Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ400 Advice needed  (Read 887 times)

Offline DavidMorrisXp

Re: DRZ400 Advice needed
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 01:47:25 pm »
so sad..i got my drz and love it ..commute at least once a week on it and while maybe not really a commuter i love braaping round town on it

It is for my son to travel 24km each way to college and if it has any issue, I have to get a van and go pick him up.  Two hours lost in the day.

Much better as a weekend bike or once a week to work as you say.
Check out my YouTube channel, please like & subscribe

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUyKBSrBu-N5oswrTlAhphQ

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2013, 10:28:47 am »
So I bought my son the Dakar 650 and after advertising the DRZ, it looks like there isn't too much interest in these bikes in the Cape

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2013, 09:53:59 am »
DRZ's don't really have a reputation of being bikes which have an easy life. Makes some potential buyers reluctant. Also a tad past its expiry date in its class. Those who want to be hooligans and can afford it go Honda & Yamaha at the moment :-\
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2013, 10:03:28 am »
DRZ's don't really have a reputation of being bikes which have an easy life. Makes some potential buyers reluctant. Also a tad past its expiry date in its class. Those who want to be hooligans and can afford it go Honda & Yamaha at the moment :-\

Cheers, so I will sell the tank separately and take a lower price on the bike it seems

Offline Grumpleton

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Live life like there is no tomorrow, For F#$K sake
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2013, 05:54:33 pm »
I am throwing it out there for some level headed advice.

I had a DRZ400 in 2005 and it was an excellent bike.  Loved it.

It came time to upgrade my son to a bigger bike and a client of mine was selling his DRZ.  I had listened periodically how he had had the motor done and work done on the bike so it seemed like a safe bet for a 2001 model at R22k as what could go wrong?

Well after paying the R22k my son has had three breakdowns and I have spent another R6k.  Today it just stopped running with an electrical fault,  the week earlier it was the FCR39 Carb valve and seal.  I really thought we would be over the hurdles.

I am now at the crossroads on this bike, BMW have offered a trade-in on the bike with electrical fault of less than the purchase price let alone the repair costs.

I really do not want to sell my problems on to another person on Gumtree, so what the hell do I do?  Sell it as spares?  I can see the motor has been done over but now BMW tell me the clutch will need doing as well.

Frustrated

Get
 hold of Garth on 0833269773 he used too be with krog, he did a rewire on my Stator for about R1000. have had no problems with the bike since then
Bikes : 2003 KTM 950 adventure S, 2018 KTM 690 Enduro R , BigBoy Revival 150 for the dorp.

Sun, Wind and Sail and for those colder days, My Bike.
Live for today, because yesterday has gone and tomorrow may never come.

Offline DavidMorrisXp

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2013, 05:57:51 pm »
I am throwing it out there for some level headed advice.

I had a DRZ400 in 2005 and it was an excellent bike.  Loved it.

It came time to upgrade my son to a bigger bike and a client of mine was selling his DRZ.  I had listened periodically how he had had the motor done and work done on the bike so it seemed like a safe bet for a 2001 model at R22k as what could go wrong?

Well after paying the R22k my son has had three breakdowns and I have spent another R6k.  Today it just stopped running with an electrical fault,  the week earlier it was the FCR39 Carb valve and seal.  I really thought we would be over the hurdles.

I am now at the crossroads on this bike, BMW have offered a trade-in on the bike with electrical fault of less than the purchase price let alone the repair costs.

I really do not want to sell my problems on to another person on Gumtree, so what the hell do I do?  Sell it as spares?  I can see the motor has been done over but now BMW tell me the clutch will need doing as well.

Frustrated

Get
 hold of Garth on 0833269773 he used too be with krog, he did a rewire on my Stator for about R1000. have had no problems with the bike since then

Cheers for that, seems to be running okay after all the wires were repaired behind the headlight

Rgds