Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Sidetracks not so boring life with a TE610 ->  (Read 10724 times)

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Metal bits in the oil ..... sorted ...... the 610 mods continue -> gearing
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2013, 09:43:43 am »
Seeing as you had a CRF recently, you might like to see the gearing of the two compared.
The CRF limited to 7000RPM:

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2013, 03:45:16 pm »

This is remarkably close to the CRFx with 15-48 gearing. (which I found too tall in 1st gear)
I suspect that your torque-oriented motor might not stall as much as the CRFx in 1st.

Damn that 6th gear is o-so-nice for cruising :thumleft:

Agreed
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2013, 09:34:01 pm »
Pity the Kush sprockets are only available in 41, 45 and 50 at present. While not a complete substitute to a cush hub it seems they do help a lot. Guess if I went 16 front and 50 rear would keep it about the same as present.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 09:39:28 pm by BiG DoM »
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2013, 12:01:47 am »
Pity the Kush sprockets are only available in 41, 45 and 50 at present. While not a complete substitute to a cush hub it seems they do help a lot. Guess if I went 16 front and 50 rear would keep it about the same as present.
if a 16 front would fit, it would actually be better than a 15, seeing as there will be more clearance between the chain and slider on the swing arm
 :thumleft:
I would have thought that 48T is a common size  ???

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Wah there you little monster !
« Reply #104 on: September 28, 2013, 01:35:52 pm »
Got around to fit the LV pipe today, I swear it's not just the extra music - the front is very light under acceleration  :ricky: I reckon the jetting was a little rich and the new pipe sorted that.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 02:12:00 pm by sidetrack »
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
Re: Metal bits in oil screen
« Reply #105 on: September 28, 2013, 02:02:27 pm »
R760 for the labour and parts

Good deal if it lasts.

Mine one, which is similar, has lasted just fine.

It would be interesting to know the density/hardness of the original washers.

Density will tell you nothing, but get me the bits and can tell you hardness and chemical analysis 8)
Welsh could you decipher the composition of the Italian metal ?

Not yet been busy with other kark have not been to the lab recently :-[
When is this "Old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
Re: Metal bits in the oil ..... sorted ...... the 610 mods continue -> exhaust
« Reply #106 on: September 28, 2013, 04:56:43 pm »
lyk mooi

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #107 on: October 07, 2013, 09:22:41 am »
Fitted the Hyde skid plate yesterday, the Motosportz one is now a man cave decoration. The Hyde fits the bike like a glove and is a lot lighter than the thick aluminium unit. It is also much easier to fit. But I'm still in two minds, on the last trip the aluminium bash plate took some big hits and did it's job quite well.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #108 on: October 07, 2013, 10:21:50 am »
Fitted the Hyde skid plate yesterday, the Motosportz one is now a man cave decoration. The Hyde fits the bike like a glove and is a lot lighter than the thick aluminium unit. It is also much easier to fit. But I'm still in two minds, on the last trip the aluminium bash plate took somec big hits and did it's job quite well.

It is superior to any alu bashplate in every respect. It just needs an extra hole drilled underneath on the one side so can drain water on sude stand after washing  :thumleft:
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
What mod are you going to do next?

Was wondering if you should wrap the head in noise cancelling foam?
 :pot:

I was worried about that Lister sound emanating from it; In those rural places, cattle personify the sound of a Lister with running water  ;D
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:01:44 pm by swart skaap »

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
What mod are you going to do next?

Was wondering if you should wrap the head in noise cancelling foam?
 :pot:

I was worried about that Lister sound emanating from it; In those rural places, cattle personify the sound of a Lister with running water  ;D
Rocker bushes, then it will be as quiet as a Honda !
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Straatkat

Where did you get the Hyde from? Locally? Price?
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
From Offroad Cycles but he had to order. Was around R600 - R650 if I remember correctly.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
Might have one for you.

Offline Straatkat

Let me know what you want for it, thinking of putting it on for everyday riding, my ally one is fine, but heavy for local jaunts.
18 till I die.
If hard work pays, show me rich donkey.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
One thing that has been bugging me since the new cam chain is the noticable tapping sound from the top end. It drove me nuts and despite some people saying it's normal for a 610 I knew that it was much more quiet when I first got the bike. So today I decided to investigate, after dumping just about all off the coolant on the garage floor I managed to take the waterpump off with the gasket in one piece ! I did not want to order parts before having a good look at the rockers. I read that the rocker shafts and bushes are prone to wear. Cheap fix is to flip the shafts 180 degrees, I reckoned at least that will help me to confirm if they are causing the noise.

Eventually got the rocker box off and marked how they (shafts) were sitting then felt for play, I pushed and pulled and it felt like there was minute play but I could not be sure. My guess was a micro milleter play could certainly translate in rocker noise. I extracted the shafts by using a 6mm bolt that screws in the side on the outside off the shaft. They came out pretty easily, then it was time to inspect.

Straight away I noticed the bushes had some bronze showing on the one side and sure enough the shafts also had a shiny vs dull side clearly showing uneven wear. I was a bit surprised at the shafts because they are made from what looks like steel ! Maybe the same steel the clutch cup washers are made off  >:D I flipped them and re installed and checked the valve clearance again. Started up and tadaa much quieter, almost like a Honda  :biggrin:

So I'll be off to the local Husky shop soon and placing an order. Only thing that bothers me is that the bushes seems to be pressed inside the rocker, although the bushes are listed it may be better just to order a complete rocker assembly and new shaft ? Any how if any 610 owners hears some top end clatter this is worth a look. I have heard that flipping them will excelerate wear so it's definetly only a temporary solution. I still think these bikes suffer from a poorly head. Parts wear just way too fast for a bike with service intervals as stated but hey no bike is perfect and I still rate it as the best ds bike I have owned.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline swart skaap

• Deleted Users
Doesn't that bike only have 13 000km on the odo?

That's only 130 hours at 100km/h average.  :o

-- Jou lekke ding! --

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Doesn't that bike only have 13 000km on the odo?

That's only 130 hours at 100km/h average.  :o
17 000km
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline HK

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
Onthou net asb , as jy iets bestel vir die husky laat my weet asb , ek wil ook maar begin stock op bou vir die future . Ek gaan die bike lank ry  :thumleft: 

Gee nie om wat Swartskaap te se" het nie  :lamer:

Husqvarna 610 TE
Yamaha YZ 450F

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
One thing that has been bugging me since the new cam chain is the noticable tapping sound from the top end. It drove me nuts and despite some people saying it's normal for a 610 I knew that it was much more quiet when I first got the bike. So today I decided to investigate, after dumping just about all off the coolant on the garage floor I managed to take the waterpump off with the gasket in one piece ! I did not want to order parts before having a good look at the rockers. I read that the rocker shafts and bushes are prone to wear. Cheap fix is to flip the shafts 180 degrees, I reckoned at least that will help me to confirm if they are causing the noise.

Eventually got the rocker box off and marked how they (shafts) were sitting then felt for play, I pushed and pulled and it felt like there was minute play but I could not be sure. My guess was a micro milleter play could certainly translate in rocker noise. I extracted the shafts by using a 6mm bolt that screws in the side on the outside off the shaft. They came out pretty easily, then it was time to inspect.

Straight away I noticed the bushes had some bronze showing on the one side and sure enough the shafts also had a shiny vs dull side clearly showing uneven wear. I was a bit surprised at the shafts because they are made from what looks like steel ! Maybe the same steel the clutch cup washers are made off  >:D I flipped them and re installed and checked the valve clearance again. Started up and tadaa much quieter, almost like a Honda  :biggrin:

So I'll be off to the local Husky shop soon and placing an order. Only thing that bothers me is that the bushes seems to be pressed inside the rocker, although the bushes are listed it may be better just to order a complete rocker assembly and new shaft ? Any how if any 610 owners hears some top end clatter this is worth a look. I have heard that flipping them will excelerate wear so it's definetly only a temporary solution. I still think these bikes suffer from a poorly head. Parts wear just way too fast for a bike with service intervals as stated but hey no bike is perfect and I still rate it as the best ds bike I have owned.

There is nothing wrong with those bushes, and shaft does not look too bad either.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM