Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sidetracks not so boring life with a TE610 ->  (Read 13352 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
One thing that has been bugging me since the new cam chain is the noticable tapping sound from the top end. It drove me nuts and despite some people saying it's normal for a 610 I knew that it was much more quiet when I first got the bike. So today I decided to investigate, after dumping just about all off the coolant on the garage floor I managed to take the waterpump off with the gasket in one piece ! I did not want to order parts before having a good look at the rockers. I read that the rocker shafts and bushes are prone to wear. Cheap fix is to flip the shafts 180 degrees, I reckoned at least that will help me to confirm if they are causing the noise.

Eventually got the rocker box off and marked how they (shafts) were sitting then felt for play, I pushed and pulled and it felt like there was minute play but I could not be sure. My guess was a micro milleter play could certainly translate in rocker noise. I extracted the shafts by using a 6mm bolt that screws in the side on the outside off the shaft. They came out pretty easily, then it was time to inspect.

Straight away I noticed the bushes had some bronze showing on the one side and sure enough the shafts also had a shiny vs dull side clearly showing uneven wear. I was a bit surprised at the shafts because they are made from what looks like steel ! Maybe the same steel the clutch cup washers are made off  >:D I flipped them and re installed and checked the valve clearance again. Started up and tadaa much quieter, almost like a Honda  :biggrin:

So I'll be off to the local Husky shop soon and placing an order. Only thing that bothers me is that the bushes seems to be pressed inside the rocker, although the bushes are listed it may be better just to order a complete rocker assembly and new shaft ? Any how if any 610 owners hears some top end clatter this is worth a look. I have heard that flipping them will excelerate wear so it's definetly only a temporary solution. I still think these bikes suffer from a poorly head. Parts wear just way too fast for a bike with service intervals as stated but hey no bike is perfect and I still rate it as the best ds bike I have owned.

There is nothing wrong with those bushes, and shaft does not look too bad either.
Looking at them  there seems to be wear, flipping them made the motor quiet ?
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
Well I did another oil change after the clutch repair and the debris are no gone, very little metal deposit on the magnetic drain plug so all looks fine.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
... I presume you mean now and not no ...  :eek7:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
... I presume you mean now and not no ...  :eek7:
Yip
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
Rocker bushes now fubar top end sounds terrible, factory moving in Italy and no stock locally and ordering online will take just as long. No riding for at least a month I would guess  :(
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 02:38:45 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline HK

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Ag nee sweer , dis bad . Kan jy nie die goed laat maak by daai engineering plek nie ?
Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
Rocker bushes now fubar top end sounds terrible, factory moving in Italy and no stock locally and ordering online will take just as long. No riding for at least a month I would guess  :(

Order from Halls or Zipty in USA - USPS Intl = 10 days. Can ship in a padded envelope I am sure.  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog

Order from Halls or Zipty in USA - USPS Intl = 10 days. Can ship in a padded envelope I am sure.  :thumleft:
Parts $13, shipping $43  :biggrin:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog

Order from Halls or Zipty in USA - USPS Intl = 10 days. Can ship in a padded envelope I am sure.  :thumleft:
Parts $13, shipping $43  :biggrin:

Ja shipping is often the expense. Ask them to check the shipping cost as that sounds expensive on small parts - they often quote a ballpark figure.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 03:41:45 pm by BiG DoM »

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
Re: Metal bits in the oil ..... sorted ...... the 610 mods continue -> WATERPUMP
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2013, 09:07:02 pm »
Eish so I go back and strip the rocker box to get to the bushes and shafts, while I'm taking it apart I have a look at the waterpump and to my dismay I find I can take the small nut off the impeller shaft by hand ! On further inspection I see that the impeller which is slotted is totally worn and just spins freely on the shaft. Looks like a pewter piece of shit. Basicly I have been riding who knows how many km's with a impeller that was not spinning, next obvious question did the bike overheat ? I had no warning light, no obvious milky residue in the oil but the coolant did look darker than normal, maybe from becoming too hot. Really don't know how to test for this except taking the head off ? The spark plug looked normal as well. Poured the coolant into a container and apart from the darker colour there was no oil slick on top.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
 :eek7: :eek7: :eek7:

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
Jammer om te hoor Jacques.
Hoop jy kry jou fiets weer vinnig aan die go
 ;)

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
No temp light and the fan did not come on therefore coolant could not have been too hot but a possible head gasket failure is still possible ? The motor did knock and tick even more than usual.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
No temp light and the fan did not come on therefore coolant could not have been too hot but a possible head gasket failure is still possible ? The motor did knock and tick even more than usual.
Coolant has to cycle past/through the sensor in order for the light and fan to register a warm condition.

Where is the pickup of the temperature sensor for the light located?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 09:55:33 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
More than likely do a compression and radiator leak down test when everything is back together
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline HK

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Ag nee shit man  :eek7:  ek vermoed hy moes nog gedraai het anders sou hy beslis  headgasket gepop het.

Was dit nie wetter wat jou engine so laat raas het nie ?

Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
Coolant has to cycle past/through the sensor in order for the light and fan to register a warm condition.

Where is the pickup for the temperature sensor of the light located?
In one of the hoses but not in the rad
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!

Where is the pickup for the temperature sensor of the light located?
In one of the hoses but not in the rad
See, if the sensor is not on the head itself, it means f'kall.
My water cooled PC suffered a water pump failure a while back. The CPU was boiling the liquid in the waterblock while the liquid in the pipes and radiator was barely warmer than usual.
Water is a poor conductor by nature.

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
Ag nee shit man  :eek7:  ek vermoed hy moes nog gedraai het anders sou hy beslis  headgasket gepop het.

Was dit nie wetter wat jou engine so laat raas het nie ?

Ja maar ek scheme jy sal kan ry met n head gasket wat gepop het. Het gelees dat dit n engine meer raserig maak, jy het hom gehoor. Mens lees te veel op die net dan gaan n mens op hol, shit deel is nou moet ek n maand sit en wonder wat presies daar aangaan tot parte arriveer. Sit alles aanmekaar en dan weer dieselfde stront. Die rockers het defnitief meer play as van te vore so hulle is gaar, impeller kon teen housing geskuur het en ook bedrae to geraas maar die engine was rerig rof en loud veral toe hy warm was. Die volgende dag het ek hom weer gestart en hy was bietjie stiller. As ek geweet het kon ek die coolant level gecheck het maar ek het dit gedrain voor ek van die stront geweet het.
J.R.R Tolkien