610 and 690 doing the TAT (RR on AdvRider)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanB

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
Two guys doing the Trans America Trail, one on a 690, the other on a 610.

Excerpt from the 1st post

We spent the first of the last three years deciding on what kind of motorcycles we wanted to get. You all know the story that follows. This one’s too big, this one’s too heavy, this one has too little horse power, this one is just right. So after nearly a year of debating we finally decided on bikes.

This one’s too Big. As much as we looked longingly at the GS1200s, the 580 pounds of big machine was just too much in the end, especially after we started looking at what people were bringing on the TAT. The F800 GS looked kind of good for a couple of months but the price tag and the 450 pound wet weight kept rearing its head in our decision. Thus out went the KTM 9XX bikes also too big too heavy.

This one’s too Small. As much as we wanted to like the WR250F we are looking at 270~290 pounds of guy and gear. So we kept looking at the HP number and sighing alot. But it was a step in the right direction which was more dirt less street.

This one’s is UGH… Yes we looked at the used KLR market, heavy bikes with no power. The only plus side of that was we could just hand the title and keys to the homeless guy on the way to the airport and not feel bad about the financial loss. That being said...

This one's just Right. What we finally decided on were Husqvarna TE 610/630. The power was up there, the weight was right around 300 pounds and it was way more dirt orientated, basically just right for us. So then began the search for the TE bikes. ESP41 ran out and bought the first one he could find, which turned out to be a TE610 that he promptly spread across his garage. I was being a bit more picky and was looking for a Fuel Injection bike, as my WR450F has sworn me off of ever jetting or touching a carbureted bike again.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=896312