2013, 12:20:32 am »

They purely assisted me in sourcing the bike & with the purchase process, but the sale was a "private sale" between me & the owner. I do honestly feel that the BMW Dealer did assist me greatly while I was up there & do honestly feel that they are not liable for this.

So far as far as I can understand the way that Shane explained to me....is that this fault hopefully is simply from the shock being set almost permanently in/on one single lower setting for a very very long time & has thus caused it to seize up. This is what I am hoping for it to be....& not that the entire shock is totally damaged. Hence the reason that Shane will take it out & strip it next week to check it out properly.

Is this the 1st time you dealt with Shane ?

Cool oke isn't he ?

The one thing that I appreciated about him when he was still at Atlantic was that he understood that there are budget conscious BMW owners out there without making you feel k@k about it.

More than once he made a plan for me where he could have sold something new by just taking it off a wreck they happened to have there and sending me on my way.
The result was less money on that transaction, but way more future business in the guys that I referred to them.

He knows how to 'maak 'n plan' when its sensible and safe to do so.

Easy to trust a guy like that.

I'm hoping that the rear is something quick and easy as well.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:21:39 am by Eisbein »
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2013, 07:22:27 am »

Is this the 1st time you dealt with Shane ?

Cool oke isn't he ?

The one thing that I appreciated about him when he was still at Atlantic was that he understood that there are budget conscious BMW owners out there without making you feel k@k about it.

More than once he made a plan for me where he could have sold something new by just taking it off a wreck they happened to have there and sending me on my way.
The result was less money on that transaction, but way more future business in the guys that I referred to them.

He knows how to 'maak 'n plan' when its sensible and safe to do so.

Easy to trust a guy like that.

I'm hoping that the rear is something quick and easy as well.

Yea, first time I met him was yesturday when I took the bike around to him. Within the first few minutes of me being there.... I felt totally @ peace about him doing the work on my scooter.

So nice to deal with someone like that who looks out the best interests of a client. Thanks to all, who refered me to him.

Offline GEE-SH

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2013, 08:05:43 am »
I agree with BlingKing, there is no such thing as a lower spec ESA. 

My GSA went in for its 1000 km with the ESA working 100% and came back a lowrider.  BMW reprogrammed the ESA through a ADSL link by the German technicians (that is what they told me) and since then it is working flawless again.
BMW R9T, BMW R100RS, BMW R80, Triumph Bonneville T100, Norton Commando, KTM 300XC-W, Peugeot 50cc Help My Trap, 2003 BMW R1200C

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2013, 10:03:38 pm »
Just thought I'd let you guys know that I managed to pop around to Shane (Helderberg Yamaha P/Eisland) today briefly, who went through the bike's electronics & ECU settings on the PC, also checked out both front & rear shocks, played around with the settings & finally got he front shock to "activate" :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

The rear shock however still is NOT "playing along or coming to the party" >:( >:( Shane is gonna take the rear shock out next week to get to the motor & check it out.....then hopefully be able to do his magic & get the damn thing to work like it should.

Till next week.....pleas guys.....hold all thumbs that when I give report back after getting my bike back....that it'll be with GOOD news. ;)

Just want to report back to say that I got a call from Shane today to say that the suspension on my bike is now once again working correctly & that my bike is ready for me to pick it up. Looking forward to getting the bike back  :thumleft: :thumleft:

Like I said in my previous post....Shane managed to get the front shock to work correctly the other day, but as for the rear shock......well Shane discovered that it was very very low on oil, due to 1 of the O-Ring seal inside having popped, causing oil to leak inside the unit/housing that holds the upper motor....causing it to malfunction & hence U/S.

Bottom line is that it cost me having to have the rear shock totally stripped, all repair/rebuild works to be done & the re-installed back into the bike, recalibrated/reset & finally......by bikes syspension is now working again. A few Rk later.....but still a whole lot cheaper than a brand new shock from BMW. :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks for everyone's advice & assistance w.r.t. this suspension issue. Very glad it's now sorted.

Offline buzzlightyear

• Forum Whore
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2013, 10:09:08 pm »
Good news!

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Shaun
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2013, 10:19:06 pm »
Good news!

I cannot express how happy I am right now. ;) ;D ;D