I don't like the look of those clouds (A wet Loskop Dam trip)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerc

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1150GS Adventure
Today Noble Steed, Tulip, my brother and myself decided to take a nice day trip to explore the Loskop Dam area. We left early this morning from the Engen Garage on the R513.

(Myself, my brother and Noble Steed)

On the way to Cullinan for an early morning breakfast we rode past the roadworks which gave an early introduction to some gravel. Not much but enough to get us to look forward to the day.

After breakfast we left Cullinan and rode for a while on tar before getting on a nice easy gravel road. The scenery was starting to look very nice so we decided to stop and take some more photos.

My attempt at an arty photo

Myself, my brother, Tulip and Noble Steed

After our photo and cooldrink stop we carried on and soon after this it started raining. Not too bad fortunately and mostly intermittent. After a bit more riding we got a nice view of where the road was taking us. It looked good.

After getting to the top of this little climb we had to stop and take a photo of where we had come from.

By now Noble Steed had had enough and collapsed by the side of the road. Actually, he was setting up his camera to take a photo of us.

Once he recovered it was time for us to get going again.

Pretty soon after this we arrived at the dam and it was nice to see that all the rain we have been having is at least filling up the dams.

The it was time for us to leave, unfortunately in direction of the clouds.

We then got caught in a downpour. Our original plan was take some back roads to Middleburg where we would stop for lunch but we decided to skip the back roads and take the tar instead. 60 wet kilometres later four rather soggy riders stopped at the Dros for lunch. First we needed a place to hang our jackets which then proceeded to leave puddles of water all over the floor.

We then had our hot drinks, followed by a lunch. When it was time to leave we noticed the puddles we had left under our table from our wet pants.

From the Dros we then decided to make our way home by following the R555 and R104. It was only raining lightly by now and by the time we reached Witbank it had mostly stopped so by the time we got back to Pretoria we were almost dry.

All in all an enjoyable day. If you're having fun you can't let a little rain get you down, the scenery and the enjoyment of the ride more than made up for it. And a special thank you to Tulip for taking most of the photos.