Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Problems with the new LC  (Read 124800 times)

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
Re: Problems with the new LC
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2013, 09:26:48 am »
Latest is a leaking clutch reservoir, replacement ordered and are going to wait probably 3-4 weeks......

Is dit dalk die oorsaak dat jy (ons) sukkel met die clutch?

Ek het ook verneem dat die Karoo 3's einde Aug beskikbaar gaan wees.  :thumleft:

PS: Het gehoor dat die 2014 modelle uit gaan kom met 'n steering damper!!!  ??? Is daar dan fout.... Ek ervaar geen headshake nie, het gister Schurweberg gaan ry en geen probleme ervaar nie. Bande rondom 2 bar voor en agter, Enduro Pro en ESA op soft.  :thumleft:

Offline BennNevis

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2013, 09:28:34 am »
Leaking resevior in all probability means the sytem is under more preasure than it should be
My bike also appeared to have too much fluid in the system which was found to be caused by the rag left between clutch slave cylinder and the mounting seat
Tell tale signs are a inconsistent feel from cluch lever. Rumor has it that my bike was not the only one suffering from this
Jan Staal's bike also had a clutch disappeared on him...

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #102 on: August 08, 2013, 09:33:12 am »
Latest is a leaking clutch reservoir, replacement ordered and are going to wait probably 3-4 weeks......

Is dit dalk die oorsaak dat jy (ons) sukkel met die clutch?

Ek het ook verneem dat die Karoo 3's einde Aug beskikbaar gaan wees.  :thumleft:

PS: Het gehoor dat die 2014 modelle uit gaan kom met 'n steering damper!!!  ??? Is daar dan fout.... Ek ervaar geen headshake nie, het gister Schurweberg gaan ry en geen probleme ervaar nie. Bande rondom 2 bar voor en agter, Enduro Pro en ESA op soft.  :thumleft:

Why you are battling with your clutch might well be an assembly lack of quality control, refer to my clutch slave cylinder pics on earlier post, which shows a stop rag left between clutch slave cylinder and mounting seat

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #103 on: August 08, 2013, 10:11:55 am »
Why you are battling with your clutch might well be an assembly lack of quality control, refer to my clutch slave cylinder pics on earlier post, which shows a stop rag left between clutch slave cylinder and mounting seat

On numerous discussions between GSing and I, we both confirmed that we struggle to get a "feel" for the clutch. It is as if it bites at different positions, no constant. Don't know if the rag could cause this? Will check however if I can see anything wrong.  :thumleft:

Offline Slovac

« Reply #104 on: August 08, 2013, 11:32:43 am »
Elsie now has 900km on the clock... my issue with find neutral has disappeared, so I am putting it down to everything was just new and stiff.
I have tried various things on varying types of road (tar and gravel) to get headshake, and I have not had any headshake.  The conti tyres are great on tar (wet and dry) but are not too great on the gravel.
I also don't have any clutch issues.  The clutch bites and lets go at the same spots everytime.

Offline BennNevis

« Reply #105 on: August 08, 2013, 12:49:31 pm »

On numerous discussions between GSing and I, we both confirmed that we struggle to get a "feel" for the clutch. It is as if it bites at different positions, no constant. Don't know if the rag could cause this? Will check however if I can see anything wrong.  :thumleft:

This was exactly my issue with clutch not having consistent bite
This i believe was caused by the rag that creates resistance on the actuator shaft
Show your dealer the pictures that I posted and have them check it out
Odds are you have the same problem

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #106 on: August 08, 2013, 12:57:03 pm »

This i believe was caused by the rag that creates resistance on the actuator shaft

Thanks Benn  :thumleft:

Offline AntVan

• I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2013, 08:17:46 am »
Still having the issue of finding the bite? I do believe I know what you are talking about: it's as if the bite section of he clutch is "roaming", right? I've set the clutch to a setting now where I can more consistently use it. I also do believe it's better after the first service.

Thanks Benn  :thumleft:
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline stan1975

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • 3335'35.71"S 2440'26.84"E
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2013, 08:28:34 am »
My 2 cents worth... New models are great, new problems on new models now so great.

I'm sure BMW will get it right.... Eventually.

That's why I'll hang on to my trusty '06 model for the meantime and wait for the dust to settle before looking at the new LC.

IMHO our dealers don't know enough about the new bike... And I question BMW SA's commitment to backing up the product after the sale. Dealers are left in the dark taking flak from the customers way too much in SA.
Ride within yourself, think ahead... Plan your escape route & be safe.... Just remember no one else knows what your thinking until you tell them...

Offline FATO

« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2013, 11:39:01 am »
??? Is daar dan fout.... Ek ervaar geen headshake nie, het gister Schurweberg gaan ry en geen probleme ervaar nie. Bande rondom 2 bar voor en agter, Enduro Pro en ESA op soft.  :thumleft:
[/quote]

Nee man Herman, kan nie waar wees nie. Jy sal maar weer moet gaan ry totdat jy die headshake ervaar!  :imaposer: :imaposer:
Ex-Africa semper aliquid novi!

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2013, 01:51:07 pm »
Nee man Herman, kan nie waar wees nie. Jy sal maar weer moet gaan ry totdat jy die headshake ervaar!  :imaposer: :imaposer:

FATO, ek dink jy is reg. Ek sal meer moet ry tot ek die ervaring kan kry.  :ricky:

Offline Manic

• Vendors
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2013, 11:03:39 pm »
ek hou nie van wat ek lees nie  :'(
1250 HP GSA
H2 Supercharged
990 SM

Offline corriej

« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2013, 05:39:52 am »
An article on the R1200GS LC clutch issues in the latest BMW Motorrad magazine

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #113 on: August 16, 2013, 06:11:48 am »
Wonder of daai olie ooit in SA beskikbaar is...
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #114 on: August 16, 2013, 06:16:52 am »

Dit is, ek het gecheck toe hulle my bike haar eerste diens gegee het

Offline lecap

« Reply #115 on: August 16, 2013, 02:09:10 pm »
Only BMW approved oils for BMW bikes ::) Pathetic!

Jens Staebe pulls some old F650 (Funduro?) story out of his sleeve. Someone probably used a car engine oil with friction modifiers in the Funduro and was all surprised that it did not work like previously on the dry clutch longitudinal inline K's and Airheads ::)

I think the dude needs a reality check. We live in the 21st century now and have JASO MA spec oils which are formulated to work in wet clutch unit design bike engines.
If the other excellent JASO MA compliant products which work just fine in all Japanese & other European bike engines don't work in the new BMW then they can keep it, the wonderful "Bike of the year".
BMW blames it on the oil whilst "investigating further" (=let the customer do the beta testing ::) ) Pfffft!

I was quite curious what BMW will come up with when the first rumors of the watercooled boxer surfaced.
I must say I'm disappointed.
Both the F800 Parallel twin as well as the Rotax Single IMHO got off the starting block much better.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2013, 05:11:39 pm »
Absolutely unbelievable and as LeCap indicated ..... pathetic
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline GG

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • G Spot
« Reply #117 on: August 16, 2013, 05:36:31 pm »
Whitewash from BM flip exact same issue I had on the one I rode in Spain.  One wonders how the new owners will feel when they sell their new bikes and people say "no sorry don't want that model, that was pre fixing the steering damper, clutch, gearbox etc"  Oh fine my resale has just plummeted don't worry BM i'll bite the bullet!!!!

Offline Slovac

« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2013, 02:33:37 pm »

Dit is, ek het gecheck toe hulle my bike haar eerste diens gegee het

Dit is ja .... maar kos R1000 vir 4 liter.  not for the faint hearted  :thumleft:

Offline lecap

« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2013, 03:49:13 pm »
Now I ask you a question:
I sell an engine oil with the exact same spec (SAE 5W40 synthetic ester base stock, JASO MA compliant) for R 288 for 4 litres.
Do you think it costs R 712 more to make four litres of the Castrol stuff?
Is Castrol pocketing the R712?
Is BMW pocketing the R712?
Do Castrol and BMW share the R712 and have a good laugh after you paid & left?
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)