R1200 GS Low "Suspension" Spec - Advice Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shaun

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW F800GS
Hello all,

I'm looking for some advice here regarding the so-called "Low Spec" of the GS range.....specifically the 2008 model (f/lift) that I have recently bought.

As most of you guys might already know (if not...then you can read about it here - https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=126842.0 ) that I had recently written-off my 2005 GS on a recent. The replacement bike I got was a 2008 GS. I had taken the bike for a test ride before I bought it & @ the time everything seemed normal & fine. I had transferred all my luggage over to the new bike & rode it back down to CT.

This 2008 GS has ESA, whereas my 2005 GS had normal manual SA. I had noticed while en-route back to CT, that the bike definitely seemed to have a lot softer suspension & also the ground clearance seemed far lower too. I honestly did not really notice this feeling/feedback when I took the bike for a test ride.....but having travelled basically the same roads/conditions/weight/luggage as I had done just a few days earlier on my old bike.....I then only really picked this up.

I had been playing around with the different ESA settings all the way home.....but just could honestly NOT be convinced that any of it made any difference. Even now back home & having commuted to & from work everyday, even w.r.t. cornering......this bike most definitely seems quite a bit lower.

I have taken the bike to Atlantic BMW & briefly enquired w.r.t. this so-called "Low Spec" of the GS range.....& they surprisingly could not really tell me too much. So I am still not too much wiser w.r.t. this  :patch: :patch:

All I know is that it is concerning me that if it is a "Low Spec" bike.....is it possible to make it a "normal Spec".....& if how/how much/options/etc/etc/etc..... is what I would love to know. Is it even worth it to go to all that hassle or is it just more practical to sell it & buy another "Normal Spec" GS???

The fact is that having just bought the bike & generally quite happy with it.....what are sensible options here???

Thank for any info/advice/options you guys might have..... So lets hear please??