Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Cave Girl and LeonDude does a Kruger Hike  (Read 3316 times)

Offline Dwerg

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 900 Scrambler
    • Wise Web Worx
Re: Cave Girl and LeonDude does a Kruger Hike
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2013, 06:32:42 am »
Oh yeah, I would not do this in the summer.
The park gets really hot in summer, and even in July the weather was HOT during the day. Nights got cold, but not unbearable. I used a normal sleeping bag with an extra inner, and I slept in my pants and a warm shirt and fleece.

Ja nee somer sal ondraaglik wees. Die temperatuur daar bo vat vat blykbaar aan 50. Die temperatuur laas week was in die dag 32-34  :o
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Cave Girl

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 07:00:31 am »
I have been oh a hike where the young Mr Slater (9) carried his own back pack! I seem to remember Wayne saying the age limit was 14 - I think the problem is more about size - smaller people are easy prey   :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 01:29:41 pm by Cave Girl »
Like a Bat .... have a unique vision to search SUCCESS in the DARK -

Offline King Louis

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2013, 12:26:31 pm »
Thanks for sharing, guys. On the to do list. Have done a couple of the day hikes, but not the one with backpack yet. Looks great!

Offline CHorse

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 12:50:43 pm »
 :thumleft:

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DL650 - The Magic Touch
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2013, 06:19:23 pm »
Day 3
Once again we are up bright and early and have some time to ourselves before the others crawl out of their tents. This is the time I enjoy the most, sitting lookout out over the dry riverbed, and I have the whole of the bush veldt to myself. Oh ok, I had to share it with all those elephants, but you know what I mean. The peace and quiet is something magnificent.

Early morning in our camp. This was always a time to check what strange spoor could be found in the camp. Mostly though, the animals kept their distance.

We have breakfast and then pack up camp. Today we have to start heading back, because tomorrow we will only have a short time to get to the pick-up point. Once we are loaded like pack donkeys once again we head out. Iím now finding the hiking much easier, Iím getting used to the load and Iíve strapped the walking sticks to my pack so that I donít have to carry them. Really, I donít know what people use those things for. Walking sticks are for old folk, ok?

Lunch break on day 3. This  might look like just my stove and kettle in the dry riverbed, but look a bit closer and youíll seeÖ

ÖThese two guys in the background. What a setting for a meal!

Eventually we do get to spot a buffalo, quite close by, but heís hidden behind some thick bushes, so I donít get any photos of him. Our guides decide not to try to pass him, as these animals are very unpredictable, instead we move back to a huge old Jackal berry tree where we set up camp for the night. When camp is ready we go down to the water and have a bath (yes, in the crocodile infested waters). Then we have lunch, after which we take our light daypacks and go for an easy walk with the guides.

The impala lilies were in full bloom everywhere.

And where there are flowers, there are spiders waiting for food to fly in.

On this walk I see a massive skull of a buffalo, and when I ask the guide to stop so that I can take a photo he does better than that. We make our way to the skull and there Wayne explains to us how these animals sometimes die of Anthrax or tuberculosis. He also points out what looks like growths on the horns, and explains about the keratin moths that cause them.
They really are a brilliant splash of colour in a brown landscape.

This is a juvenile Bateleur Eagle

Man these guides really know their way around the bush. He will stop and listen to a sound, and if it sounds interesting, like an owl call or such, he will suddenly veer off the animal track that we are currently following and go in a completely different direction. And still heíll find his way back to camp without any trouble.

At one stage he stops us and tells us that the bird calls we can hear are from red eyed something or another. (Sorry, by that time I was suffering from information overload, he was just that informative). To show them to us, he started making his own whistling sounds. He perfectly mimicked the call of a pearl spotted owl. Moments later the five red eyed birds were flying towards us and took up station right above us in a tree. Wayne then explained that the birds did not like these owls, so when they hear them they will investigate and try to get rid of the owl.

Simon and the elephant eyeing each other. How close is that!

Close up of the ellie.

Later that night I asked Wayne if he could please do the sound of an injured buffalo in dire need of being eaten by a pack of hungry lions, because Iíd like to see the lions. Wayne said that although he could actually do it, it would be crossing a line between showing someone nature and unethical. And that, in a nutshell, is why Wayne does the job he does Ė because he loves nature.

Another close up, although this really is not zoomed in much.

This ellie got shy and decided to hide behind a tree.

That night, after a fantastic time sharing stories around the campfire we climb into our tents. Weíd barely laid our heads down when a spotted hyena calls from opposite the river. This is by now a lullaby instead of something that makes me lie awake, so with these sounds I fall asleep.

The pools of water in the river was big after the floods of earlier the year. Apparently there is usually much less water.

Waterbuck having a drink. This must be a zoomed in shot, because those buck scampered quickly if we came near.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 06:23:15 pm by LeonDude »
Ride reports, books and more on my website.
http://www.leondekock.com/
Building Plans - A Concise reference
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1093937
https://books.apple.com/us/book/x/id1576543716

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 12:38:29 pm »
Day 4
Today we have to catch a bit of speed, but of course we are up before anybody else and have some time to enjoy the sunrise all by ourselves. Somehow I miss Sharron, only to find her sitting quietly on the riverbank, with the whole of the Kruger Parkís peacefulness lying at her feet. Then I make Sharron some coffee and get her to enjoy it with me. Eventually the others crawl out of their tents one by one and breakfast starts in all earnest. Then we pack up and head out. Wayne has to take another group out in the afternoon and we have to get back to the big smoke for work tomorrow, so we cannot dilly dally.

Our last early morning on the hike.

Come on sun, just a bit higher, itís cold!

Our campsite. After the guides had cleaned up, there were only footprints to show that we had been there.

Today I hardly feel my pack, and all too soon we reach the pick-up point and our amazing adventure has come to an end.

We stow our packs in the trailer and scramble into the game viewing vehicle. The group riding back is much more boisterous than the group that had come here four three days ago. There are new experiences to remember, and a sense of having shared something that very few people give themselves the opportunity to enjoy.

Ash not only had to carry that heavy pack, but his rifle too. But he loves doing this.

The sun trying a bit harder.

There are crocodiles in those pools, be warned!

The shadow of Nuffi the Wild dog. Heíd ridden on Sharronís backpack for 3 days, pointing out game along the way.

Back into the Mopani bushes, listening carefully for elephant once again.

Single file, and on day three the group was making a lot less noise than on day one. We were getting this walking quietly thing right at last.

Sharron and myself.

John and Selina

Yours truly.

Sharron AKA Cave Girl

This picture must be from day 3, because nobody is carrying backpacks!

Sunrise on the river.

Believe me, these words cannot bring across the experience we had. This is something that you just have to do for yourself. No story or television program can bring across the feeling a city person feels when he or she climbs into a tent in the wild, not knowing what will come out of the bush during the night.

Sharron always says that she only goes to a place once, because there are too many other places that needs seeing. She has already promised me that next yearís hike in the Kruger is as good as booked, and this time we will take her daughters with us, as itís something we feel they have to experience as well.

I hope that, if nothing else, this report will get a few of you to go on this hike, and have the experience we had.

On our way back, another game viewing vehicle came from the front. Here we had to change vehicles, but would you believe, the guy that came to meet us had brought us a few cold ones!

Our guides, Wayne on the left, Ash on the right. Thanks guys, that was a super hike!

Group photo, and after weíd all been in the bush for 4 days and had only bathed in the Shingwedzi river, itís a good thing photos donít have smell. We couldnít wait for a shower!

Offline Tonteldoos

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 08:40:31 pm »
Lekker !! thanx for sharing  :thumleft:
Challenge = Innovation = Change

Offline DirtRebell

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2013, 09:18:15 pm »
I like this rr. Well done.

Offline Lommies

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • aka ArsŤne Lupin
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2013, 03:04:13 pm »
Nice report  :thumleft: LeonDude
In 2 weeks' time we have our annual family holiday in the KPark, can't wait
Have forwarded this link to my dad, he wants to do this.

Offline Philemon

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • My pack
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2013, 06:31:41 pm »
LD - thanks for this great RR or is it a WR (walk report).

:thumleft:
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.  .  .  .  .  .  Leonardo da Vinci

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2013, 08:13:36 pm »
Very lekker Leon & Sharon !! Nice photees too!
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2013, 05:17:07 am »
Simply awesome.  Why did you leave me out? :lol8:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline mtr89

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2013, 08:33:27 pm »
I HAVE to do this!man that looks fantastic.thanks for the hike report.
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 07:36:56 pm »
LD I can understand that you battled.. just look at the angle of you pack.. You want it as close as possible to your back preventing it to hang backwards..

But gooi some more..
Hi Tonteldoos
Dit het my vrek lank gevat hoekom daai rugsak teen daai angle was, maar ek dink ek weet nou hoe om hom reg op te sit, die shoulder straps was te los, ek moes hulle net styf getrek het dan sou die pak reg gewees het.
Thanks
Leon