FIRST EVER INSURANCE CLAIM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spoedvark

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS Adventure
Tomorrow i will be testing the vehicle insurance claims department of my insurers for the first time ever in 22 years of owning vehicles!!!!!!!

3 rd dirt trip with the GSA, Have done Baviaans, Die Hel, Prince Albert pass, Montagu pass, 7 Passes between George and Knysna, 5 day lesotho trip including Sani Pass, Umthombe Kei and over the pont to Mazeppa Bay WITHOUT A FALL or INCIDENT on far worse roads than what we rode yesterday!!

AND THEN THIS!!!!! BLIKSEM!!!!! (I LOVE AFRIKAANS. SO EXPRESSIVE)

STUPID STUPID STUPID MISTAKE>

Guy ahead of me went across a cattle grid and there was a 5 ton truck waiting on the other side of the grid. I watched him cross the grid and pass the truck and then focused on if the truck was going to wait and let me cross the cattle grid first. So i took my eye off the guy ahead who decided to stop in the middle of the road just past the truck which i did not notice. I went over the cattle grid and waved to the guys in the truck that they could now go as i was the last bike and when i looked up the other guy was infront of me about 10 m away, in the middle of the road!! Instinct made me grab front breaks and we all know what happens then. Why i did that i will never know. I also had instant TARGET FIXATION and did not eventhink of an escape route.

Front wheel obviously gave way and i went down on the left. i went into the screen and the two pins at the bottom of the screen broke and the top screen control arm bent forward and the middle point of the screen bent in between the headlight protector and the headlight making contact with the headlight which proceeded to explode into many pieces.

The left lower crash bar dug into the ground and has bent bacwards into the cylinder head protector which has a few scratches and had the front nut ripped out the cylinder head and snapped the bracket holding it to the cylinder head.

I had one of those zip on toolbags on the top crashbat which protected the bike quite well and is still in perfect condition, except for a scratch or two.

My chest where it hit the screen is tender as well as two nice bruises developing on my left and right lower fib areas, left knee has a bit of water on it from a knock and my left thigh has a nice dooma and big bruise. My right index finger knuckle is pretty stiff, cant make a fist yet and my neck (Whiplash) is surely the most uncomfortable.

Fortunately i missed the other guy who i have never ridden with. So maybe i need to take more care when riding with guys i dont know for the first time of just WAKE THE #$%k up!!!! :'( :'( :'(

JAMMER JAS!!!!!!

BLIKSEM!!! MOER!!!!

Last pic. Did some TLC today, maar kyk daai POEP OOG!!!

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Pic 2 - Look how close i ended up behind Stefan!! Could have been worse!!!

Attachments

• july 2013 046 (480x360).jpg
    july 2013 046 (480x360).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 381
  • july 2013 047 (480x360).jpg
    july 2013 047 (480x360).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 380
  • july 2013 048 (480x360).jpg
    july 2013 048 (480x360).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 381
  • july 2013 049 (480x360).jpg
    july 2013 049 (480x360).jpg