Racing Dakar/ Racing in general : Why the attraction?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBull2007

Bachelor Dog
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
AJS (all models)
Yeah, yeah the competition, the challenge the adrenaline is great, but its more than that isn't it?

We all have our own dreams, but few people Step up and live them - Christophe Barrier Varju (2 times Dakar Malle moto finisher)
Dream Racer on Vimeo

Its not just about the Dakar, I think its same to a lesser degree maybe for other kinds of racing isn't it?  What do you think?

So....

xMM_161211_Zanol_5038-M.jpg

• How did you get into your racing?

Some of you are old toppies at it  
  • Do you even remember how you go into it? :biggrin:  
  • Do you have the same problem I do? Are you a racing tragic and care to tell us about it?
  • Have you ever considered racing but have been too scared to give it a try? [/li

What ever it is, lets hear about it.  :thumleft:

Marc_Coma__1-XL.jpg

My story so far.

First, let me make one thing clear: My name is Neil an I am a racing tragic. There. I said it.

I always admired those crazy people who raced the Camel trophy and the Dakar. There was something special about it. The Adventure seemed exciting and alluring. But like everyone else I got on with normal everyday life. It was easy for me to do that back then because I had never ridden a bike and had it ingrained in me that bikes were coffins on wheels. So I thought I would never be able to race, never mind do any full blown rallies.

Things began to change 10 years ago when at the tender age of 31, my girlfriend asked me to take her dirt bike. Dirt girls are hot so I did it.  >:D  ;D  And that how I started casual weekend riding on XR's In those day. We never did any serious riding until 2008 when we really started to get into DS biking and longer trips, first in Ghana and later in Peru and Southern Africa.

I always thought racing was a bit nuts, especially after breaking a few bones being a bit windgat on a weekend outing. I did enjoy the exploring part of it and the adventure, realizing that average people already around us started labeling us (incorrectly!) as adventurers. I suppose some of that sank in to some extent.

But it was only when I started to follow the Dakar more closely in 2007-2009 (mostly on the net) that I really got bitten by the racing bug.

Just after the 2010 Dakar finished, I decided to give a rally a go. So without any any Enduro, Offroad or any trials comp I went on a 4 day rally school in Nevada, bought a bike, prepped it trained like crazy and did the 4,600km Sertoes rally in Brazil 6 months later. Sertoes runs for 10 grueling days without a rest day. I just managed to finish it, riding with a broken foot for the last two days, somehow coming 8th in the FIM world championship category even though I was 35/75 overall.

It was TOTALLY awesome.

Life changing.

It was the best riding I have ever done by far, and I have ridden through a quite few very cool places.

I realize anybody can get to the Dakar if they really set their mind to it. - I'm just an average Joe. Ask Hoofseun: He saw me drop my bike more times than anyone else that weekend we happened to be at the Country Trax course in Amersfoort together. Its a very good course by the way.

So I guess I'm still just this average Joe who likes racing. But I've also realized its less about the skill, and more about the heart, the head, a healthy dose of sheer, bloody mindedness and some luck to finish.

So I thought I would have a chance to enter the 2012 Dakar but I quickly realized I did not have enough experience. One needs to do at least 2-3 international FIM rallies to even get in anyway. Good thing too because it a lot of money, and some people realize they don't like desert racing so much after 6-7 non stop heartache.

Sertoes_w_0061-M.jpg

In a nice kind of way.

Sertoes_s_0010-M.jpg

I've since put a couple of rallies (not enough really) under my belt and I still love it. Its all I want to do. Why? The adrenalin of flying along and crazy speeds does it for me most of all. But there are many other reasons. The great people, where the best and the worst riders are all treated the same and all suffer together. Its a camaraderie which you only get when people suffer together.  I considered entering in 2013 and a new job got in the way. I figured 2014 would be my year, but then I shattered my leg on Boxing day last year, and seeing I am still not walking properly and face another operation later this year there is no way I would be ready. What a dumbass.  :-\  Oh, did I mention I also don't have the have R900,000.00 one needs to do the Dakar either?  :imaposer:  :-\  Yip its expensive, VERY expensive.

But at least I do have the bike.  :biggrin:
k2-M.jpg

That's one big big plus. Nevertheless the Dakar still eludes me...I get very despondent when I think about that, but I suppose that's half the battle, getting to the start is a tough rally of admin, training, medicals and logistics in its own right. Maybe 2015 will be my year, how knows. I'm not holding my breath but I would love to go. Meanwhile I plan to do a couple of others hopefully next year if I can afford it.

1aj-M.jpg

Sorry for the long ramble, but I feel better now that I have gotten this off my chest. I cant ride right now so I am writing. ::)

What do others say about racing?

Some comments by people who have done the Dakar and how it made them feel.

Don't be put off by fact that this is a trailer, bur listen to the words. :thumleft:
Dream racer

Here's what some other riders and drivers have to say about the Dakar.
Chasing the Desert : 2010 Dakar Rally on Vimeo

Having the right mindset I think has a lot to do with how far we can go. Christophe filling us in on what sacrifices are needed.