BMW R1200GS Brake Warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goose

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Some info I came across that I thought might be useful to you chaps!  :thumleft:

If there is a problem with the ABS system, the Brake failure light will keep flashing quickly (4 times per second) and the ABS servos will not start. This is what happened to mine this morning. Whilst the bike still has the residual braking function, i.e. no ABS and no power assist, it is still possible to ride the bike and the rider’s manual says to take the bike immediately to a BMW garage for them to run diagnostic tests.

However, experience has told me that BMW garages charge a lot of money and there is a simple 2 minute test you can run yourself to try to get the ABS re-enabled. Note: this should be done on firm level ground.

-  Switch the bike off.
  -  Flick the brake levers (front and rear) several times.
  -  Switch the bike on.
  -  If servos still do not work:
  -  Switch bike off.
  -  Whilst pushing front lever out & holding rear lever up…
  -  Switch bike on.
  -  If servos still do not work:
  -  Switch bike off.
  -  Check the rear brake light switch by the back level, ensure there isn’t any grit in it.
  -  Switch bike on.

The reason for doing these checks is to ensure the bike doesn’t think the brakes are engaged when the bike is being switched on. As indicated in the rider’s manual:

Warning: Self-diagnosis is not performed unless both brakes levers are in their fully released positions. Only the RESIDUAL BRAKING FUNCTION is available until self-diagnosis is completed.

The mostly likely time for this to occur is during or after off-roading when dirt and grit can become lodged in the switches. However, I have known it to happen for seemingly no reason at all. So before you spend your hard earned money at a BMW garage, run a few simple tests yourself.

article here: https://www.ridearound.net/maintenance/bmw-r1200gs-brake-warning/