Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Saturday 15th Ride NORTH or not ?Back Monday report.  (Read 618 times)

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
  • DON'T be FOOLED by my Avatar ----
Saturday 15th Ride NORTH or not ?Back Monday report.
« on: December 16, 2007, 08:39:24 pm »
Saturday , made up a small group of seven and left North for via Cullinan.

Toothpick. Suzuki 650

Kykdaar KLR 650
Lost Aussie KLR 650
Gravelhound KLR 650
Toothpick's other half BMW 1200
Gryshond Suzuki
Myself BMW 650 Dakar.

We took the roads that i knew would not have too much mud. Rained like mad the night before in the east.
Disaster plus minus 20km out. 1200 BMW( Toothpick's other half) broke four spokes and lost 4 on his front wheel. EINA. ( Need to talk to Jan Staal.) Teach the BMW guys to ride OVER the rocks and not into them. Jammer Tinus. Toothpick and her hubby retired and wobbled back home.. Later Gravelhound ran out of road on a corner and decided to test his new crash bars on his KLR when falling. They seem to work well except for the ding in the tank. Mystery to all of us how it got there. Stopped at Cullinan for breakfast and then headed NORTH.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:25:16 pm by blazes »
People DON'T Change --we just get to know them better
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
Re: Saturday 15th Ride NORTH or not ?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 08:56:42 pm »
Now that the remaining 5 WD's were fed and watered we left to Warmbaths . Little did we know what awaited us. To be WATERED Again, but this time by the rain. Lucky Gryshond who departed just before we entered the Limpopo Province. Said he was suffereing from a serious Headache.( Another Word for BABBELAS.) Saw some Giraffe , Eland, Waterbuck Bontebok Ostrich, Warthog, Njala and Lilac Breasted Rollers on the way. Hit the EYE of the storm and that was the end of the Photos. After all and all we had a good day. Well done all. Those KLRs allways seem to be with at the end of a ride no matter how many nuts and bolts the shed along the way. Lost Aussie and Gravelhound both had Eina left shoulders from tumbles and picking up their bikes in the mud. Four wet WD'S then left for home to EAT and talk K@rk. The rain was actually cool and enjoyable and made one feel alive. Amazing how far one can come by spending TIME in the saddle. Today we rode areas Kykdaar found tough a few months ago and today he rode them in pouring rain and mud in awful conditions.
Current Scooters --

Husqvarna TE 610 --Best Small DS Bike ever --Had two -- Dakota Just bought the one --
Aprilla 750 Dorsodura another DD Another Project Bike in the making 2012 model - Conceived To Thrill  Husqvarna 634 SMR Factory Works Replica --One of 100 in the World -ORGASMIC -  SOLD -To the USA

Offline Kykdaar

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zundapp (all models)
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 08:43:18 am »
Great ride Blazes.amazing how quick the weather can turn sand into mud.only fear of falling without crasbars kept me upright.

Offline Toothpick

• Bike: Suzuki DR 750S
  • Pretoria - Gauteng DR650SE
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 10:48:29 am »
Thanx Blazes, our first ride was short but SWEET!!!
You guys are the best, thanx to everybody who made the ride so memorable, it was GOOD!!
NAUGHTY! . . . . BUT NICE!!!

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 07:20:56 pm »
Next Time.
Went back that way today.( Monday 17th) Cloudy and cool. Had one patch with a bit of rain but we decided to ride through it and take a new route up North just for fun. Splash and myself left at 7.30 am We omitted the sections i knew where the Mud Monster would be waiting for us Us 1 Mud Monster 0. Back by 2pm after a stop for lunch. Saw some tracks near Hartebeesfontein. Seemed by the way the tracks were powered along the road some WD's had some fun just before us as well. Perfect day for riding. Here are some pics.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 07:22:42 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline LostAussie

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Re: Saturday 15th Ride NORTH or not ?Back Monday report.
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 11:38:18 am »

Eish....I'm still suffering from a sore shoulder after this ride but nothing is going to wipe the smile off my face !  I had a great time and hoot as ususal !  ;D

Gravelhound - I don't know how many nuts & bolts you lost on the ride - but I lost several including the choke lever to the mud monster - because it was there in the morning and gone the next day when I went to go start the bike - I'm still trying to figure out how I lost that one ???

I'm now in Denmark to see the 'lighties' and take my oldest son on a ride from here to Berlin, but I can tell you - I've already got 2nd thoughts about that idea - shite it's cold !! 

Snow's already laying on the ground in Denmark and the ground is already permafrosted - so we'll test the conditions first with their new quad for Xmas on their bestefar's (grandfather's) dairy farm  ;)

See you in the new year when we have our next ride !

There's always three sides to a story and only one of them is the absolute truth !

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 02:32:22 pm »
You have a GREAT one Evan.( LostAussie) and enjoy the time there. Take care and ride safe. See you in the New Year.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2007, 02:36:02 pm by blazes »
Current Scooters --

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 02:40:09 pm »
How the heck do you see game on all your rides?  :cool:

He who angers you, controls you.

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 02:56:04 pm »

That's because he goes on "game drives"  >:D

Offline blazes

• Forum Vendor
  • Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2007, 03:04:23 pm »

There's your answer. Right out of the HORSE'S mouth.
Current Scooters --

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 03:08:07 pm »

There's your answer. Right out of the HORSE'S mouth.

;D ;D

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 03:30:54 pm »
Sounds a bit horsy to me.  :mrgreen:

He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Splash

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 04:24:30 pm »
Mondays ride was fantastic - thanks blazes - wonderful game farms towards Hammanskraal. Little mud this time (stuck to good gravel), but the speed compensated. Got a shower every now and then as we seemed to pass through weather on our way. Much more tired than I anticipated - seemed easy riding at the time, but still lots to see and road to look at. Stopped for coffee to get going and again for brunch to keep going - becoming a regular in Cullinan.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 07:49:28 am by Splash »
Have bike, will ride.