A "teerpadmoffie" ride to Harties and Maropeng

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doringboom

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom
Today, Sunday, was one of those days when everything weatherwise was just so perfect that a well-known, and sometimes even boring area gained new attraction for me. At 06:20 this morning I hopped on the bike for a ride to Hartebeespoort dam and from there further onwards to Maropeng. Not even the excuse of my pillion invitee not to go with me anymore could damper the prospects I had for this day. The air was crisp and clear, perfect for riding (and taking a pictures too.) Enough said. Enjoy!

My first stop was on the dam wall. The recent abundant rainfall has resulted in the dam to overflow. A few sluice-gates are open and it makes it worthwile to stroll over the wall to watch the spectacle.

Harties1.jpg

Harties2.jpg

Below the dam wall the Crocodile river gets a welcome boost to its flow.

Harties3.jpg

Harties4.jpg

The curved dam wall.

Harties5.jpg

No, we are not in Paris ;D This, however, is supposed to be a scale replica of the real Parisian one.

Harties6.jpg

A single lane road leads over the dam wall. Traffic lights control the movement of vehicles on both sides.

Harties7.jpg

Slowly, slowly .... careful now with your big Kawa! Signs of the mud monster are everywhere >:D

Harties8.jpg

On the eastern end of the dam wall this black hole in the rock face awaits you!

Harties9.jpg

From the dam wall one can see some of the luxury houses of Kosmos, overlooking the dam from their hillside perch.

Harties10.jpg

After leaving the dam wall, I headed off to the Wimpy at the Engen garage for breakfast. As usual on a Sunday morning, there were a lot of bikes converged here. I took a look around: Bingo, my first (and only) sighting of a bike with a Wilddog sticker on it! (The blue GS.) I, unfortunately, never managed to see the rider.

Harties11.jpg

Here is a gentleman with his Katoom who, I believe, has some dirt road business on his mind for the day 8)

Harties12.jpg

"Kakplaas" :D Could this be a Wilddog's bike?

Harties13.jpg

And this Vara?

Harties14.jpg

And this AT?

Harties15.jpg

The non-motorised 2-wheel squad was also out in full force for the day 8)

Harties16.jpg

After leaving the Wimpy, I took the road over Kommando nek to Kosmos.

Harties17.jpg

A view over the dam.

Harties18.jpg

If you find the price of living in Kosmos (or in any of the many "security villages" in the area) a little bit too high for your liking, you can always move over here, just a hundred or so metres down the street from Kosmos's boom entrance ;D

Harties19.jpg

Who still remembers the Stywelyne restaurant with its big parking area - the main arena for the Sunday breakfast runs for many years? Well, this is how the spot looks like from the street today :-\

Harties20.jpg

Some more of the "security village" houses on the far western end of the dam.

Harties21.jpg

Harties22.jpg

Harties23.jpg

From Hartebeespoort dam I took the road in the direction of Magaliesburg to Maropeng. Maropeng, according to a brochure I got there, is "a fantastic facility offering a fun yet informative family day out with restaurants, market stalls, a world class underground visitor attraction, conferencing and much more! Situated only 50 minutes from Joburg and Pretoria in the Cradle of Humankind, Maropeng tells the story of humankind's origins and its continuing journey into the future, the four elements and the formation of the earth and all its living creatures." The entrance fee for a bike is R5.

Harties24.jpg

The entrance to the Maropeng main building.

Harties25.jpg

For you to "seek answers to your questions, go back in time on the boat ride, explore the interactive exhibits, interpretation panels and audio visual displays ......", you must cough up a further R80 per adult. Yes, there are lots to read about and exibits of old bones, skulls, etc. The display area reminded me very much of a game arcade.

Harties26.jpg

If you pick up one of these telephones you can listen to the sad life story of the dodo, that extinct bird of Madagascar.

Harties27.jpg

This, apparently, is how our early ancestors looked like :eek: Howzit oupa!

Harties28.jpg

Some of the reading there is for you to do.

Harties29.jpg

So, apparently, we are all, you can say, close relatives :-\

Harties30.jpg

When I got back to the parking area, I had this pleasant sighting to pull me right back into the presence from the Stone Age 8)

Harties31.jpg

End of show! I hope you have all enjoyed this short pictorial tour, especially the non-Gautengers and those in far away, freezing countries!

Until next time. Regards ;)

Doringboom