Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I don't like the look of those clouds (A wet Loskop Dam trip)  (Read 728 times)

Offline Zerc

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Pretoria
I don't like the look of those clouds (A wet Loskop Dam trip)
« on: December 16, 2007, 06:45:06 pm »
Today Noble Steed, Tulip, my brother and myself decided to take a nice day trip to explore the Loskop Dam area. We left early this morning from the Engen Garage on the R513.

(Myself, my brother and Noble Steed)

On the way to Cullinan for an early morning breakfast we rode past the roadworks which gave an early introduction to some gravel. Not much but enough to get us to look forward to the day.

After breakfast we left Cullinan and rode for a while on tar before getting on a nice easy gravel road. The scenery was starting to look very nice so we decided to stop and take some more photos.

My attempt at an arty photo

Myself, my brother, Tulip and Noble Steed

After our photo and cooldrink stop we carried on and soon after this it started raining. Not too bad fortunately and mostly intermittent. After a bit more riding we got a nice view of where the road was taking us. It looked good.

After getting to the top of this little climb we had to stop and take a photo of where we had come from.

By now Noble Steed had had enough and collapsed by the side of the road. Actually, he was setting up his camera to take a photo of us.

Once he recovered it was time for us to get going again.

Pretty soon after this we arrived at the dam and it was nice to see that all the rain we have been having is at least filling up the dams.

The it was time for us to leave, unfortunately in direction of the clouds.

We then got caught in a downpour. Our original plan was take some back roads to Middleburg where we would stop for lunch but we decided to skip the back roads and take the tar instead. 60 wet kilometres later four rather soggy riders stopped at the Dros for lunch. First we needed a place to hang our jackets which then proceeded to leave puddles of water all over the floor.

We then had our hot drinks, followed by a lunch. When it was time to leave we noticed the puddles we had left under our table from our wet pants.

From the Dros we then decided to make our way home by following the R555 and R104. It was only raining lightly by now and by the time we reached Witbank it had mostly stopped so by the time we got back to Pretoria we were almost dry.

All in all an enjoyable day. If you're having fun you can't let a little rain get you down, the scenery and the enjoyment of the ride more than made up for it. And a special thank you to Tulip for taking most of the photos.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
Re: I don't like the look of those clouds (A wet Loskop Dam trip)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 07:07:04 pm »

We then had our hot drinks, followed by a lunch. When it was time to leave we noticed the puddles we had left under our table from our wet pants.

Next time use the toilets. It's free, you know. :biggrin:

Lekker trip! All of Gauteng is green!
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 - The next adventure
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 07:41:38 pm »
Nice ride. And keep those arty shots coming, it looks good.
Great news, my book 'Sniffer' has seen the light of day on Amazon Kindle!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N664WIH
Check out my website for free short stories!
http://www.leondekock.com/short_stories.html

Offline noble steed

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 08:15:34 pm »
Yup, it was a good ride. Thought this morning that the weather looked good.  :sunny: Packed in the extra tubes, and spare brake and clutch levers in the tail bag, made the wise decision to leave the waterproof linings for the jackets and the waterproof gloves, they're hot anyway! (There was still lots of space in the tail bag)
 :laughing4:

First part of the trip was great, up till Loskop. Had a few spots of drizzle, just enough to cool you down and settle the dust, could have ridden like that all day. Zerc's brother made a few comedic remarks about the clouds, we all laughed together and drove on

Tulip had nice opportunity of carrying Zerc's little camera, got to take many on the go photos from the pillion seat

And a few from a safe position next to the road

For reasons unknown to anyone else, Zerc's brother decided to head further off the beaten track. To abundance of thorns made him decide to join the gravel again fairly soon

Lastly, a group pic next to the Loskop nature reserve. please excuse the piece of grass which snuck into the picture. Camera battery went flat before we could retake it

The ride from Loskop to middleburg was wet, very wet, with rain on both sides of my visor. I'm sure anyone walking into the Dros bathroom of half naked men wringing clothes out over the basins might have had some odd thoughts... But putting those wet jackets and gloves back on for the trip home... Was still raining to Witbank, it was the most uncomfortable riding experience I've had so far! Felt even worse than -8degree midnight riding at golden gate  :sad4:

Glad to get home into a nice bath. Definately be heading back there to explore all the side roads we missed out in the rain.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 04:28:35 pm »
Green indeed. Looks like SA got plenty of rain. O yes, here in North Carolina they have a huge draught (no, not beer). Only 8 months of water left.

Hope it is not my fault bringing the African draughts with.

Do you spell draught like this, or am i talking about beer again?
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 04:59:36 pm »
Green indeed. Looks like SA got plenty of rain. O yes, here in North Carolina they have a huge draught (no, not beer). Only 8 months of water left.

Hope it is not my fault bringing the African draughts with.

Ja sorry Zonks - you got beer on the brain

NS, T, Z & Z'sB - Nice trip. Pity about the Rain as there as some fantastic routes out that way
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline lonerider

• aka Jason
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Stellenbosch super-sluiper
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:14:32 pm »

"Draught" makes it more interesting - windy, or a beer? Or windy from too much crap beer?

"Drought" is the dry one - and you can't drink it.

Only answering the man's question... :)
[snip]
I do not think that dying is a good idea.
Living doing something that you love is a good idea.
Living until you die is a good idea. If living happens to kill you it means you made a mistake, but we are human, and humans make mistakes, so go for it, enjoy it, live until you die, rather than not living for your whole life.

Offline Captain Zef

• The Ultimate
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Oudtshoorn / Mosselbaai
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 05:45:45 pm »
Lekker ride

Offline Tin-Tin

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 11:14:21 pm »
Lekker report.
Tin-Tin on adventure