Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Problems with the new LC  (Read 120769 times)

Offline BikerJan

• Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
Re: Problems with the new LC
« Reply #40 on: July 18, 2013, 01:22:23 pm »
Will a steering damper fix head-shake?

List of changes for the 2014 R1200GS

• The two modes “Rain” and “Road”, along with ASC as standard.
  • New “Pro” mode with three additional riding modes “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro”, including harmonized ASC and ABS as an optional extra.
  • Dynamic ESA can now be ordered separately, independently of the riding modes.
  • The existing five modes are no longer available as an optional extra.
  • Steering damper as standard.
  • White-coated coil springs with the option Dynamic ESA
  • Altered features for the package options “Dynamic Performance,” “Comfort” and “Touring”.
  • All options can now be ordered separately except for the on-board computer Pro.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/pcgl/pressDetail.html?title=bmw-motorrad-facelift-measures-for-the-model-year-2014&outputChannelId=6&id=T0143599EN&left_menu_item=node__2261

My bike already have the Rain, Road, Dynamic, Enduro and Enduro Pro modes, are the 2014 ones different?

Offline AntVan

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #41 on: July 18, 2013, 05:52:32 pm »

My bike already have the Rain, Road, Dynamic, Enduro and Enduro Pro modes, are the 2014 ones different?

Just in how you choose the options and what is available at the same time. Don't worry...:)
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 04:27:06 am »
I have picked up a problem with my steering on what feels like a serious instability or headshake what every you want to call it. Try the following, close your throttle on about 80km/h and hold your handle bars very lightly. My LC devolps a serious headshake that quickly becomes a Tankslapper, personally this could not be normal? Have done a long trip over the weekend and had lots of time to play around with all possible mode settings and tyre pressure and nothing made any difference to the issue. All that I think that it could be is a tyre problem. I have the Tourance tyres on the bike with about 2400km on .

Anybody else experience this?

I have just read that the guys on the UKGser forum are of the opinion that this wobble is caused by the topbox

Offline Slaaiblaar

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 05:30:48 am »
DIt is ook seker die probleem met my laaitie se XR125, daai wobble op 80km/h moet die topbox wees. Sit 12 biere in dan is dit beter
 :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 03:54:20 pm »

• New “Pro” mode with three additional riding modes “Dynamic”, “Enduro” and “Enduro Pro”, including harmonized ASC and ABS as an optional extra.
  • Altered features for the package options “Dynamic Performance,” “Comfort” and “Touring”.
  • All options can now be ordered separately except for the on-board computer Pro.

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/pressclub/p/pcgl/pressDetail.html?title=bmw-motorrad-facelift-measures-for-the-model-year-2014&outputChannelId=6&id=T0143599EN&left_menu_item=node__2261

Yup, they are removing the Enduro Pro mode, reckon it is superfluous.... :peepwall: :biggrin:
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline AntVan

• I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 05:50:44 pm »

Yup, they are removing the Enduro Pro mode, reckon it is superfluous.... :peepwall: :biggrin:

Oh wow. Did not pick that up. Would rather buy the damper later than losing Enduro Pro
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2013, 04:28:43 am »

:patch: :imaposer:

Offline Slovac

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2013, 06:41:26 pm »

Yup .. I think it should.  The only time I ever had a head shake or tank slap on my 2011 R1 was when I hit 'n funny bump in the road below 200km/H... The electronically controlled steering damper only kicked in over 200km/H.
A steering damper is designed to prevent head shake....

Offline Slovac

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2013, 06:50:37 pm »
I have picked up a problem with my steering on what feels like a serious instability or headshake what every you want to call it. Try the following, close your throttle on about 80km/h and hold your handle bars very lightly. My LC devolps a serious headshake that quickly becomes a Tankslapper, personally this could not be normal? Have done a long trip over the weekend and had lots of time to play around with all possible mode settings and tyre pressure and nothing made any difference to the issue. All that I think that it could be is a tyre problem. I have the Tourance tyres on the bike with about 2400km on .

Anybody else experience this?

I have just read that the guys on the UKGser forum are of the opinion that this wobble is caused by the topbox

I will ask the guys at the dealership tomorrow if they have heard of anything like this... Can't really figure out how the topbox can be the cause... unless it is causing the front to lighten up? ???

Offline GSing

• Direct Your Adventure
« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2013, 07:05:22 pm »
Not the topbox, does the same with or without. BMW is collecting my LC on Monday for testing......

Offline Slovac

« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2013, 07:05:44 pm »
Found a nice clip about the head shake on the LC..... this guy seems to have tested it out quite well IMO.

2013 BMW R1200GS stability vs light steering

O0

Offline Slovac

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2013, 07:11:14 pm »
Not the topbox, does the same with or without. BMW is collecting my LC on Monday for testing......

Let us know what they say .... I am picking up my LC some time this week.  I am also fitting a top box and some other extras.

Which tyres do you have on you LC?

Offline Bring It On

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Shaun
« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2013, 12:09:54 am »
Found a nice clip about the head shake on the LC..... this guy seems to have tested it out quite well IMO.

O0

Interesting info in that video. :thumleft:
"Always Believe In Yourself"

Quote: "Riding a Bike feeds something inside us, that Nothing else can"
Quote: "I Ride because it can turn the Worst Day into the BEST"

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:26 am »
I see updates in the UK talk about same problems in the USA - bikes being returned to BMW and full refunds being given to people..... one bike not even 1700km on the clock!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2013, 09:32:25 am »
I see updates in the UK talk about same problems in the USA - bikes being returned to BMW and full refunds being given to people..... one bike not even 1700km on the clock!

:eek7:

Offline Jondu

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2013, 09:52:36 am »
 :spitcoffee:

Offline BikerJan

« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2013, 03:32:15 am »

I did about 1 100 K's this weekend with my bike on all kinds of roads, highways, smaller tar roads, gravel highways and jeep tracks. Road conditions varied substantially, did lose marble like stones on hard packed dirt, sandy conditions, very fine powder dust about 100mm thick, rocky conditions etc. Speed varied between 40 and 230 on the speedo. Did not experience any headshake or instability issues. I tested the deceleration from 80 km/h with only very light input on the steering, no instability at all

Please keep us updated with the results from the testing Gsing!

I experienced the following problems with the bike:

- Real wheel is loosing pressure, although I cannot find a puncture
 - The ESA button stopped working for a while, need still to find out why, probably due to the very dusty conditions.

Offline lecap

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2013, 08:33:43 am »

...A steering damper is designed to prevent dampen head shake....

Fixed!

Don't get fooled by advertising!

O0

All the video shows is the bike does dampen rider induced oscillations - just like about each and every other bike.

This has got bugger all to do with kickback & "tank slappers" which is induced into the steering by the road surface.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Gryshond

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2013, 03:45:17 pm »
That video does not show any problem, where is the headshake?

Offline COLES

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2013, 03:50:27 pm »

i think i will keep my gs1200 triple black for awhile longer