Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Problems with the new LC  (Read 120891 times)

Offline lecap

Re: Problems with the new LC
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 09:41:45 am »
...In my opinion, BMW is the obvious leader in the adventure bike market, with the rest playing the carch up game...

Oh my! ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 09:44:52 am »
...In my opinion, BMW is the obvious leader in the adventure bike market, with the rest playing the carch up game...

:imaposer:  my reaction too.........   :lol8: :sip:
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 09:48:40 am »

+1  :spitcoffee:

:imaposer:  my reaction too.........   :lol8: :sip:

+1  :pot: :lol8:
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2013, 12:13:54 pm »

In my opinion, BMW is the obvious UNITS SOLD leader (FOR A SINGLE PREVIOUS-EDITION MODEL) in the adventure bike market, with the rest playing the catch up game.

fixed!  ;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 12:14:43 pm by zebra »
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline Offshore

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2013, 12:33:41 pm »
 :sip: ;D

Offline T Rex

« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2013, 09:10:06 pm »
Will be riding my GSA until these probs ( whether they exist or not) are sorted???

Offline GSing

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Direct Your Adventure
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2013, 08:51:22 pm »
I have picked up a problem with my steering on what feels like a serious instability or headshake what every you want to call it. Try the following, close your throttle on about 80km/h and hold your handle bars very lightly. My LC devolps a serious headshake that quickly becomes a Tankslapper, personally this could not be normal? Have done a long trip over the weekend and had lots of time to play around with all possible mode settings and tyre pressure and nothing made any difference to the issue. All that I think that it could be is a tyre problem. I have the Tourance tyres on the bike with about 2400km on .

Anybody else experience this?

Online BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2013, 08:55:17 pm »
Will try it over the weekend and give feedback on Monday, if the LC didn't shake me off

Offline GSing

• Direct Your Adventure
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2013, 08:59:15 pm »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline HermanH

• Bike: Italjet (all models)
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2013, 07:39:29 am »
I have picked up a problem with my steering on what feels like a serious instability or headshake what every you want to call it. Try the following, close your throttle on about 80km/h and hold your handle bars very lightly. My LC devolps a serious headshake that quickly becomes a Tankslapper, personally this could not be normal? Have done a long trip over the weekend and had lots of time to play around with all possible mode settings and tyre pressure and nothing made any difference to the issue. All that I think that it could be is a tyre problem. I have the Tourance tyres on the bike with about 2400km on .

I tried this last night and this morning, did not experience this. We have the same setup on the bikes (even down to the colour  :ricky:), tyres etc (except I don't have a topbox, see below)

Also saw something about this on UKGser. The guy experienced the same thing, removed his BMW topbox and it stopped doing it!  :pot:

Offline Obi -Wan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2013, 07:46:16 am »
Thank goodness I kept my 1150 Adventure is all I can say!

When someone like GSing , who has owned and ridden almost every type of boxer GS, tells you there is a headshake you can believe it because it is based on experience gained over thousands of km actually ridden on various bikes . Now, is there a suspension issue, a design issue, a tyre issue ? Who knows ? Will BMW admit to this ? Wrong!!!!!!

Remember the lean burn problem on the 2006/2007 1200"s ?

I would like to believe that this forum provides me with all sorts of opinions and feedback which will not always be fair and/or unbiased or based on scientific fact. However it does give us food for thought and helps us to make certain decisions about what we will or will not ride.  
Real Men ride a Pig !

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 08:04:56 am »
If there is a head shake, leading to a slapper problem, then this is very serious indeed.

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: Re: Problems with the new LC
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2013, 08:41:36 am »
Sub

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2013, 09:08:23 am »
Been a while since I had a slapper
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Gryshond

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2013, 10:15:56 am »
I have had my LC since April and can report on the headshake issue. I have tested this on mine and am getting the same thing only less pronounced, I am almost certain it has something to do with the tourance tyres as it appears to get worse as the tyres wear down. I would love to try a different tyre, but these have only done 4000km. I am however disappointed in these Tourance Next tyres, even if they don't cause the head shake, they are very slippery on dry tar and life threatening on road markings. I have not really tested them on wet roads yet, but they are reasonable on dirt.
I loved the previous tourance tyres on my GSA but these new ones do not impress me at all. I will try the Anakee III tyres next, although I hated the Anakee I and Anakee II tyres as the front wore unevenly and caused the front to develop a vibration, and the rear wore ridiculously fast. The Anakee III however is a completely different tyre.
Regarding all the other problems so lovingly repeated over and over on this thread:
1- The clutch is not as nice as the new KTM's, that said it is important to check the fluid level as it appears that almost all of the new bikes have an over filled reservoir which causes the clutch to behave erratically. Once corrected it is a lot better. The gearbox has always been clunky and it appears it still is.
2- I have done 4000km and my rear pads still look new. The guy complaining may have had a binding issue on his.
3- No problems with the rear drive gator on mine or anyone I have talked to.
4- I don't have the vario's but we did fit a set when I was deciding whether to buy them and they fit fine. I guess the guy complaining may have had a factory fault on his.

Personally I love my LC and would recommend it to anyone who asks.

Offline Moto Moto

« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2013, 10:20:13 am »
I have had my LC since April and can report on the headshake issue. I have tested this on mine and am getting the same thing only less pronounced, I am almost certain it has something to do with the tourance tyres as it appears to get worse as the tyres wear down. I would love to try a different tyre, but these have only done 4000km. I am however disappointed in these Tourance Next tyres, even if they don't cause the head shake, they are very slippery on dry tar and life threatening on road markings. I have not really tested them on wet roads yet, but they are reasonable on dirt.
I loved the previous tourance tyres on my GSA but these new ones do not impress me at all. I will try the Anakee III tyres next, although I hated the Anakee I and Anakee II tyres as the front wore unevenly and caused the front to develop a vibration, and the rear wore ridiculously fast. The Anakee III however is a completely different tyre.
Regarding all the other problems so lovingly repeated over and over on this thread:
1- The clutch is not as nice as the new KTM's, that said it is important to check the fluid level as it appears that almost all of the new bikes have an over filled reservoir which causes the clutch to behave erratically. Once corrected it is a lot better. The gearbox has always been clunky and it appears it still is.
2- I have done 4000km and my rear pads still look new. The guy complaining may have had a binding issue on his.
4- I don't have the vario's but we did fit a set when I was deciding whether to buy them and they fit fine. I guess the guy complaining may have had a factory fault on his.

+1
agree with you.  I have the Anakee IIIs - no shake issues just irritating hum which is improving with wear.

Offline HermanH

• Bike: Italjet (all models)
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2013, 10:23:19 am »

Agreed 100%, love the bike  :ricky: :ricky:

Online BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2013, 10:24:30 am »
Mine has the Anakees III's on, I have not experience any headshake whatsoever. That said I have only done 1300 K's so far, with about 700 K's on dirt and gravel roads.

Will test the 80 Km/h shake this weekend

The tires do have a pretty loud hum though!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:25:45 am by BikerJan »

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #38 on: July 18, 2013, 10:36:51 am »

THIS is what I was talking about..... some people will have problems - other's not! 
Somewhere there's issues and BMW needs to have this resolved before it kills more people..........?

"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline corriej

« Reply #39 on: July 18, 2013, 01:16:35 pm »
Will a steering damper fix head-shake?

List of changes for the 2014 R1200GS

• The two modes “Rain” and “Road”, along with ASC as standard.
  • New “Pro” mode with three additional riding modes “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro”, including harmonized ASC and ABS as an optional extra.
  • Dynamic ESA can now be ordered separately, independently of the riding modes.
  • The existing five modes are no longer available as an optional extra.
  • Steering damper as standard.
  • White-coated coil springs with the option Dynamic ESA
  • Altered features for the package options “Dynamic Performance,” “Comfort” and “Touring”.
  • All options can now be ordered separately except for the on-board computer Pro.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/pcgl/pressDetail.html?title=bmw-motorrad-facelift-measures-for-the-model-year-2014&outputChannelId=6&id=T0143599EN&left_menu_item=node__2261