Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sidetracks not so boring life with a TE610 ->  (Read 13313 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Keep it real, keep it a single
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
No temp light and the fan did not come on therefore coolant could not have been too hot but a possible head gasket failure is still possible ? The motor did knock and tick even more than usual.
Coolant has to cycle past/through the sensor in order for the light and fan to register a warm condition.

Where is the pickup of the temperature sensor for the light located?
In the pipes no. 36
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline HK

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Ja dis waar , regtig jammer jy het so shit met die bike . Laat weet asb as ek jou kan help met iets.

Maar nou begin ek ook wonder of my besluit wys was  ???

Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Online voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • I crash like a champ!
No temp light and the fan did not come on therefore coolant could not have been too hot but a possible head gasket failure is still possible ? The motor did knock and tick even more than usual.
Coolant has to cycle past/through the sensor in order for the light and fan to register a warm condition.

In the pipes no. 36
:-\ Yes as stated, the sensor can not be trusted to determine an overheating condition, being located where it is.
Water will thermosiphon but it will take quite a while.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosiphon
Only way to tell would be as you said; to open her up
 :-[

MacMac's 450 had a total melt down due to a similar incident.
You were really lucky Jacques
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 10:25:49 pm by dirtWarp »

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
Ja dis waar , regtig jammer jy het so shit met die bike . Laat weet asb as ek jou kan help met iets.

If I remember correctly sidetracks scoot is a lot older and appeared to have had quite a rough life before he got it.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Online voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
Not so.
His 610 was a "minter" when he 1st got it at 13K km.
He takes good care of his bikes too; his 440 DRZ is testament to that.

Jacques, the fact that there is no water in the oil is certainly a good sign. It's very likely that all will be OK with new rockers, bushes and an impeller.
See what Conrad thinks too.
 :thumleft:

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
Hmm ok lets say the impeller did not spin or spin randomly and slow but coolant present, what would be the chances of a stuffed head gasket ? What say you  :biggrin:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog

In the pipes no. 36
:-\ Yes as stated, the sensor can not be trusted to determine an overheating condition, being located where it is.
Water will thermosiphon but it will take quite a while.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermosiphon
Only way to tell would be as you said; to open her up
 :-[

MacMac's 450 had a total melt down due to a similar incident.
You were really lucky Jacques
Cool so circulation is possible even without a impellar ? We did not do any technical riding, open medium speed, hope the passing air helped  :P
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 11:17:18 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Straatkat

HK, moenie stres nie, 610 Husky's is baie goeie bikes, op forums hoor mens net van al die k#k, en nooit van al die bikes wat soos klokslag loop nie. Hulle is high performance bikes en soos met all dinge meganies, kan mens van tyd tot tyd seker issues verwag. Waar kry jy 'n bike wat net 140kg weeg en 54hp stoot? ;)
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog

Nee man hulle is sharp, dink ek het maar net n maandag bike gekry. Ek reken ook die 2006 het meer issues omdat hulle die eerste van die nuwe shape was. Maar hy is nog steeds vinniger  :biggrin: Julle moet maar kom bier drink en raad gee, moet net eers my gras sny  ;D
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Straatkat

Hmm ok lets say the impeller did not spin or spin randomly and slow but coolant present, what would be the chances of a stuffed head gasket ? What say you  :biggrin:

Logic tells me that hot coolant rises to then highest point which is probably the radiator, and it gets heated in the head, so with some luck you might have had some coolant movement due to convection, and that coupled to a impeller that was probably still turning some, I am putting my money on your head gasket still being OK, But you can check by doing a compression test. Oil in the coolant would be a sign, but that depends where the gasket was compromised. (between oil and coolant passages) Just my 2c
How many km's on your scoot?
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
Not so.
His 610 was a "minter" when he 1st got it at 13K km.
He takes good care of his bikes too; his 440 DRZ is testament to that.

Jacques, the fact that there is no water in the oil is certainly a good sign. It's very likely that all will be OK with new rockers, bushes and an impeller.
See what Conrad thinks too.
 :thumleft:

Sorry sidetrack - my error.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
J.R.R Tolkien

Online voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
Hulle is high performance bikes en soos met all dinge meganies, kan mens van tyd tot tyd seker issues verwag. Waar kry jy 'n bike wat net 140kg weeg en 54hp stoot? ;)
Klink of jy die 610 met die 510 verwar. Die 610 is n average performance bike. Daai 54hp is op die crank gemeet: trek 20% af.

Biggest thing in the 610's favour is the fact that there are almost no alternatives to them..especially at their price!
Oh and that awesome 6th gear.

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
Actually think the motors are pretty tough, mine ran with clutch cup washers floating around in the motor, worn rocker bushes and not a failed waterpump. We did about 120km/h riding back home and besides the noisy motor it still pulled strong.
J.R.R Tolkien

Online voorvel

• aka dirtWarp
  • Race Dog
  • I crash like a champ!
Actually think the motors are pretty tough, mine ran with clutch cup washers floating around in the motor, worn rocker bushes and not a failed waterpump. We did about 120km/h riding back home and besides the noisy motor it still pulled strong.
Alternative to water in oil, is leaking compression, resulting in a drop in power.
Sounds like your gasket is still ok.

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
Impellar part #  8A00 60415, shared with the 450/510 - Primrose got one in stock !
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Straatkat

Klink of jy die 610 met die 510 verwar. Die 610 is n average performance bike. Daai 54hp is op die crank gemeet: trek 20% af.

Biggest thing in the 610's favour is the fact that there are almost no alternatives to them..especially at their price!
Oh and that awesome 6th gear.
[/quote]

Wag net so 'n bietjie, die 54hp was wel op die krukas, maar toe power-up ons die bike, wat 'n GROOT verskil maak, sekerlik ten minste die 20% waarvan jy praat. So dan is ons weer op 54Hp op die agterwiel, maar dis net spekulasie. Het enige iemand al die 610 met P/U op 'n dyno gehad (met 'n gladde band, nie 'n knobbly nie, miskien 'n SM)

There are alternatives, for one the X-Challenge. but having said that I won't easily swop my 610 for another adv bike, it spins its wheel everywhere I go on dirt and goes fast enough on tar to overtake safely.
at the end of the day everything is an trade-off, the 610 hits the balance for me.
18 till I die.

Offline BiG DoM

• Gentleman Dog
I'm not the only one ..

http://nateandkirstin.com/images/TE610/impeller.html

Not entirely clear but is this link saying a Cagiva impellar will work - looks like it has larger fins - a good thing I guess but does it clear? I am guessing so?

Offline sidetrack

• Gentleman Dog
I'm not the only one ..

http://nateandkirstin.com/images/TE610/impeller.html

Not entirely clear but is this link saying a Cagiva impellar will work - looks like it has larger fins - a good thing I guess but does it clear? I am guessing so?
No it's just got the Cagiva brand name on it, mine has it too. No aftermarket avaliable as far as I know.
J.R.R Tolkien