Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Will KTM now stock Husqvarna spares ?  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Rough Rider

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Hang time
Re: Will KTM now stock Husqvarna spares ?
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2013, 09:21:25 am »
  Take your clutch cable to Cableman or similar firm - will make up 2 or 3 for price of a new one.
My clutch cable is too long, I think it is allready aftermarket. Can anyone confirm what the stock length of the cable must be ?

Just order a new cable from Primrose, they are not too expensive. I have had a couple of bad experiences making up new cables, especially if you use the original sheath.

BTW you don't have to drive to JHB, they will pop it in the mail for you for an extra couple of bucks.
Current rides: 2015 WR250F / 2016 690R / 2017 701SM

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 09:22:39 am »
Yes I rerouted the cable and could barely pull the clutch in, it seems they are finicky on the correct setup.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2013, 09:24:59 am »
When I first got my bike I re-routed the cable and have had no drama with it.

I have a spare cable, and of course Murphys law says that the cable would have broken a long time ago if I had not being carrying a spare  :laughing4:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 09:26:08 am by Rough Rider »

Offline BiG DoM

• A Grahamstown Greyhound!
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • License Plates: GSpot EC and HUSKY EC
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
  Take your clutch cable to Cableman or similar firm - will make up 2 or 3 for price of a new one.
My clutch cable is too long, I think it is allready aftermarket. Can anyone confirm what the stock length of the cable must be ?

Just order a new cable from Primrose, they are not too expensive. I have had a couple of bad experiences making up new cables, especially if you use the original sheath.

BTW you don't have to drive to JHB, they will pop it in the mail for you for an extra couple of bucks.

I have also bought one from Primrose but wanted a longer one (and also that would last better - Husky OEM cables to not have the best reputation). Cable Man here in PE made complete with new fittings - they should never use the old sheath! They can also slightly upgrade the cable gauge for better life.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Scoots: BMW HP2E  Husky 701E  BMW R100S

:ricky:

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 09:29:14 am »

I have also bought one from Primrose but wanted a longer one (and also that would last better - Husky OEM cables to not have the best reputation). Cable Man here in PE made complete with new fittings - they should never use the old sheath! They can also slightly upgrade the cable gauge for better life.

I have only ever had them reworked using the original sheath; so good to know, thanks BiG DoM  :thumleft:

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2013, 09:38:14 am »

I have a spare cable, and of course Murphys law says that the cable would have broken a long time ago if I had not being carrying a spare  :laughing4:

Two issues with the 610 cable are - Firstly there is play/slop at the ferule where it leaves the lever. The ferule is a different OD to the recess in the lever. This means the cable often does not exit straight/parallel and there is unnecessary friction at this point (inevitably where it fails). Fix is to sleeve the outside of the ferule with a small strip of copper or alu from a tin can. Secondly at the bottom of the cable where it aims at the actuator arm and adjuster is bolted - the angle is often also off here (again creating a less than perfect approach angle for the cable and friction). Fix is to either remove and tweak the bracket angle or even file the slotted groove. You will find that if the routing and these two issues are addressed the pull is way smoother and lighter and cables will last better.  :thumleft:

Another good trick, especially if on a long trip or enduro, is to tape the spare cable in place alongside the existing cable. Makes for quick swop.
"Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle" - Hunter S. Thompson

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2013, 09:53:14 am »

I routed it it to follow the throttle cables, over and front of the handlebars and forks. Looked much better unfortunetly not even a gorilla in his prime could have operated that clutch. Think the sleeve I have now is toast anyway.
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2013, 09:57:09 am »

I routed it it to follow the throttle cables, over and front of the handlebars and forks. Looked much better unfortunetly not even a gorilla in his prime could have operated that clutch. Think the sleeve I have now is toast anyway.

Have you seen those clutch cable gearbox thingies (not sure what they are called) that reduce the amount of force required to pull the clutch lever?

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2013, 10:23:13 am »
 Only ever seen pictures of them. At one stage I considered an hydraulic conversion but really once one has a decent cable and routing it  is fine IMHO. Sidetrack - I think a new well lubed cable will surprise you.  :3some:

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 10:27:12 am »
Only ever seen pictures of them. At one stage I considered an hydraulic conversion but really once one has a decent cable and routing it  is fine IMHO. Sidetrack - I think a new well lubed cable will surprise you.  :3some:

One thing I don't really like is the stiffness of the throttle pull; I am not sure if this is just my bike or if all 610's are like that.

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 10:47:08 am »

One thing I don't really like is the stiffness of the throttle pull; I am not sure if this is just my bike or if all 610's are like that.
Mine is about the same as all other FCR carbed bikes
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 10:48:33 am »

Mine is about the same as all other FCR carbed bikes

Mine is an EFI model.

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 11:13:49 am »
When I first got the bike, the clutch cable was routed on top of the handle bars, underneath the bar clamps. 

It snapped quite soon, due to friction at the clutch lever.

Blazes advised routing it underneath the bars, but still under the bar clamps - I did that and the cable then lined up a lot better with the lever post.

I also lubed the cable (which I hadn't done before), as well as dab a spot of grease on the round lug that sits in the lever, especially where the cable terminates into that lug.

Since then no issues!  The clutch pull is quite light - easily doable with two fingers.  When it starts feeling stiff again, every now and again, I just lube it, only needs a few drops of oil.

My throttle doesn't feel stiff at all.  But since I've started lubing the clutch I generally lube the throttle cables at the same time.

I had the old snapped cable re-done by Cable Man (not sure what they did exactly) and I carry that in back pack as a spare, so far havent needed it - I suppose that means its going snap on my next ride  :P.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.

Offline BiG DoM

• Bachelor Dog
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 11:23:44 am »

Ja mine not stiff at all  - but then I picked up a nice billet tube on HC early on and swopped,it out. Most often it is the tube that needs lubing but could also be cables.

Offline Rough Rider

• Hang time
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 11:31:00 am »

Ja mine not stiff at all  - but then I picked up a nice billet tube on HC early on and swopped,it out. Most often it is the tube that needs lubing but could also be cables.

I was under the impression that the throttle body was fitted with stiff spring.

Offline MartV

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 01:15:32 pm »
RULE OF THE GAME!!Do not buy into Brands/product where there is not a big market.This applies to buying into cars as well.Always buy into a product that you know that you can sell onto someone else afterwards.Its always worked for me.eg:KTM,BMW,Honda etc

:)
I had Husky's for 7 years, off roads, and in all that time never sat in the shop with no replacement parts from Primrose so that is short sited on your side, at the end of the day it's the dealer that makes it work or not, of course this will influence the brand name here in s.a Primrose held the dealership with no distributors for to long way back in the day and that hampered national sales same time when Butch was doing the same with KTM, look how that went.,Husky THE BIKE WAS/IS GOOD, REPUTATION BAD BUT 2013 HAS BEEN A BIG TURN AROUND, exposure better than when BMW had them, my experience was a good one, I think good things will come with this new partnership.  :ricky: :laughing4: :deal:
KTM 990 07
Husaburg 12
Have been
Husky 450 06
Husky 450 04 Cr 250 98 WR 250 93 IT 250 82 Happiest when on two wheels

Online sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 01:27:44 pm »
Yip is it really that difficult to appoint dealerships in at least the major cities ? They do not have to be dedicated Husqvarna garages but maybe in partnership with well known bike shops. Keep the parts in stock that are changed on a regular basis (filters, cables, clutch components, brake pads etc.) Took me 5 min to google a site which had all the Husky part numbers and microfiches. Give these garages a copy of that, will make it much easier for everyone involved.

Or stockpile your spares when ordering from overseas .......... Blazes I hear you have a clutch cable in your garage  :biggrin:
J.R.R Tolkien

Offline Lady Luck

« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 01:32:02 pm »
8000 A6087 here is the part number for the orig cable, and yes the owner of Husqvarna Centurion will not stand for the bad service that you were given.

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 04:32:52 pm »
Yip is it really that difficult to appoint dealerships in at least the major cities ? They do not have to be dedicated Husqvarna garages but maybe in partnership with well known bike shops. Keep the parts in stock that are changed on a regular basis (filters, cables, clutch components, brake pads etc.) Took me 5 min to google a site which had all the Husky part numbers and microfiches. Give these garages a copy of that, will make it much easier for everyone involved.

Or stockpile your spares when ordering from overseas .......... Blazes I hear you have a clutch cable in your garage  :biggrin:

I do --- come over --- made ones up after one snapped from cable man in Pretoria --cost about R180.00 same day service --thicker cable and made it 50mm longer ---works well and the clutch lever is light as a feather for me ----
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline alanB

• Vendors
  • Forum Whore
    • www.extinction.co.za
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2013, 07:26:08 am »

Personally I think SA in general is blighted with poor service in general. 

Too much "just make a plan" and not enough systematic approach to procedures.

Appointing dealers is easy, getting the systems in place so that those dealers are effective is something else!

So you get a poorly qualified, untrained, unmotivated person working on a system not even his boss understands properly, never mind him - but he's just expected to do the job, and if he stuff's up, the solution is to shout at him!

The mark of a good company is that the processes have been embedded right down to the lowest level, everyone understands them, and they work.

You can see that Robbie and Max at Primrose have been doing what they do for years - they know what they are doing, they don't need anyone else's help to get a you a part from Italy at short notice, they just get on with it.  And you can trust what they say.

Now if you walk up to some guy in some other shop and you can see he's not sure what to do, how to get a part number, has no idea about the bike etc etc - it says a lot about the whole organisation IMO.
Husqvarna '09 610TE - Great Bike!

I just finished a SciFi novel Extinction: Task Team, download the preview.