Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: For the KTM fans  (Read 2111 times)

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
For the KTM fans
« on: May 19, 2006, 10:10:39 am »
Friend of mine is going on a business trip next month to Europe. Part of the trip includes a visit to the KTM factory. Will post pictures on his return if you want.
You can always rinse the surface
but the stain will remain.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
For the KTM fans
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 10:50:34 am »
Could you instead of pictures rather post a few bikes? Should be a fun day out at the Katoom factory. Apparently the BMW tour is pretty good as well.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Re: For the KTM fans
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 11:19:26 am »
Quote from: "BlouVark"
Friend of mine is going on a business trip next month to Europe. Part of the trip includes a visit to the KTM factory. Will post pictures on his return if you want.

Do they allow pics to be taken? BMW factory at Rosslyn is VERY strict when it comes to taking any camera's into the factory.

Maybe the guided tours because "access" to areas are pre-determined? :?
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
Re: For the KTM fans
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 11:30:14 am »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"

Do they allow pics to be taken? BMW factory at Rosslyn is VERY strict when it comes to taking any camera's into the factory.

Maybe the guided tours because "access" to areas are pre-determined? :?

It will be a guided tour & I'm jealous as I had a test drive on a 990 Adventure S last week & was blown away. Couldn't believe how light it was compared to my GS. They said they will do a deal for me & nou jeuk my gat.

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• Race Dog
    • http://tigerr.smugmug.com
For the KTM fans
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 07:59:03 pm »
hubba freken hubba yes please!!!

Blouvark, go get em mate. Not as comfy as the GS for sure. But dammit will it thrash it in almost every other department...............

The thing rawks. And if you ever get to ride with KTM guys, I have found that their general offroading ability is much higher than other marques. Maybe cos there is the focus, whereas other marques might be elsewhere.

<sigh> not saying anyone is worse or better than anyone else....

I am often at the back of the pack when it comes to these lads..... :roll:
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Kev

For the KTM fans
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2006, 11:55:00 pm »
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"
And if you ever get to ride with KTM guys, I have found that their general offroading ability is much higher than other marques. Maybe cos there is the focus, whereas other marques might be elsewhere.

Maybe because a large number of the folks buying KTMs do so because of the dirt pedigree, and as dirt riders, seek out the tool that suits their desire? And the desire to be a dirt rider, has pushed them up a notch higher than those who are more "hobby-ists", or like to spend time on  more road oriented riding?  :dontknow:

But then what the hell do I know about fill-los-o-fee and syko-logy?  :shock:

Offline X Banana Boy

For the KTM fans
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 03:49:19 am »
I would love to see a pic report.

Offline michnus

• PikiPiki Overland
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
    • Pikipiki Overland
For the KTM fans
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 08:36:00 pm »
LITO:
The thing rawks. And if you ever get to ride with KTM guys, I have found that their general offroading ability is much higher than other marques. Maybe cos there is the focus, whereas other marques might be elsewhere

That is a very wide generalization and misconception. If you want to experience proper off road ride a enduro bike, and it will also give you a better perception of peoples ability,if you really talking off road Dual sport you are better of with a 640ADV than a 950/990. And riding a more orientated off road bike will generally give you a false sense of ability. Purely because the bike helps with handling difficult terrain with ease.

So yes, it might seems to you that their ability is higher than the riders of other brands

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
For the KTM fans
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 10:23:43 pm »
The thing rawks. And if you ever get to ride with KTM guys, I have found that their general offroading ability is much higher than other marques. Maybe cos there is the focus, whereas other marques might be elsewhere.

All I will say is that maybe it is time to read your signature....

"Every minute is a chance to turn it all around"

:roll:  :roll:
KTM 1190 ADV R

• Race Dog
For the KTM fans
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 11:34:00 am »
Quote from: "funacide"

All I will say is that maybe it is time to read your signature....

"Every minute is a chance to turn it all around"

:roll:  :roll:

Oi, too sensitive.

:roll:

Its just something I noticed Neil, no worries or bad vibes intended.

Go with the BMW club and the skills are fair, go with the KTM crowd, and I for one am way out at the back. Its a gross generalisation and I made sure I mentioned that it was too.

Nothing to turn around.

shark_za

For the KTM fans
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 11:44:22 am »
I recall when you went with the BMW crowd you saw your ass?
Or is that a generalisation?

• Race Dog
For the KTM fans
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 11:50:03 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"
I recall when you went with the BMW crowd you saw your ass?
Or is that a generalisation?

hehe I am clearly getting everyones backs up.

Which BMW crowd Shark.

I went with Leon and this other 1200 GS guy, and then another KTM rider, that day was 560 kays of hot Karoo riding that I saw my arse on ( I couldnt really keep up with the high speed riding dirt that day). I thought about that a lot. The previous day I had done some training for the members of this board and it was hellish hot too. So hot, I nearly fainted on the bike (I did fall off when I nearly fainted). So it was stupid to go the next day, I was clearly off it. But I admit, I wasnt keeping up on the high speed stuff. On the technical stuff, breeze.

What other BMW club?

Whoohoo. SOunds like I clearly moered the hornets nest.

Wasnt my intention by the way.

shark_za

For the KTM fans
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 11:52:13 am »
I'm thinking about the first outing on the 950. With a whole bunch of BMW riders, HP2's etc.

I think you are generalising, but I would say there are a lot more average to bad BMW riders simply as they sell 10-1 vs the KTM.

Come ride with Leo, Steve Green, Ben , etc.
These boys can ride !

• Race Dog
For the KTM fans
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2006, 11:54:15 am »
Quote from: "shark_za"
I'm thinking about the first outing on the 950. With a whole bunch of BMW riders, HP2's etc.

Oh Lord.

Thats funny. Thanks mate.

Offline BlouVark

• Race Dog
For the KTM fans
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 04:00:57 pm »
Why is it that as soon as someone mention the "orange" word a all out attack starts on the brand? Everybody will allways say the KLR is great, or the TA is so capable & the BM is the best, but the KTM is crap.
I took a friend of mine & his wife on a 200km easy dirt trip on Sunday as he want to get in to DS riding. They both really liked it & wants to get a 1200GS(he used his brothers 1200GS). I mentioned  to him that I'm seriously considering buying a KTM 990S. The result was nearly a hour long argument why I shouldn't go orange, this from someone who's never been on one before & just had his first trip on dirt.
Just mentioned this to a friend at work(who's got a GS) & HE tried to change my mind. Not to mention the members of this forum who seems to have a regular go at LITO with his KTM.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my GS but if getting a KTM is going to piss off a couple of BM guys(my friends) & don't want to ride with me but never take their bikes off road anyway, be prepared 'cause I don't give a sh.. what you think. Like they say "opinions are like aholes, every one got one"  and this has been mine!

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
For the KTM fans
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 04:23:19 pm »
BlouVark

I did not see anyone having a go at LITO for riding a KTM, but rather for his opinions....

I personally could not give a shit what anyone rides, my bike is the one for me and thats all that counts....

I think the BM boys that try and convince you the hardest not to buy one are the ones that considered buying one and eventually got the GS and now they want you to do the same to re-afirm their choices!!!

:lol:  :lol:
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
For the KTM fans
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2006, 04:24:51 pm »
Blouvark - You are overreacting
the people who made those comments on the thread were only joking ...this time :twisted:

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
For the KTM fans
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2006, 04:36:48 pm »
Why is it that as soon as someone mention the "orange" word a all out attack starts on the brand? Everybody will allways say the KLR is great, or the TA is so capable & the BM is the best, but the KTM is crap.
I took a friend of mine & his wife on a 200km easy dirt trip on Sunday as he want to get in to DS riding. They both really liked it & wants to get a 1200GS(he used his brothers 1200GS). I mentioned  to him that I'm seriously considering buying a KTM 990S. The result was nearly a hour long argument why I shouldn't go orange, this from someone who's never been on one before & just had his first trip on dirt.
Just mentioned this to a friend at work(who's got a GS) & HE tried to change my mind. Not to mention the members of this forum who seems to have a regular go at LITO with his KTM.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my GS but if getting a KTM is going to piss off a couple of BM guys(my friends) & don't want to ride with me but never take their bikes off road anyway, be prepared 'cause I don't give a sh.. what you think. Like they say "opinions are like aholes, every one got one"  and this has been mine!

Shweet, I have never critisized the Katoom,s particularly, I actually like them, I am not convinced about reliability, but I know about the GS,s weak points (of which there are several) and ride sort of accordingly.
I don,t even critisize the pig ugly KLR,s and actually admire there capability for what is heavily compromised old tech (how can I say that and still ride the GSV).
Basically, who cares, ride what you want to ride as long as it puts a smile on YOUR face stuff the rest of them!

Welshie   :twisted: 8)  

Don't sweat the petty things and  don't pet the sweaty things.
An aspiring Coddiwompler

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Race Dog
For the KTM fans
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2006, 04:39:45 pm »
Quote from: "Welshman"
the Black ones are fastest!

Yeah Welshie. We all know why they are fastest... They are used to running (riding) away from crime scenes...
 :lol:  :lol:
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
For the KTM fans
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2006, 04:40:51 pm »
Amen Welshie :o
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.