KTM640 cheap ignition fix, sans fotos, as always.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doerengone

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 640 Adventure
So it came to pass that my trusty 640 died. (she got me home first, but then refused to start again.....just completely dead)
I fiddled for a week, then decided it needed a new ignition lockset. (key and lockset costing R1,700 was duly ordered)

SYMPTOMS: When switching on the key, the lights work, but nothing else .....no cranking over, no dash lights, no flickers, no nothing. (Its like her soul had left, leaving only the headlights and a carcass as proof of having existed at all)

FINDING FAULT: Disconnect the plug on the end of the short lead from the bottom of lockset. Then take 5cm piece of flex and strip the insulation off on the ends of the piece of wire. Then find the plug where the lockset lead plugs into. There should be about 4 plug in holes in the top row of the plug, and one on the bottom row. Now fit piece of wire into the bottom hole, and the other end into the second hole from the top left hole. Instant light and life. (the dash will light up in that maniacal orange glow, the starter and everything else will work)

THE FIX: Loosen the bottom plastic cup on the lockset by removing 2 screws.  You will end up with the lead and a plastic cup with some hidden connection points inside. This can be opened up by grinding off the little flanges that lock. Then the bottom cup can be removed, exposing 4 wires going into the lockset. One of these wires had come loose. I popped down to the tv repair shop, where the friendly Nigerian wireman soldered it for mahala. I slipped him R10 and went home to patch everything back up and replace the fairing.

RESULT: The karma in my universe has been restored. The 640 still kicks her tail out on tar when gassing it around the corner. Life's a jol again.