Sidetracks not so boring life with a TE610 ->

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidetrack

Grumpy Mutt
Reaction score
Some may remember my last bike the KTM525 EXC

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=50243.0

Well it was a great ride with gobs full of power, I got it pretty close to what I wanted it to be then sold it. Funny how things work like that. The the itch started again and I looked around, I knew I wanted either a XR650R, XR600 or maybe a later KTM530XCW or EXC. Well XR's are rare and low mileage ones very difficult to find. Looking at XR600's well again finding a well looked after one is near on impossible and they are getting on in age. The 530's are overpriced, costing much more than 450's which is basiclly the same bike. Also getting it through road worthy will take alot of paperwork. Then over a beer Dirtwarp mentioned the TE610, a bike it seems everyone overlooks. My friend HHHusky used to ride one and loved it to bits.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=6924.0

DSCF7028copy.jpg

Yes it's got all the boxes ticked, capable, well equiped, well priced and decent power ! Problem to find one there is not many around  :-\
In the mean time I surfed the web and read Big Dogs adventures on his 610.

https://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147232

https://www.bigdogadventures.com/TID.htm

Besides building killer ds bikes his stories is also fun to read : "I apologize to Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman of "Long Way Round" and "Long Way Down" fame.............accomplished world travelers.
However as I see it, the only difference between us and the "Long Way Round" guys, is millions of dollars, and good looks."

020%20TID.jpg

033%20TID.JPG

The TE started to look like a good choice ......

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I have spoken to a number of guys and all seem to agree it's a very good bike (even Runner  :eek:). I can only guess that because of Husky dealerships being few and far between and the brands main stream obscurity that no one is really keen on them. Well looking over the bike I can't help but feel that this is the kind of dual sport bike the Japanese brands should have evolved into. I give Husqvarna props for that :salut:

Good suspension, light, good power and well specced equipment. The Italian styling is not too shabby either. Wheeled it into the garage and took some dodgy night time pics.

IMG_0412.jpg

For the first time ever buying a second hand bike I actually received an owners manual and the original toolkit ..... awesome !

IMG_0409.jpg

The bike had original Metzeler Karoo's on, I got new Maxxis tyres with the bike

IMG_0413.jpg

Mileage

IMG_0424.jpg

Soon I was busy getting to know the bike .....

---------------------------------------------------------------------

First thing to go was the pillion pegs, no use for that on this bike

IMG_0414.jpg

Tadaa

IMG_0417.jpg

Most of the bolts had copper grease on them, the previous owner really looked after this bike

IMG_0416.jpg

Also removed the original rubber covers for the foot pegs, the stock pegs looks a bit narrow. Hmmm wonder what's avaliable ? Spot the Cagiva Elephant

IMG_0423.jpg

The bike had one missing bolt on the exhaust shield so I dived into my stainless collection  :biggrin:

IMG_0421.jpg

The exhaust shield covers most of the pipe

IMG_0422.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------

My only gripe so far .... the airbox. The bolt setup is a poor design, yes many use the bolts set in the plastic for instance on side panels but on a part like the airbox lid that requires alot of taking apart they should have gone for dzus fastners. The seat has one so why not the airbox. And yes turns out mine is stripped so I can't get the airbox lid off. I know the low air intake can also give problems at deeper water crossings.

Some fixes avaliable so I will look into that

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking :

- Hyde bash / skid plate
- Fatbar
- Cycra hand guards
- Maybe a better headlight from Baja Designs
- Aftermarket footpegs
- IMS tank if needed

Still not sure if I want to mount the rack that came with the bike, I like the sleek look and will mostly likely use a Giant Loop Cayote bag.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me first say I found a minter of a bike, it's been really well cared for

IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0433.jpg

It feels wrong taking it to the dirt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So after riding it for a while I'm starting to know the Husky. Power initially dissapointing, it pulls real well as the revs rise but then drops off. I'm sure my bored DRZ 400 would have run next to if not beat the 610. The 525 would have destroyed it. BUT it is still stock standard and to be honest the TE is a DS first and foremost while the 525 is a race bike. 5 000 km service intervals vs hours. Not really fair to compare then. After riding a XR650R as well the XR has loads more torque than the TE but feels more old school and has 80 cc more.

I may add a larger rear sprocket, 6th is good but there is not enough power at present. It feels more like an overdrive gear. Suspension is good. Handling very good, the bike feels very light and nimble. I also like the seating position, in a way reminding me of a DRZ. Good quality wheels, excellant instrument cluster. Not only is there a fual warning light but also nice touches like a rev counter and shift light ! Awesome package in such a compact unit.

Styiling beautifull like all things Italian, it won't age quickly. Chain slider is gone at 14 000km and needs replacing. Bit quick I think. The rear disc has lots of play on it, I know it's floating but it feels excessive. Controls laid out well, the rear indicators are toast.. They have pieces rattling around inside. I know Blazes mentioned aftermarket units at Midas. Next I need to check the mounting bolts.

So far I really like the bike  :thumleft:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading some of the advice from fellow 610 owners I decided to give the bike a once over :

The two top mounting bolts were loose, I'm no engineer but I'm sure it's because they use one engine mount instead of two like most bikes. One is more likely to be affected by vibrations and twisting from the motor.

My battery tray is cracked on the one side.

Removing the airbox since I have two stripped nuts on the airbox lid. I noticed the breather from the motor plugs into the airbox. It's a press fit and may allow dirt in. I added some plumbers tape on the breather pipe and grease on the airbox hole. The engine spits some oil onto the air filter which runs down and drips at the bottom. With regular air filter cleaning this should not be a problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If money was no problem ....

IMS tank
Cycra Guards
Fatbar
Baja designs headlight

03%20BigTank.jpg

Fastway Billet pegs

fastway-footpegs-mounts-evolution-ii-series-f5-footpegs_1.jpg

FMF Q4 pipe

picture4__37826_zoom.JPG

Unabiker rad guards

te610full.jpg

Billet oil cap

oil_cap_red.jpg

Hyde skid plate

TE310Hyde1.jpg

TE610%203a.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have bought the following, awaiting delivery from overseas :

Aluminium skid plate from Motosportz

https://www.motosportz.com/HVA-SS/HVA-SS-Home.htm

TEskid1.jpg

Cycra Pro Bend's

cycra_pro_bend_bar_pack_yellow.jpg

PBR sprockets, Italian sprockets for an Italian bike  :biggrin:
Decided on a 15 -46 setup as the 6th gear needed too much revs to keep in the power.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skid plate on it's way ;

Your item has been processed at our origin sort facility at 10:23 pm on March 12, 2012 in KENT, WA 98032.

-Dispatched to Sort Facility, March 12, 2012, 6:43 pm, MOUNT VERNON, WA 98273
-Acceptance, March 12, 2012, 3:42 pm, MOUNT VERNON, WA 98273

What how long it will take when the local post office gets hold it :/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got it today had to pay R132-00. Delivery took a week from the US so I'm happy and can highly recommend Motosportz. Well I fitted the aluminium skid plate and it's proper, test ride revealed a vibration at higher revs. Can also be the new chain or more likely the skid plate. I will add some rubber between the frame and skid plate and see. Also got a Hyde from Runner so if all else fails I will try the plastic one.

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rattle turned out to be the cam chain, it needs replacing. I checked the tensioner and it's on 10 clicks  :( The bike is now close on 15 000km so I did not last long. FYI my DRZ's chain was changed at 50 000km. Looking at masterlink type cam chains as the process to change the stock one is quite a process.

https://www.supermotojunkie.com/showthread.php?60551-A-HOW-TO-610-Cam-Chain-Replacement

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So cam chain replaced, big thanks to Runner who lent me a flywheel puller. You will also need a waterpump gasket. It's also recommended to have spare valve cover gaskets but I was lucky and mine seems fine. The valves were also set to 0.05mm. Removing the tank I ended up breaking off one of the wires that connects to the tap that sends the reserve signal to the speedo. Kaark design, it was only a matter of time. I see most recommend fitting a proper on / reserver fuel tap. Going for a little ride tomorrow to make sure it's running ok   Still dreaming about a IMS tank, smaller mirrors and a led tail light ... oh and some Mitas C02 tyres.

The pipe is now also opened up, thanks to Blazes for the parts to do the conversion. The bike runs MUCH better. The stock unit is so restrictive it's a wonder the gas can get out the back ! The sound is pretty much the same so don't worry about it being too loud. Gave it a quick polish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I added the DRC mirrors from the CRF and a Dirt Bike Gear tail bag I bought some time ago.

Want to do this next to get rid of the dust : https://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11542859&postcount=27

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Got the speedo into pieces, comes apart easily only the small tabs holding the transparent speedo unit to the backplate is very thin so you have to be carefull. Cleaned the display and it looks much better now. I sealed the surface where the plugs boot fits over with some silicone, not sure if it's good enough. The clutch cable is still a pain in the back side. Looks too long but I know the routing is incorrect.

https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=89995.msg2476815#msg2476815

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I would really like to change :

LED for the rear light, the stocker always blows a filament or does not make contact
LED indicators
New T63 tyres
Black rims for the hell of it
Different headlight
Fit the Leo Vince X3 pipe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok so I decided to change the oil, seems there is a shortage of Actevo so I got some Putoline. The magnetic drain plug was covered with "grease paste" type of metal you often find there. So then decided to remove the screen on the shift lever side  bearing in mind this has problaly never been checked on this bike. There were tiny bits of metal but nothing serious. I cleaned the screen and decided to check the cavity before reinstalling the screen. To my surprise I found a couple or fairly large metal bits lying inside the cavity itself. I fished them out and took a pic, what do you guys reckon ? The biggest one almost looks like part of a washer (clutch cups ?). All the pieces are definetly steel as they all stuck to my screwdrivers magnetic tip  :-\

Attachments

• IMG_1739.JPG
    IMG_1739.JPG
    272.7 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_1741.JPG
    IMG_1741.JPG
    259.4 KB · Views: 676