You broke Dieter . . .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHHusky

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Husqvarna (all models)
My friend Dieter (suggested Wild Dog name – The Sour Kraut >:D) recently became the proud owner of Grim’s old DR650, and it was time to put the beast to the test. Damn I love old thumpers.

DSandscoot.jpg

All dressed up and ready to go, and after almost twenty years out of the saddle the plan was to have a very gentle introduction ride along some of my favorite back roads (why does this sound familiar ???) First part of the ride was along some beautiful winding gravel roads (this part of the world is unbelievably green and lush looking at the moment), and we saw zebra, wildebeest, and black-back jackal. Looking good.

DSthisiseasy.jpg

Dieter was settling in well, so we went looking for more challenging riding along some sandy tracks, and after a few initial wobbly moments he quickly found his sand legs

DSsandytrack.jpg

Whoops… :eek:

DSwhoops.jpg

OK, so sand is no problem, so we headed further north to go looking for some mud . . .

DSmuddytrack.jpg

And found some . . .  ;D

DSmuddypuddle.jpg

And then some jumps . . .  ;D

DSIthoughtIcouldfly.jpg

And then time to test the ATGATT. Coming over one steep jump there is an obscured sharp turn to the left in deep sand, with a razor wire fence straight ahead. Dieter and the DR started shouting at each other about what to do next, and both ended up getting into a big huff and parted company. I was about 100 meters behind when it happened, and had the fright of my life as I saw the rear end of the DR shake and then disappear in a cloud of dust. This was the longest 20 seconds of my life, and when I got there Dieter was lying about ten meters from the bike in the grass.  :(

DSsittingdown.jpg

Fortunately both rider and bike were OK, but Dieter did end up with a badly bruised his left knee. ATGATT however did its job, else it could have been far worse. About seven cigarettes later he got back on and he drove all the way home with one seriously sore knee – respect! When we got home my wife gave him one look, turned to me and said “You broke Dieter . . .”