Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Problems with the new LC  (Read 122092 times)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Problems with the new LC
« on: July 14, 2013, 10:59:26 am »
Thought I'd post this here as an advisory!

The chaps here in the UK are having serious problems with some of the new LC's.

One bloke's only had the bike for a few weeks............... and already listed the following:

1- The clutch is fooked and drags gearbox clunks thro changes. (Needs a new updated Driveshaft)
2- rear pads are down to metal @ 3k
3- The rear drive gaitor is holed
4- The vario's don't fit because rear subframe is out of tolerance the dealers benhams told me to modify the vario's to fit as I was going to Austria 2 days after I got the vario's and so the vario's had the plastic brackets trimmed down (these unbolt so can be replaced) the dealer said they will sort out on return.

SO - he even tried to Trade-the-bike-In on another model and the BMW dealer asked him why he was trading the bike..... when he mentioned the issues - the dealership refused the trade-in stating that they themselves would not be able to repair or re-sell the bike due to the Spares shortage from BMW!

BE WARNED chaps - a new model normally means a host of new problems where you'll be acting Guinea Pigs for the manufacturer!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK - research what you're buying and make sure you understand what's being offered - and set a precedent with your dealership when buying..... DO NOT SIGN the document of acceptance of the vehicle (it's normally slipped in somewhere where you sign something to the effect that says "I have received the vehicle in a good and satisfactory condition)  . this document is what you sign AFTER you have taken delivery of the vehicle and had a chance to inspect and ride it - not BEFORE you've even ridden or driven it out of the dealership!

Some reading here:

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343906

(although there's a post that seems the issue was resolved - on page one - read the whole post first and then check out the "resolved" one which opened another massive can of worms!)

THIS is not a BMW bashing - I still love my GSA and will be buying another when back in SA.... however just be aware of what you're buying and the problems and issues that you're taking on with your new pride & joy!

"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
Re: Problems with the new LC
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 11:30:37 am »
Love these bikes but a bit disappointed to read this from a well respected brand like BMW. Not mentioning the tank slappers on the new model.

I must honestly say that when I bought my 1200 explorer some friends felt the same about a new released model and warned me. However, today when I look back at the 1200 marked with all the offerings I think I was just lucky and all other Explorer owners. Only issues were (also )tank slappers on high speed soft gravel sections because of a bad front suspension setup. 

I hope that BMW will come to the party and sort this out, at the moment it seems rather safe to buy a new 'old ' model air cooled Beemer as there are still a couple on the showroom floors

Offline Veldbrand

• Super Saaiber Slet
  • Vendors
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Hou die blink kant in!
    • Koedoeskloof Country Lodge
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:47:56 am »
Irrelevant what brand is discussed here I think it is bullshit that manufacturers don’t do enough R&D, short and long term testing and sort these kind of problems before releasing new models in the market and then make it the consumers problem to be the guinea pigs at their expense.
Surely manufacturers have an obligation to deliver on their promises first time?
They all just seem far too keen and in a hurry to get their bigger better models out there in the market place before the next guy.
Uncool!

Co-ordinates: S33 30.300 E21 10.258  http://www.koedoeskloof.co.za/  facebook - Koedoeskloof Country Lodge, Dwarsrivier, Ladismith, WC
Life is like hitch hiking, just when you think you're not going to get a lift, you don't.

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 02:03:47 pm »
Love these bikes but a bit disappointed to read this from a well respected brand like BMW. Not mentioning the tank slappers on the new model.

I must honestly say that when I bought my 1200 explorer some friends felt the same about a new released model and warned me. However, today when I look back at the 1200 marked with all the offerings I think I was just lucky and all other Explorer owners. Only issues were (also )tank slappers on high speed soft gravel sections because of a bad front suspension setup.  

I hope that BMW will come to the party and sort this out, at the moment it seems rather safe to buy a new 'old ' model air cooled Beemer as there are still a couple on the showroom floors

Geez, not this again.  

Please cite whom, where, and under what conditions the tankslappers occurred and how they were replicated. I can also make wild statements like 'There's a lot of people that tried to replicate the dreaded unsuccessfully.'

Second, where can one still buy an air cooled model right off the floor? My 05 GS was already cooled with oil, hence the need for a radiator guard.

Fix yet facts.
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline Jag man

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 03:08:50 pm »
Does the CPA not come into play when having these types of concerns in SA .As far as I understand the consumer has the 3 R's.         
And it's the consumers decision
Repair
Replace
Re-fund
If the product is under 6 months old.
Please correct me if not true.

Offline AntVan

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 03:15:49 pm »
Exactly.

Like you said. Unconfirmed (and therefore difficult to cite) reports say that the LC has had the forks modified in a post-production fix (for the first batch) that should stop the tankslapper issue (if there ever was one).

Switches are being replaced and there are new part numbers for these switches already. Rear brakes are being replaced with different part numbers already. These things you can find on the dealer's systems already. So, although the naysayers are signing their song, already, I am not afraid. There is never a good time to buy new technology, and with everything becoming more electronic the testing becomes more complex. I am confident that the dealers will handle things as they always did and replace / repair as required.

To give you an example. my 05 GS is fitted with handguards that, if not adjusted properly, could cause the brakes to initiate in non-assisted mode (the assassin-mode). BMW stopped producing these and the next models were without this issue. Unfortunately I only have a sticker on mine that shows me how to align the handguards but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 03:45:58 pm by AntVan »
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Online Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 03:33:43 pm »
Irrelevant what brand is discussed here I think it is bullshit that manufacturers don’t do enough R&D, short and long term testing and sort these kind of problems before releasing new models in the market and then make it the consumers problem to be the guinea pigs at their expense.Surely manufacturers have an obligation to deliver on their promises first time?
They all just seem far too keen and in a hurry to get their bigger better models out there in the market place before the next guy.
Uncool!

+100 ;)
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline AntVan

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 03:46:38 pm »
Irrelevant what brand is discussed here I think it is bullshit that manufacturers don’t do enough R&D, short and long term testing and sort these kind of problems before releasing new models in the market and then make it the consumers problem to be the guinea pigs at their expense.Surely manufacturers have an obligation to deliver on their promises first time?
Uncool!

+100 ;)

Now that, I can agree on.

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 05:19:38 pm »
All of the complaints I have read, on this forum, on Adventure rider and the British blog is, in my opinion from a couple of anal, narrow minded persons. My bike has now just over 1200 k's on the clock, of which I have done in excess of 800 K's on dirt. The new bike is so much better than the previous 1200 , which was the undisputed leader in it's field!

If you cannot afford one, save until you can, but do not make statement about tank slappers, and other defects, based on hear say and unconfirmed statements from people with dubious mindsets.

In my opinion, BMW is the obvious leader in the adventure bike market, with the rest playing the carch up game.

Please submit problems that YOU have personally experienced, not some hog wash from looser pommie blogs!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 05:26:10 pm by BikerJan »

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 09:32:13 pm »
All of the complaints I have read, on this forum, on Adventure rider and the British blog is, in my opinion from a couple of anal, narrow minded persons. My bike has now just over 1200 k's on the clock, of which I have done in excess of 800 K's on dirt. The new bike is so much better than the previous 1200 , which was the undisputed leader in it's field!

If you cannot afford one, save until you can, but do not make statement about tank slappers, and other defects, based on hear say and unconfirmed statements from people with dubious mindsets.

In my opinion, BMW is the obvious leader in the adventure bike market, with the rest playing the carch up game.

Please submit problems that YOU have personally experienced, not some hog wash from looser pommie blogs!

Boet - you're missing the bus here .... and obviously seriaasly brand-loyal.............  most of us that have come up with the issues and service are indeed existing Brand owners..... I've owned 2 x GSA's since 2009............ both from new - both bought for cash.......... so I'm sure I can qualify to berate the issues...?

This is NOT about brand bashing - I say again!    BMW is NOT the leader in this field at all ..... let's get that straight right away..........  this is about problems with a newly released vehicle that has obvious problems that cannot be or will not be addressed and resolved.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 09:44:53 pm by Goose »
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Online Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 09:41:00 pm »

Boet - you're missing the bus here .... and obviously seriaasly brand-loyal.............  most of us that have come up with the issues and service are indeed existing Brand owners..... I've owner 2 x GSA's since 2009............ both from new - both bought for cash.......... so I'm sure I can qualify to berate the issues...?

This is NOT about brand bashing - I say again!    BMW is NOT the leader in this field at all ..... let's get that straight right away..........  this is about problems with a newly released vehicle that has obvious problems that cannot be or will not be addressed and resolved.

Thanks Goose for setting things straight here ;) :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: Perhaps BJ just really had a Kak Day :lol8:
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline BOER!

• is 'n GS neersletterende
  • What's Updog?
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 10:05:34 pm »

The beauty of public forums lie in the fact that I can take your opinion (My bike has now just over 1200 k's on the clock, of which I have done in excess of 800 K's on dirt. The new bike is so much better than the previous 1200 , which was the undisputed leader in it's field!) and wheigh it up against the opinion of "a couple of anal, narrow minded persons"

My decision will not be determined by one persons' view, but the more people voice their views/opinions, and this includes yours BikerJan, will give me more information to base my opinion/decision on.

I like the new GS, I will most probably keeping an eye out for the new GSA, I will listen, read and evaluate all information out there, and then decide.  For now, I already decided I don't like the new KTM.   :thumleft:
My hart kom affie plaas, Waar die Wind en die Son en die Stilte my speelmaats was.

Everybody falls off. Some get back on. Some don't. Some can't.

Offline GG

• Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • G Spot
Re: Re: Problems with the new LC
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »
I've done 105 000 ks on my gsa, l love it with all my heart but bought the ktm 1190 R and won't even look at the new gs cause  bm are twassholes who won't build an off road capable bike, despite their skills in this department.   Girls enjoy your head shake and good luck with the excuses. ... Ja including a few bike gods who get free gs's .....

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 04:34:35 am »

Boet - you're missing the bus here .... and obviously seriaasly brand-loyal.............  most of us that have come up with the issues and service are indeed existing Brand owners..... I've owned 2 x GSA's since 2009............ both from new - both bought for cash.......... so I'm sure I can qualify to berate the issues...?

This is NOT about brand bashing - I say again!    BMW is NOT the leader in this field at all ..... let's get that straight right away..........  this is about problems with a newly released vehicle that has obvious problems that cannot be or will not be addressed and resolved.
[/quote]

Goose, I am not missing the plot. Did you personally experience any of the so called problems with the LC model? I have some experience with the bike, and I have not experience any headshake problems or any of the other defects listed.

If you read my previous posts on my experience with the 800 GS, you will realise that I am not so brand loyal as you might think, but want to know what other owners experiences with the bike are.

Sure, the new LC model feels a lot different to ride than the previous model, and has it's own sounds, rattles and rolls to which you need to get used to, just as the previous model felt a lot different than the 1150 when it was launched.

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 09:14:40 am »
Goose; you have opened a can of worms here  :laughing4:

No one has 'ripped' the new LC - Don't be so sensitive BUT do accept that all new models will show some flaws irrespective of brand and it will be ironed out eventually. (like the tank slappers  :o ......  :dousing: )

It just came to mind; If one is so protective and biased over a  'bike brand and bike model' the kids in the house should probably be real angels  :imaposer:

Sit back, take a prozak - relax and take part in the discussion about the brilliant new Oil,air and water cooled (identity crisis) HEAVY WEIGHT  Beemer

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 11:00:22 am »
Goose; you have opened a can of worms here  :laughing4:

No one has 'ripped' the new LC - Don't be so sensitive BUT do accept that all new models will show some flaws irrespective of brand and it will be ironed out eventually. (like the tank slappers  :o ......  :dousing: )

It just came to mind; If one is so protective and biased over a  'bike brand and bike model' the kids in the house should probably be real angels  :imaposer:

Sit back, take a prozak - relax and take part in the discussion about the brilliant new Oil,air and water cooled (identity crisis) HEAVY WEIGHT  Beemer

:laughing4:  no man - I'm not saying it's being ripped and I'm not protective at all............ it's about calling a spade - a - spade........... to me any bike or car - no matter WHAT the brand is ONLY AS GOOD as the SERVICE PROVIDER that looks after the vehicle.
You know you get promises of long-term warranties etc, etc,  which actually means fookall if the spares and service is not available... you might as well buy a lump of steel.!!

In my opinion - DO YOUR RESEARCH on any item/product that you buy.  I've learnt the hard way to research and investigate over & over rather than impulse-buy.... goodness knows it took me 2 years before buying my 1st GSA..........  but the Brochures and claims and advertising blurb was one thing and issues another....?

So the post was done to be informative only - pointless sticking my hea inna bucket and hoping things will get better.  :thumleft:

I'm sure that the LC can be compared to the 1st GSA's that came out..... 2006, 2007 SOHC had problems.... most were sorted by the time the 2008, 2009 models were released (lots of R&D and testing by brand-loyal clienst!) ......... then the DOHC was released and Vibration probs etc abounded - most resolved on the later models!
So the track record is there.... the new LC's will have problems - that's to be expected.  BUT the backup and service over in the UK is better and perhaps due to being easier with BMW-GA being just across the channel........... SA's a different story......... time is a factor and with SA being such a small market - I can assure you that as spares become available, the European, UK & US customers will be sorted first....   :peepwall:

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 11:48:26 am »
Uncool!

+100 ;)

Its what the market demands. You dont have to buy it immediately. You can wait.

Follow me on Instagram for my photos. www.instagram.com/hein_bence/

Offline Goose

• Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 12:04:33 pm »
Uncool!

+100 ;)

Its what the market demands. You dont have to buy it immediately. You can wait.

That Cappie is the crux of the matter...........  if you buy something that's just been released as one of the "early birds" or "must have crowd" - THEN you must be prepared for the hassles that go with it! 
I'd rather sit and wait and watch......... never buy things as they are released.... because the market demands a new release!   :thumleft:  Jy't die spyker op sy kop geslaan!

Offline Herminator

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • Never Go Full Retard
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 12:24:21 pm »
The problem with the cutting edge is that someone needs to bleed  O0
It catches my dreams when I ride it.

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 12:31:51 pm »

WTF  :eek7: