Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Must we keep this forum d/s orientated?  (Read 2988 times)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
Must we keep this forum d/s orientated?
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 11:31:18 am »
I prefer this site to be DS orientated but not DS exclusive - It reminds me too much of the WHITES ONLY mentality

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 12:22:15 pm »
Hey Welshie

I believe your welcome to invite whom you will really...... seeing as the whole general wish of the masses here is to keep it DS, I believe it will go that way.

Overmoderation - if you feel it - speak up!

Undermoderation - if you feel it - speak up!

Good moderation - if you feel it - speak up!

I believe its been quite easy up to now, its been a really fun ride. But as the base grows, issues could creep in, and I for one wouldnt handle the smut of lewd comments from the lonely private places brigade. IMO, it just lowers the tone.

Anyone, I have faith in people here, and I think its cooking nicely.
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline toucan

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2006, 12:28:16 pm »
Quote from: "LiveInTheOutdoors"
... the smut of lewd comments...

mmmmm, smut.

mmmmm, lewd comments.
i'm not a complete idiot. some parts are missing.

Offline droffarc

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • Cape Toon
    • http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2006, 01:15:20 pm »
Well I was invited so I thought "Yes, must own a d/s bike and be introduced by a member (very exclusive)" and would have jouned anyway.
But my vote is to let anyone in but keep it DuSt related.

But you also should allow the odd SheepSh :shock: gger in for fun. I enjoy laughing now and again.

PS Too much of a good thing is not enoufgh!
http://droffarc.wikispaces.com
"..explore the beautiful surroundings via some of the roads less travelled. "
It is far easier to destroy than to create.
I came, I saw, I came again!
Biking since 1978

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 03:19:37 pm »
I'm a overly sensitive guy :sign12: and a bit of a drama queen, I know...
When I first saw this DS forum I thought: "Hell, won't this polarise us into two distinct groups?"
I used to hate the scrambler guys with their better-than-a-biker attitudes and was worried that this was similar.
Frankly I don't think DS riding is the only way to go and I don't think one style of riding is better than the another. I like all bikes for what they are.

Many of the people who wanted this BB think badly of non-DS bikers and I find that sad.
What bothers me is that the TB site welcomes all and this site is considering excluding non-DS riders. That is not catering for a community IMHO but rather withdrawing into a elitist club

Please tell me I'm wrong and have the wrong impression.

Offline LiveInTheOutdoors

• http://tigerr.smugmug.com
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 03:26:36 pm »
personally, I think youre wrong.

There you have it Drama Queen.  :flower:   :laughing5:

I for one dont think street riders are bad, I chat on my personal Gmail talk with them during the day and we are mates. I like people like Scorp and DaCat and Val and others from the other site as people and as riders, and have all the time in the world for them.

In fact, I have asked Scorp to include me on his sojourns because I have fun chasing his R1 through the twisties from Waterfront to bottom of Constantia Nek.

But quite frankly there was a percentage of wallies on the other site, IMO, who just werent worth the time. Their posts were absolute rubbish almost all the time (I know mine can be too), with no content and very little value.

I am pleased to have a locally based home, of ADVrider style, and I think it works well.
very minute is a chance to turn it all around - Vanilla Sky

>Mav... started gym. Officially at 95kg....<

Offline funacide

• Administrator
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
    • Mediro Business Service Management
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 03:29:20 pm »
Hi LS

If you look at the voting above, I think you will agree that most people on the forum want to allow anyone in, but to ensure that the topics are DS related. IMHO that is exactly what a forum is about, people with a common interest sharing knowledge, experiences etc.

In the car world, they go more specific and it is by brand
In the IT world, there is gaming sites, developer sites etc.

No body is saying one is better than the other just that they are different interests.

My 2 cents worth... :)
KTM 1190 ADV R

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • You said it, man. Nobody fucks with Jesus Quintana
    • Wild Dog Adventure Riders
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 04:02:59 pm »
The idea with this poll is to test the general opinion of the current members of which at least 80% seems to be d/s riders.  So far the general opinion seems to be to allow anyone but to keep the topics d/s related with more active moderation.

IMHO this is a democratic opinion voiced by the majority of members. Since this is a site of voluntary affiliation it is important to cater for the needs of the members.  Therefore thus far it seems like we shall follow the route indicated by the members as mentioned above.  I do appreciate all the input since we are truly still trying to establish this forum and are in the process of judging the mood/needs of the members - hence all the polls and fact gathering threads.

I'll run the poll till next week, feel free to debate the issue further and we do take all your points which are valuable and make a lot of sense.  The RoE will be up shortly which will state these issues clearly.  Rest assure the will of the members will prevail.

I think funacide summed it up well:
IMHO that is exactly what a forum is about, people with a common interest sharing knowledge, experiences etc.

Cheers
Hein

Ps:  We do plan a lot of future value adding functions and upgrades on this forum and associated website

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2006, 04:03:34 pm »
I enjoyed the barksa forum for what it was at one point and will support the new TB forum as well.

Nice characters and peeps there and lots of nice info also coming through as always but...

Pepper started posting today and already stands at 70 odd posts. Threads gets hijacked left right and centre. This after two days..

I personally am thrilled about this forum because of the DS specific stuff going on here. I learned a lot more here in the past week than at barksa over a 6 month period, regarding the more technical side of my bike and other DS related issues.

There is a need for a forum like this one. Maybe not as active but very type specific without being "elitists". I mean, all involved here have buddies riding road bikes and join road trips/brekkies as well. Toucan even took "his" guzzi on a trail yesterday!

And all is welcome to this forum to give their input as well.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline sidetrack

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • Beware the 250 roost !
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2006, 04:08:29 pm »
I don't own a superbike or roadbike so trolling through endless post of 240 km/h breakfast runs to the dam is not going to excite me as much as reading about guys falling at Koos se klip or crossing rivers somewhere in the Eastern Cape. We have something here we all need .... a good ds forum ! I don't think we are shutting anyone out, anyone is welcome to join and talk about ds bikes and related topics. If this was such a bad concept you'd have to argue that sites like KLR650.net and Thumpertalk are discriminating against other bikes and owners and that certainly not true. They are there for a good reason, gathering people together with the same interest and passion.
Little by little, one travels far

J.R.R Tolkien
Ride reports :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=134175.0 Penge's pass and the Old Forest http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=9421.0 - Orange Atlantic adventure http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=7514.0 - 805 km day trip http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=20260.0 - East Cape Bash http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=70199.0 - Two KTM thumpers head north

Offline Grootseun

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2006, 04:23:03 pm »
I have been looking for a DS site ever since i got my bike... I frequented the BM site trying to squeeze what knowledge i can from it.. which is not a helluva lot in the DS category. Methinks this site has a specific function to fill in the motorcycling arena, just as there are Digital Camera forums, as well as old fasioned film camera's.

In essence anyone capable of clicking a mouse can register and post on this forum, it is up to the moderators to decide if they can stay or not.

It serves as a portal for people with an interest in adventure riding.. after all no matter what you ride... this is africa, and it will always be an adventure.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2006, 04:24:16 pm »
Well, I'm glad this is being discussed and thanks for clearing the air everybody.

I'm suprised no one told me to "shove off if you don't like it" :wink:

The fact is, I do like this forum and thank the ones responsible for creating it

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2006, 04:37:49 pm »
Personally I don't like the 'shove off if you don't like it mentality' - I would rather throw it to a bigger audience and ask their opinion.

To use LS's line - the 'fit in or f __ off' mentality
It reminds me too much of the WHITES ONLY mentality

:brave:

Cheers
H

Offline macduff

• RIP
  • Bike: Yamaha XT600
  • Cape Town
    • http://gonnagallas.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2006, 05:07:22 pm »
i understand LS's initial fears.
We all spoke about the BMW meeting in Stellenbosch and were HORRIFIED that non-beemer-boys (or girls) are to be excluded. now that is elitist

i dont see this as elitist, but as mentioned before - an interest group. covering not a brand, but a special form of biking.
i dont know of anybody  who is a member of pocket bike BB. do you? that is also biking, but just a variation of it.

to date, we have one member (as far as i know) who doesnt have a DS bike, and is quite vocal about speed. yet he comes and shares and gives valuable input (to those that understand). i too value Catman and his techical knowledge... (have even had him on the phone when my hands were all greased up)

personally, i browse thru both TB and DS forums. because i can
 :lol:

one further suggestion. why not link this site to the Think Bike website (not forum).
arent we also interested in our safety? we might all want to do it in the dirt :twisted: , but i think the majority kms in our rides, are on public macadam roads - and this is where biker awareness plays a role.

my thruppence

Offline droffarc

• Cape Toon
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2006, 05:14:02 pm »
After all we are all bikers, we just ride a little differently from time to time. While I enjoy riding dirt I also enjoy riding tar.

The internet imparts information. The trick is to find relevant information without wasting too much time. That is where a forum has its strength - it is a collection of like minded persons sharing relevant information.

As long as I am able to ask questions, give advice, share relevant information and experiences with like minded folks in an open, relatively light hearted way I am happy.

I have noticed on other BBs that a Noob will ask a question which has been asked many times before. Some folks will andswer (rudely IMO) "Get thee to the search facility, GO!" others, like the folks on here, will (kindly) answer with a link to make things easier for the Noob.

To my mind the "get thee..." person is an elitist, the link person is helpful and serves the interest of the forum.

That is the way I see this forum.

Wino could have said "Get a garmap, GO!" but instead kindly supplied the map, with a smile.

To sum up, I maintain that we shoulde welcome anyone who wishes to use the forum and shun the ones who want to abuse it. This has nothing to do with what you ride and how you ride it - but what you want to gain from / contibute to the forum.
Biking since 1978

Oppad

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 05:23:18 pm »
Quote from: "macduff"
ione further suggestion. why not link this site to the Think Bike website (not forum).
arent we also interested in our safety? we might all want to do it in the dirt :twisted: , but i think the majority kms in our rides, are on public macadam roads - and this is where biker awareness plays a role.

my thruppence

Maccie

I really support the Think Bike principle, but not always the way it is practised. To quote from my own posting elsewhere:

"I think the basic idea is cool namely to make other road users more aware of bikes and road safety. However, I don't like the tone of some of the bikers who seemingly has an attitude of you're allowed to do anything because you're a biker but motorists should watch their step. I think they should rather concentrate on setting examples and showing other road users that bikers are responsible road users too.

I have a Think Bike sticker on my topbox but have often thought of taking it off when encountering arrogant TB postings. I dunno. It's a good idea but not as practised at the moment"

Maybe start another thread on TB or take the debate to the TB forum? Would not like the latter as I've seen guys flamed terribly after expressing similar sentiments.

Offline droffarc

• Cape Toon
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2006, 08:39:54 pm »
Sotkop, I, as you probably know, support the TB campaign but also have reservations.
I want biking to be as safe as it can be, implying that bikers should be responsible people in the same way that they want the drivers to be. I support your feeling that some bikers are arrogant and my participation in the campaign is geared towards promoting responsible riders.

The attitude of the few riders must be changed in the same way that the attitude of some drivers must change.

The campaign should be aimed at responsible road use by all, including pedestrians.
Biking since 1978

Offline KiLRoy

• A serious man...
  • Administrator
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2006, 09:52:03 am »
Hey sotty