Fuel controller and TPS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KSMITH

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Hi all,

maybe dumb questions , maybe not?

i can assume that the function of the fule controller is to regulate the power going to the fuel pump so that in this manner a fuel pressure regulator is not required?

ie at start up and at full throttle the power to the fuel pump is maximum there by the pump runsa at maximum capacity?
then at cruising and Idle the fuel pump just maintains  enough but a lower fuel pressure in the system ?
if this is correct where does the fuel controller get its signal from ? IE- is there a fuel pressure sensor somewhere in  the fuel line?

or is it a combination of tps , road speed and engine speed signal ?

also can a faulty TPS cause an irratic idle?
or a faulty Fuel controller?

i have a bad idle and am trying to sort out as much as possible before i do a tune up with the help of a fellow dwag  spyker.
bike has awsome power and pulls nicely, but has a roughish idle, i do get a pop every so often from the exhaust on deceleration in gear and more worringly yesterday on my way home from work it felt like i got a couple of jerking- like when you have a dead HT lead? and last night i went to the shop quick while i was putting on my gloves the engine cut out, restarted fine and gave me no trouble?

thanks