Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Blinging my DRZ  (Read 2656 times)

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
Re: Blinging my DRZ
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2008, 05:01:58 pm »
Not at all, they only stop small rocks and goggas from damaging the rad finns. You need side impact protection. You must see how my one rad is bent from a fall before making my own guards  :o Tanks that replaces the shrouds also help. New radiator is R3500 a piece.
Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline growweblaar

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Somerset West
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2008, 05:42:57 pm »
No 3rd party crashbars available?

Does Touratech and the like only home in on big, expensive bikes?

Offline Poffmuis

• aka Newguy
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Rally rally rally
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2008, 05:48:43 pm »
You must see how my one rad is bent from a fall before making my own guards  :o Tanks that replaces the shrouds also help.

I only had a small drop wiff da dr and the radiator bent even wiff the big tank.  also make some protectors I must

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • T7 dreamin’ ....
« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2008, 06:07:15 pm »
My diy's from the pooratech thread. Works great and no overheating problems.

Little by little, one travels far
J.R.R Tolkien

Help make the TSAT a reality
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=241580.msg4325284#msg4325284

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2008, 09:41:23 am »
I'm still waiting to sort out the "grid" rack I posted earlier in this thread. In the mean time, I made a flat rack from 5mm ally plate. First, I fabricated some U-shaped brackets that I attached to the rear subframe, to give support to the rack. The middle bracket is original and is the one the small tool pouch attaches to. The top one was straight-forward, but on the bottom one I had to make 2 spacers from ally tubing to clear the subframe.

I then got the ally plate cut to size, drilled and filed the slots and attached it with s/s countersunk bolts.
Total cost about R80 and 4 hours work. I bought some 50mm PVC tubing and end caps, 4 s/s hose clamps and attched them to the sides of the rack. As per Topbox's suggestion, I think this is a better solution than having the tube across the rack and sticking out at the sides. In the event of a fall, they will not tend to try and pull/twist the rack from its mountings. The tubes carry all my tools, 3 tyre levrs, CO2 bombs, Pratleys Steel etc etc.

I then decided to move the ignition switch from the "dash" as I always thought it looked untidy. Found that I could reroute the wiring to the side of the headlight cowl. I used the existing bracket to mount the switch to the cowl mounting bolt. I then drilled and filed a hole in the side of the cowl to accomodate the  key.

The radiator protectors and other bits should be arriving in the next 10 days!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2008, 10:02:24 am »
Nice!

And now you also have two tooltubes instead of one.

Nice job on the ignition move.
I'm always paranoid about having the key hang off the side out of sight, so I took a lanyard and rapped it around the TTR's bars and hook it onto the key. I'm scared to loose it. Even if you have a branch or something weird break your key, the remainder will be attached to the lanyard...

Just thinking out loud - I don't even know if its in the way or and issue on your bike.

Looks really cool. I also like how you've added support for the luggage plate.
:thumbsup:
02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away

Offline letsgofishing

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Sedgefield, Garden Route
    • http://www.mikekaplandesign.com
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2008, 11:25:55 am »

I'm always paranoid about having the key hang off the side out of sight, so I took a lanyard and rapped it around the TTR's bars and hook it onto the key. I'm scared to loose it. Even if you have a branch or something weird break your key, the remainder will be attached to the lanyard...

Just thinking out loud - I don't even know if its in the way or and issue on your bike.

That did cross my mind - but I would have to ride THROUGH a bush for that to happen - it's in line with the headlight  ;D
May add a lanyard when doing the really "rough stuff" to be sure!
There is nothing you can do about the past and you can't predict the future...all you have is the now...live it to the fullest.

www.mikekaplandesign.com

Offline Eisbein

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Kraaifontein Plugspanner!
    • Music Ramblings by a serial hobbyist
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2008, 12:01:28 pm »
:thumbsup:

02/02/12 - RIP Glen - the Arrow of Elliot and the little man with the big heart that truly was larger than life.

You have touched us and left us better for having known you - even if it was only briefly.

For grabbing the moment and living the day It's been way too early that you were taken away