Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: The Palooka Trials Rider's Thread  (Read 14418 times)

Offline Wookie

Re: The Palooka Trials Rider's Thread
« Reply #240 on: August 29, 2014, 09:49:39 am »
I occasionally refill with parrafin, Ride for a couple of muinutes to loosen all the gunk, then replace with oil. Helps a lot.

Thanks Grim,Good idea..... will try that on the next oil change   :thumleft:

You riding the regional on Sunday?
Freedom is not a place..... It's merely a state of mind

Offline espresso

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Mars (all models)
« Reply #241 on: August 29, 2014, 12:45:40 pm »
I occasionally refill with parrafin, Ride for a couple of muinutes to loosen all the gunk, then replace with oil. Helps a lot.

Is it ok to ride with only paraffin?

Offline Wookie

« Reply #242 on: September 01, 2014, 07:30:35 am »
Thanks for the input guys..... ATF is the way to go!

Zero clutch drag!!!
Bike now feels very different ride now as well. The motor seems to pick up revs quicker...  :thumleft:

Offline GRIM

« Reply #243 on: September 01, 2014, 09:54:44 am »

Is it ok to ride with only paraffin?

It is in the gearbox,not engine, so it is fine. Basically it is only a minute or to at low to no load, to dissolve & thin all the gunk, then drain well & replace oil. Sometimes it is worth it to do a second oil change shortly afterwards just to be 100% sure.
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Wookie

« Reply #244 on: September 02, 2014, 10:22:01 am »
This guy is NUCKING FUTS !!!!!

Offline GRIM

« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2014, 03:15:12 pm »
:)
Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline Wookie

« Reply #246 on: September 23, 2014, 04:21:45 pm »
 :imaposer: :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Wookie

« Reply #247 on: September 26, 2014, 03:35:14 pm »
Gave  the beastie some TLC over the last week...

New tyres front and back
New rear shock lower spherical bearing ( Swingarm bearings still good so did not change them  :thumleft:)
New wheel bearings ( damn those were a bitch to get out... think they were the original ones from 2004  :eek7:)
General clean and bolt tighten.

All ready for practice again tomorrow.

I now have a race number and there are two club events remaining this year so will be entering those in prep for competing next year  :thumleft:

Offline Wookie

« Reply #248 on: October 01, 2014, 09:26:56 am »

I will be riding my first club event on the 9th of Nov and just trying to get an idea of fuel and fitness requirements  ;D
Few questions for those who have competed in a trials event..... Grim, Sithe, Espresso?

1/ How many sections do you complete in the day?

2/ How many hours do you have to complete the required number of sections?

3/ How much fuel do I need to take along

Thanks

W

Offline GRIM

« Reply #249 on: October 01, 2014, 01:02:39 pm »
Where is the trial?

For Clubman it is usually 3 rounds of 7 or 8 sections.
About 4 hours,  1st round takes a lot more time to complete because you are walking the lines first. You should have plenty of time to finish.
I used to take a fresh 10l, never used more than a tank or 2 though. Small venues (manie mulder etc.) a couple of litres is plenty, Magalies or the Glen a bit more.

Offline Wookie

« Reply #250 on: October 01, 2014, 01:21:26 pm »
Great.... thanks Grim.

The November one will be at Manie Mulder the year end will be at Syringa.
Both are smaller venues but will take a spare 5L just in case.

Fitness is coming on so might actually make the 3 rounds  :thumleft:

Offline GRIM

« Reply #251 on: October 01, 2014, 02:10:30 pm »
Great.... thanks Grim.

The November one will be at Manie Mulder the year end will be at Syringa.
Both are smaller venues but will take a spare 5L just in case.

Fitness is coming on so might actually make the 3 rounds  :thumleft:

The first section will take 80% of your energy...
If you relax from the beginning you should be fine.

Manie is a great venue, can be fun after a good rain though.
And practice tight turns on steep slopes.

Offline Wookie

« Reply #252 on: October 01, 2014, 02:27:29 pm »
Thanks for the tip  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Been working a lot on balance and turns on almost every surface I can find.... so getting there  ::) (slowly)

Offline Wookie

« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2014, 01:15:49 pm »
Quick question....

Can we ride club events without having a WOMZA race license?  (can't find any details on the NRTC site)

There are two club events left this year that I would like to enter but don't really want to take a race lic just for two events.
Would rather apply for one n the new year.

Thanks

W

Offline GRIM

« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2014, 03:22:27 pm »
I don't think so, will find out if you can get a day license. That is only the next trial, the last one is a training trial, so no womza license needed.

Offline Wookie

« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2014, 03:27:00 pm »
Thanks Grim,

Tried post the question the FB group but had no response and not sure who I should be contacting to find out.

Offline Wookie

« Reply #256 on: October 23, 2014, 07:36:32 am »
Grim.....

Think I have solved the riddle..... found a copy of the race regs on the NRTC site and it says that all classes require a WOMZA lic for the event. A Club Lic will be accepted for clubman class.

I have applied for a 1st time (club) Lic with WOMZA lets hope they can process it in time.

Cheers

W

Offline GRIM

« Reply #257 on: October 23, 2014, 01:26:28 pm »
Grim.....

Think I have solved the riddle..... found a copy of the race regs on the NRTC site and it says that all classes require a WOMZA lic for the event. A Club Lic will be accepted for clubman class.

I have applied for a 1st time (club) Lic with WOMZA lets hope they can process it in time.

Cheers

W

Here is the mail I got -

He can take a license of R100 for the last event.  ( WOMZA website, herewith the link: https://creator.zoho.com/2013womza/bikes2014/form-perma/Womza_app/m8yK9HdFyddZ4CjQ0X54yqXv4q97nu1A7MRQHCGsqhzXGY7tPeJXAsZNHvCGJ5WekOk12XARbhfXvYRdn7D8FnfKdFWjBFuAJqTZ/  - and then choose - 1st Time Competitor (Club Licence) R100.

Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Fiona Jones
Sporting Manager - 2 Wheels
Tel Direct: +27 11 744 3007

Offline Wookie

« Reply #258 on: October 23, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »
Thanks for the effort Grim....  :thumleft:

That's the one I applied (and paid) for this morning and got a mail back earlier saying I should have my LIC number tomorrow.
Quite on the ball... :thumleft: :thumleft:

Thanks again.

Offline Wookie

« Reply #259 on: November 10, 2014, 08:12:38 am »
First trial attended..... Can't quite say "done" as I paddled a whole lot and fell down the same bank twice.
Also underestimated the fitness levels required in a monumental way.

First round was hard going and I was way to stiff on the bike. Had Grim's words ringing in my head about the first rounds sapping 80% of your energy and needing to be relaxed on the bike. First round took me two hours   :eek7:. I was taken under the wing a of two of the other clubman riders and with their assistance managed to figure out the line through the sections but we took a long time to get through all 10 sections.

I was pretty much toast after the first round but pushed on. Round two went a lot better and completed the round in ~50min.
Even managed to start relaxing on the bike. Riding wise there was a definite improvement over round 1's performance and even managed to clean a few of the easier sections.... still managed to fall down the same bank in section 2 though  ::)
Unfortunately by the end of the round my legs were shot and calves were cramping.

All in all awesome day out and some of the best fun I have had on two wheels  :thumleft:
Thanks Taz and Greatwhite for the moral support...