Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Never again.  (Read 3870 times)

Offline hedleyj

Re: Never again.
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2013, 09:33:13 pm »
Ponte de Oruro

Ridiculously expensive R300 / case of beer R5 for a tomato. FFS

Kak service

Lousy attitude

Too many drop outs there

Been there many times but the last was the last

BTW Lagos is also not high on my top 1000 places o go on holiday list. Spent 3 months there too.

I'm sure the sun goes around the earth twice a day.

Offline Aprilian

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • 1200 BMX
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2013, 09:36:58 pm »
Solitaire!
Stem saam- jou gemoed bepaal alles. 3 dae daar vasgevang sonder bande nadat drie afgeskryf het op horrible pad tussen Luderitz (theres that place again) en Solitaire
Moet darem onmiddelik se dat die mense baie behulpsaam en vriendelik was. Namibiers is verstommend- op n trip vol teespoed het n Namibier elke keer gestop, gehelp en uit hulle pad gegaan om ons te help.
Maar drie volle dae op Solitaire is te veel...
Surely if I was obsessed with motorcycles I’d have more than one; no two; no three; no no, four… ah, never mind…

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:04 pm »
Hendrina
Allegedly midway between Middleburg and Ermelo, it is actually halfway between Nowhere and Nowhere Else.

The Hendrina council gets ALL its income from speed traps.
The first time I drove through the town I obeyed the speed limit until I got out into the countryside where I started accelerating up to 120.  
Out  from his hiding place on the corner of a dirt road jumped the young traffic punk.
The "town limits" - and the 60km/h limit - is up to the dirt road, which for an urban city dweller is w-a-y out in the country.
(They also remove the 120 signs on the way out of town so you don't know when you may legally speed up - so you don't.)

When I went into the chief traffic officer to pay the fine on the last day for payment,
I told him it was the first R200 and also the last R200 that Hendrina would get from me.  
"I won't buy a food or a cold drink here and I won't put in fuel here.  I won't even PISS in this town!"

That was over 20 years ago.
I have kept my promise.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline subie

• Local Mods
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide.
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2013, 10:21:45 pm »
Hendrina
Allegedly midway between Middleburg and Ermelo, it is actually halfway between Nowhere and Nowhere Else.

The Hendrina council gets ALL its income from speed traps.
The first time I drove through the town I obeyed the speed limit until I got out into the countryside where I started accelerating up to 120.  
Out  from his hiding place on the corner of a dirt road jumped the young traffic punk.
The "town limits" - and the 60km/h limit - is up to the dirt road, which for an urban city dweller is w-a-y out in the country.
(They also remove the 120 signs on the way out of town so you don't know when you may legally speed up - so you don't.)

When I went into the chief traffic officer to pay the fine on the last day for payment,
I told him it was the first R200 and also the last R200 that Hendrina would get from me.  
"I won't buy a food or a cold drink here and I won't put in fuel here.  I won't even PISS in this town!"

That was over 20 years ago.
I have kept my promise.

Same with that shithole Beaufort Wes. For many years now ,probably also 20 years. I made sure I spend no money ,food petrol etc in that town.
Traffic dept is main employer and main source of income I think. Never got a fine but been harrassed enough.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 10:22:53 pm by subie »
As time washes by, our footprints are all for naught

Offline aka.Goliath

« Reply #84 on: July 10, 2013, 12:35:22 am »
Holy crap Mthatha is by far the worst place I have ever been to. We arrived late afternoon and got stuck in some of the worst traffic I've seen mainly made worse by the complete lack of order and thought of others. My sister on her 800GS and myself on my 1200GS were stuck behind the Bakkie which had most of our stuff in it. We couldn't stand the crawling traffic so decided to go ahead and were a little anxious about the setting sun and the 60km of transkei dirt we were going to have to ride in the dark. We were heading out of town and were going to wait for the bakkie to catch up when we got a phone call from my other sister driving the bakkie with her husband.

Some low down, scum of the earth, dirt bag, waste of air, fuck faces had created a diversion by grabbing a phone from the car while some other twatwaffles broke open the canopy and start grabbing stuff out. It all happened so fast no one could do anything as there was just stand still traffic everywhere. My bike had started over heating from revving and not going anywhere for almost an hour. eventually the bikes made it back through all the out of control traffic to the bakkie. Where we found my sister in PEP buying cloths to make a plan for the stolen bag (the most important item that was stolen). PEP were very helpful and stayed way past closing time to try sort out all the shit. Thanks to the ladies from PEP for making the rest of our trip a bit more enjoyable than it could have been. We eventually made it out of the worst place on earth. And will never go within 100km of that place. I am busy looking at routes to take from East London to Sani and have made a 200km detour and extra night stay to bypass that shit hole
BMW 1150 GSA - 2004
KTM 690R - 2014
KTM 300 X-CW - 2012
KTM 530 EXC Rally - 2011 SOLD, KTM 690R - 2009 SOLD, BMW 1200GS 2009 SOLD

Offline hayleyscomet

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Always Keen to Ride
« Reply #85 on: July 10, 2013, 05:56:20 am »

ROSH PINAH in Nam is the KAKkest Town to spend a night WTF was i thinking

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2013, 06:00:13 am »
For those of you who don't know, welcome to the real world.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline J-dog

« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2013, 06:44:06 am »
 :sip:

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Re:
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2013, 06:59:56 am »
Garies Hotel

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Offline Pom17

• Race Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Cobus van der Merwe
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2013, 07:18:16 am »
Tel my oupa by die ouetehuis op, Desember maande en vat hom dan terug soontoe gewoonlik so maand en n half later. Doen dit al vir die afgelope 8 jaar of so. Hy word nou Oktober, 99 jaar oud. Nog kristalhelder in die geselskap. Hy gaan ook elke jaar so vir 2 of 3 maande Namibie toe. Hy het in die Suide geboer vir sy hele leeftyd. Dis gewoonlik vir my n "roundtrip" vanaf Pretoria. Het al n slag of wat met hom gevlieg ook. Hy het vir die eerste maal in n vliegtuig geklim toe hy 95 jaar oud was.
Ek sal graag langs n vuur wil sit terwyl jou oupa stories vertel.
In daai 99 jaar moet daar n paar boeke se stories wees.

+10000 :thumleft:

Offline Mev Vis Arend

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2013, 07:38:15 am »
Kamanjab.  I did not know that there are such unfriendly people on this earth. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline Pom

• Amateur Grease Monkey
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Ducati Hypermotard
  • Non bastardus carborundum
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2013, 07:42:44 am »
Jeddah and Riyadh in Saudi Arabia, closely followed by Cairo:o

Jeddah has to be the filthiest place I have ever seen, Riyadh is ultra conservative and run by the iron fist of Muslim law, and the people in Cairo have to be the rudest I have ever had the misfortune of meeting.

On the flip side Singapore is an absolute must visit destination, and Saigon is an amazing place :thumleft:
Success is a matter of hanging on, after others have let go.
Proudly Ducatisti

Online DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ChrisL .. aka...Chris Louw
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2013, 07:47:11 am »

ROSH PINAH in Nam is the KAKkest Town to spend a night WTF was i thinking

I slept there once at a place just behind the garage. Nice rooms and restuarant.
Best steak and service I have had in a long time.
Would I want to live there? Nope!!!
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Worshond
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2013, 07:50:48 am »
Very interesting how many experiences of places are based on once-off stays, sometimes only one night!? This is obviously very distorted.

I had the same sort of idea of Port Elizabeth, until my sister in law moved there in the nineties, and we started visiting. You have to really get to know a place before judging.
The wife and I found PE to be a city with well laid out roads, friendly people, and a RICH history. What architecture!!

Offline Offside

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2013, 07:53:10 am »
aka.Goliath
If you are heading for Sani and want to bypass Umtata, take a left at the Ultra city and head for Matat.
There is a new road with a pass that is well worth the ride. Very Little traffic and no big towns.

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2013, 08:10:33 am »
dar es salaam, purely for the traffic - it has gridlock at ALL times of day in ALL directions.

at most intersections there is a points-man who has NO clue what he/she is trying to achieve, so they let the traffic go for [i kid you not] ten minutes at a time, while the cross traffic stands still and compounds and heaps up for that time. then when it's your turn to go, the cross-traffic in the intersection refuses to stop, so you have to wait another 2-3min as your driver inches forward, experiencing some close calls whilst doing so, in an attempt to get his nose into the intersection and stem the cross-flow.

at the traffic lights that aren't manned by a points-man, this is even worse. sometimes the cross-traffic just keeps coming for the entire time the light stays green for you.

it's a total f-up!!!! traffic there makes our taxis look like saints.

it takes an average of one hour thirty to travel the 12km to the airport, but some of the guys i have met there says it's not uncommon to spend three hours going home from the airport in the evenings. some get out of the crew-bus and walk because it's faster, whilst others simply surrender and sit and read a book.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:11:36 am by krazy-eyes »

Offline jagter

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2013, 09:25:58 am »
Butterworth.

+1000

Actually the more I think about it, pretty much anywhere along the N2 between PE and Kokstad. The worst stretch of road for me. I can't stand it.  Every town is a bigger shithole than the previous one.

Unfortunately I do it often. Both my wife's and my families lives in Natal, so to get there from Plett it's the quickest way. 

When I have the time I bypass that whole area and go north around Lesotho. (Plett,Gariep,Clarens,Golden gate, N3) double the distance, but half the aggravation, and 10 times the scenery.

Offline SOMMERNET

• Puppy
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
  • My first wheels-R150.00 Beers were 17c...Texan 19c
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2013, 09:30:14 am »
Home !
Fuck...I will not bore you with the story when I came home with a second new bike in 1 month..... :xxbah:
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:31:26 am by SOMMERNET »

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2013, 09:32:04 am »
This might ruffle a few feathers but I can't say I like Bethlehem very much either....

My dad stays there but when we visit him we usually stay at his "strandhuis" in Paul Roux. We teased him when he wanted to buy a place in Paul Roux but that dorpie is heaven on earth for me. Lekker rustig and all we do is kuier and talk k@k.

But Bethlehem..... Eish... I don't smaak that place at all.

Offline BENJI

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2013, 09:41:41 am »
Alice in the Eastern Cape.