Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: You broke Dieter . . .  (Read 963 times)

Offline HHHusky

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Don't follow me - you won't make it !
You broke Dieter . . .
« on: December 16, 2007, 04:23:08 pm »
My friend Dieter (suggested Wild Dog name – The Sour Kraut >:D) recently became the proud owner of Grim’s old DR650, and it was time to put the beast to the test. Damn I love old thumpers.

All dressed up and ready to go, and after almost twenty years out of the saddle the plan was to have a very gentle introduction ride along some of my favorite back roads (why does this sound familiar ???) First part of the ride was along some beautiful winding gravel roads (this part of the world is unbelievably green and lush looking at the moment), and we saw zebra, wildebeest, and black-back jackal. Looking good.

Dieter was settling in well, so we went looking for more challenging riding along some sandy tracks, and after a few initial wobbly moments he quickly found his sand legs

Whoops… :o

OK, so sand is no problem, so we headed further north to go looking for some mud . . .

And found some . . .  ;D

And then some jumps . . .  ;D

And then time to test the ATGATT. Coming over one steep jump there is an obscured sharp turn to the left in deep sand, with a razor wire fence straight ahead. Dieter and the DR started shouting at each other about what to do next, and both ended up getting into a big huff and parted company. I was about 100 meters behind when it happened, and had the fright of my life as I saw the rear end of the DR shake and then disappear in a cloud of dust. This was the longest 20 seconds of my life, and when I got there Dieter was lying about ten meters from the bike in the grass.  :(

Fortunately both rider and bike were OK, but Dieter did end up with a badly bruised his left knee. ATGATT however did its job, else it could have been far worse. About seven cigarettes later he got back on and he drove all the way home with one seriously sore knee – respect! When we got home my wife gave him one look, turned to me and said “You broke Dieter . . .”

« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 04:41:54 pm by HHHusky »
Husky TE610 - (Sold)
KDX 200 #C258 - (Sold)
YZ250 2t (on it's way to OZ!!!)
Montesa Cota 315R (Sold)
The Roof - a strenuous hike the through the mountains of Lesotho with a 100kg backpack.  As acid rain falls on the leaves, And Mother Earth quietly grieves, These blasted pollutants Will make us all mutants, And our kids will wear coats with three sleeves.

Offline lonerider

• aka Jason
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Stellenbosch super-sluiper
Re: You broke Dieter . . .
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 04:35:10 pm »
Looks like fun!

Hope Dieter heals up soon, and that he and the DR can resolve their argument for the sake of great future rides...
[snip]
I do not think that dying is a good idea.
Living doing something that you love is a good idea.
Living until you die is a good idea. If living happens to kill you it means you made a mistake, but we are human, and humans make mistakes, so go for it, enjoy it, live until you die, rather than not living for your whole life.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 05:46:20 pm »
Ooops. Hope your friend and his bike is ok, and that he's still up to more riding. Looks like you guys were having some serious fun though  ;)
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 07:10:24 pm »
Good stuff!

Dieter. With the first one out of the way, it's all down hill from here. :wink:

Glad you are OK.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline SMD

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • s
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 07:31:23 pm »
All's well that ends well
There's always room for more!!!!!

Kev

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 07:51:23 pm »
When we got home my wife gave him one look, turned to me and said “You broke Dieter . . .”

Classic! :thumleft:

Online Doggone

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Fairlands, Johannesburg
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 08:07:01 pm »
Come on Dieter, pick up your pieces and lets go home!  Hope you heal well!!
"Success is not final. Failure is not fatal. It is the Courage to Continue that Counts"  Winston Churchill
Bike History: 1976 Yamaha Chappy-50cc; 1978 Yamaha RD50; 1979 Suzuki TS125; 1980 Suzuki GS 400; 27 years of bikelessness ; 2007 BMW R1200GS - 125 000 km's , 2017 BMW R1200GSA LC (Lowered)😁 WOW!

Offline sidetrack

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 11:21:20 pm »
Luckily the grass looks soft  ;D Could have been alot worse  :o I'm sure Dieter is hooked, sore knee or not !
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline HHHusky

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • Don't follow me - you won't make it !
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 07:23:31 pm »
After a very uncomfortable night Dieter decided to have the knee checked out at Olivedale this morning, and after some waiting and then x-rays and some more waiting and then some scary talk about surgery  :o  followed by some more waiting and then a CAT-scan and then some more waiting he was diagnosed with a cracked femur :( (eeeooouuuch!) He was also told to take three weeks off to rest the leg. RESULT!!!  >:D >:D >:D

Spirit however unbroken, relationship with DR apparently patched up, and already some talk of Lesotho early next year.
Husky TE610 - (Sold)
KDX 200 #C258 - (Sold)
YZ250 2t (on it's way to OZ!!!)
Montesa Cota 315R (Sold)
The Roof - a strenuous hike the through the mountains of Lesotho with a 100kg backpack.  As acid rain falls on the leaves, And Mother Earth quietly grieves, These blasted pollutants Will make us all mutants, And our kids will wear coats with three sleeves.

fire-ant

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 07:35:20 pm »
When we got home my wife gave him one look, turned to me and said ??You broke Dieter . . .?

Classic! :thumleft:

Yeah right. That the very reason for such mates - you dont need enemies  ;D >:D.

Kev

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 09:55:39 pm »
 :o You really DID break Dieter!  :o

:D Hope you heal up well and trouble free Dieter! :thumleft:

Offline Carnivore

• Longer lasting theraphy.. do longer distance travelling..
  • Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Port Elizabeth Old(er) Guy
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 12:37:52 pm »
YAYYYY!!!

(Sorry... it was just a little shout...!)

I am happy 'cos this sounds just like my own return to the saddle, even to the jeans and safety shoes!

'cept too that is wuz my buddie's bike that I tossed away, not my own!

He still loves me!

Go Dieter, go! Your countryside looks amazing, so close to home? Sheesh! That could be a reason to emigrate to Gauteng..!
Old, grey, crafty...

You can do anything if you have enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is the yeast that makes your hopes rise to the stars. Enthusiasm is the sparkle in your eyes, the swing in your gait, the grip of your hand, the irresistible surge of will and energy to execute your ideas. Enthusiasts are fighters. They have fortitude. They have staying qualities. Enthusiasm is at the bottom of all progress. With it, there is accomplishment. Without it, there are only alibis.
Henry Ford