Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Clipped a mirror yesterday.....  (Read 6412 times)

Offline fredda

Re: Clipped a mirror yesterday.....
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2014, 06:30:14 am »
Like the other day I was travelling from Randfontein to Krugersdorp. At the stop by the big mine dumps to your left I was filtering through the traffic towards the stop. Its a double lane and the the traffic was backed up about 400m. Also on the left hand side of the stop there were traffic cops pulling of people at random.
So as I was approaching the stop there is this black SUV in the right lane doing his best to close the gap for me. He was so focussed on closing the gap and shouting to the cops from his window "there is a small bike driving here" that he forgot to move forward so moved together with the left lane traffic around him.

I think a lot of cagers think its illegal to lane split and that they will help to enforce this law. Others are just friggen jealous because they have to sit and wait their turn at the stop street, while I just skip to the start, collect my R200 and enjoy my day.  :ricky:
Current bike: 2011 BMW R1200R

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2014, 06:58:37 am »
 :imaposer: lol, he probably got his mirror clipped at some stage!

Offline cruizaman

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 07:23:24 am »
A couple of weeks ago I clipped a female (wonder why it is always female drivers involved in this?) driver's mirror in peak hour traffic in Sandton Drive. I was lane splitting at the time and misjudged the width of the GSA, although this was the first and only time it happened.

The traffic was stationary at the time, so I stopped and picked up the cover of the mirror that was knocked off and handed it to her. I apologised and told her to take my registration number and to contact me if there was any damage. She was very surprised at my attitude (probably also a bit frightened when I parked my bike in front of her car) and thanked me for handing her the cover. I haven't heard anything since.

Offline Hanno @ Mad Macs

• aka Hando . Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • http://dsadventure.wordpress.com/
    • Dual Sport Adventure
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 08:30:38 am »
I have clipped two mirrors in my 60000km of riding. Both were on VW polos. My handguards and a Polo's mirrors are exact same height. I am now paranoid when I see a Polo and make double sure that I have enough clearance.

Shop 2- 4 . Melcksloot Village . Somerset mall. Somerset West. 021 852 4851

Offline Lommies

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR600
  • aka Arsène Lupin
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 08:45:37 am »
I have clipped two mirrors in my 60000km of riding. Both were on VW polos. My handguards and a Polo's mirrors are exact same height. I am now paranoid when I see a Polo and make double sure that I have enough clearance.

I find that VW Golfs tend to "sniff the white line"
moenie sleg voel nie Hando  :pot:

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2014, 09:49:18 am »
In my geval die anties in die SUV's. KLR se handles is hoog en ek het poop scoopes afgehaal

Offline Hammerhead

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2014, 10:02:21 am »
Worst I have had was a guy in a black A3.
He saw me approach, then moved over to give me room. Cool, sweet!
BUT, as I pass next to him he speeds up and moves over, pushing me into the oncoming lane.
Gassed it to pass, but so did this oke (S3 > KLE in the power stakes) - all the while looking up at me an smiling...
Braked hard to avoid hitting the oncoming car and let the oke go.
Now I generally have a live and let live attitude, but if I encounter this guy again (hopefully in stationary traffic) I will invite him for a quick discussion next to the road.

Offline spyker

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure R
  • Meet the twins!
« Reply #67 on: February 11, 2014, 09:08:47 pm »
BUT, as I pass next to him he speeds up and moves over, pushing me into the oncoming lane.
Gassed it to pass, but so did this oke (S3 > KLE in the power stakes) - all the while looking up at me an smiling...
Now I generally have a live and let live attitude, but if I encounter this guy again (hopefully in stationary traffic) I will invite him for a quick discussion next to the road.

Dis net daar waar ek 'n moerse duik in sy kar se deur skop. Dan trek ek af en wag vir hom om te stop sodat ek hom kan blixem!
Agter osse kom ook in die kraal

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2014, 08:14:50 am »

Dis net daar waar ek 'n moerse duik in sy kar se deur skop. Dan trek ek af en wag vir hom om te stop sodat ek hom kan blixem!

Ek voel dieselfde

Offline Hammerhead

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Honda XR650R
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2014, 12:36:54 pm »
Well, afterwards I was quite pissed off at myself for not kicking his door in >:(
At the time though I was so surprised by his move that I totally failed to act - brain fade
That and the fact that I was trying my ass off not to die!

Offline ALLEN I

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2014, 11:22:12 am »
Yip some of those cage riders can be complete pricks, but in general even here in Gauteng they normally open up to let us pass, but ye agree you should of skopped the crap out of his car and then pulled over and then if he stopped klaped the kak out of him
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)
Born a Biker, Live like a Biker, Die a Biker

Offline odendaal

• Puppy
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2014, 05:38:47 pm »
Goeie werk om bereid te wees om te stop. Ek sou se gaan meld dit aan by die polisie, net sodat jy rekord daarvan het, want net dalk het sy jou nommerplaat gevat en wil jou so aanvat...

Net 'n gedagte...

How legal is it to do lane splitting? 

Otie on Tapatalk on iPad

Offline ALLEN I

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #72 on: February 15, 2014, 07:09:12 pm »
Goeie werk om bereid te wees om te stop. Ek sou se gaan meld dit aan by die polisie, net sodat jy rekord daarvan het, want net dalk het sy jou nommerplaat gevat en wil jou so aanvat...

Net 'n gedagte...

How legal is it to do lane splitting? 

Otie on Tapatalk on iPad

Have had a long discussion before about it. page back and you should fined it. And yes its legal as ling as 2 vehicles do not drive in the same lane
Biking since the age of 11 nothing beats the freedom when u out there on u baby. Been doing it over 40 years now  (that's life)
Born a Biker, Live like a Biker, Die a Biker

Offline ktmrules

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »
Yip some of those cage riders can be complete pricks, but in general even here in Gauteng they normally open up to let us pass, but ye agree you should of skopped the crap out of his car and then pulled over and then if he stopped klaped the kak out of him

I take it you havent seen the thread about the biker that got shot yesterday ???
Rise and rise again until lambs turn into lions!!

Online Bundu

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Super Adventure
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2014, 09:32:40 pm »

bad advice! people die being tough guys like this - rather just move on or become a traffic cop

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Grey hound
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2014, 09:34:32 pm »

I take it you havent seen the thread about the biker that got shot yesterday ???

I would like to see what the investigation brings to the table, if it is true that the biker of 'yesterday' was carrying a gun and assulted and threatend the driver of the car as according to an eye witness and according to another 'fired a shot' from his hun first...well then it's another story. And you don't m@er another guy in his car while sitting not true? You give him a fair change to get on his feet at least. I don't want to be the judge here with regards to the sad inccident.

However, although I am not and never have been agressive in nature I will stand my man like many a Wild Dog or biker. This inccident won't make us wheeners. Be safe out there mates!