The Dispatch Rider and the Valiant go and see Verneukpan - en kak lekker af!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bliknêrs

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Honda XR650L
Lospersplaas turn off :-  S30 53.066 E19 13.436
Bridge at railway line where I must turn off  :-   S30 47.218 E19 10.840
Hole S30 03.442 E21 07.197
The White House S32.39652 E20.66095

With this list in the pocket of my 10 year old leather pants I left home on Thursday. Apart from making me look like an aged rock star i.e. complete idiot, the leather pants was the best I could come up with in terms of protective gear for my lower body. In fact I got so carried away I went for the full "London Dispatch Rider" look with MX boots, 2 pairs of socks, long johns, leather pants, 2 T-shirts, 2-Sweaters, scarf and well worn, totally inadequate M2R jacket. I was still very upset that no-one offered a decent jacket I could afford in the for sale section in the week before the trip.

My bike was prepped a week earlier as I got the dates for the trip wrong. You'd think I would be prepared then but as usual my last minute packing consisted of throwing whatever I could find into boxes until they were full. Then strapping everything to the bike and make a list of everything I didn't have while riding the 60 km's to Montagu, the next big town where I would buy whatever I had forgotten.

I had 2 cheep sleeping bags and a genuine Mohair blanket for the cold. A tent and stretcher. This combined with the well thought out plan of putting on all my clothes and a beany was my clever plan against the terrible cold I expected.

As it were in Montagu I only had to buy a camping stove, some readymix coffee mixture and some droewors.

Destination. Sutherland.

A pic of the Valiant. Cool, ne?

Attachments

• WP_20130627_002.jpg
    WP_20130627_002.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 679