how to setup your spray gun

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru-tom

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Yamaha XT500
Hey guys, i though this might be a nice addition to our ever growing DIY'ers section.

since i bought my compressor and HVLP gun, i have had mixed finishes. From perfect glossy to orange peel.

I have done a ton of research to help (along with that comes a ton of practice which will come with time). I have compiled a to-do list of steps to set up your HVLP spray gun before each spray session. The reason why it needs to be done each time you spray is, is that there are all sorts of variables at play including:

-air temp along with humidity (humidity is a whole other ball game, the colder it is, the higher the humidity and the hotter, the less humidity    in the air),
-type of paint used (1k, 2k, MS primer etc), hardener and or type of thinner (reducer as the yanks like to call it).

here it goes:
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lets do a spray pattern test:

1 - Set the fan width
2 - Unscrew (turn out) the material knob about 2 1/2 turns
3 - Set the air pressure at the inlet to the gun to the manufactures specs

attach a piece of paper on a wall suitable in size for the fan which you are comfortable with and one your job requires.

--------Pull the trigger (you want an ON-OFF wide open-completely closed in ONE movement in one split second and at a distance of +- 22cm away from the paper)

You should have a cigar shaped pattern with complete coverage

If you have runs:

- Holding the trigger too long,
- You are too close or
- The gun is applying too much material.

In which case you need to screw in the material knob or turn the air pressure down. But most likely if you have turned the material knob out the 2 1/2 turns and the air is set at the factory specs, you are just too close or holding the trigger open too long.

The droplets you see trailing off the center are what you will use to "tune" your gun.Turn in the material knob to make the droplets smaller (and or raise the air pressure). The balance you need to attain is the smallest droplet size possible before you loose the coverage desired.

Now, you'll notice that I said, "raise the pressure to the gun", while earlier I said to set it to manufactures specs. If you go over the 10 lbs all it will do is atomize the material a little better. But remember you have a lot of control with the material adjustment knob.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

thats all folks, i hope it helps us all become better DIY'ers :thumleft: i made a simplified version of it and stuck it in my sprayguns box for reference purposes when i need a quick refresher ;) the extra detail is just a "nice to know" on the whole process.

happy spraying ;D